Ultra fast Aspen Wood Build

BoJonJovi

Ultra fast Aspen Wood Build
« on: 28 Mar 2014, 10:05 pm »

Last Saturday I put these together and it was very fast.
Build list is very basic.
2-2'x4' Aspen panels purchased at Lowes
2-1"x8" Aspen boards
8 brass hinges from a junk box in the garage.
2- Electro Voice SP12B. I bought them as singles so they are not matched other than ohm, cones, back logo. Matched sets in great condition are listed for much higher but rarely sell. Guess the sellers are fishing.
Nuts/Bolts/Screws as needed
Lepia 20 dollar amp
3.5 to RCA from electronics junk box.
Cost for wood and amp around 120 bucks and Electro Voice from ebay variable but about 120 with shipping.

This build literally required three cuts. I stacked my 8 foot aspen boards. I cut both in a single pass through the middle with a slight angle so i could use them as wings and tilt the speaker back.
I used a homemade router jig and cut 2 circles one in each speaker.
I laid it all out and put it together.
Aspen is a very soft porous wood. My theory is soft and porous woods provide better sound dampening than stiff ultra dense woods and MDF which might ring like a bell in the right situation.
Aspen is also pleasant to work as there are no glues. I think it is a very attractive wood as well. I will probably finish with natural oil and a coat of low luster poly.
The panels came pre-sanded, wrapped in plastic and ready for a finish if so desired.

They sound good. Base is a thin. I really just wanted to set them around my computer where I work and stream. I certainly like them better than my dinky computer speakers. I think I will steal the sub off my computer speakers to augment the base.

I just wanted to show how quick and easy a build could go together using the Aspen components. Will I keep them? Ya until I get bored and swap out the EV's with some other 12" whim or add Martin H frames.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Ultra fast Aspen Wood Build
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2014, 11:59 pm »
Nice  :thumb:  thanks for sharing.

Lin