Electrovoice 15TRX MkII in an OB Configuration?

tlarwa

Electrovoice 15TRX MkII in an OB Configuration?
« on: 11 Mar 2014, 03:26 pm »
I can pick up a NOS pair of these 3-ways for a reasonable price, and have been wanting to try an OB system.  Would they work well in this configuration?  I have NO experience with OB, although I have built speakers (most recently a pair of FH3's).  I assume I'd run these full-range with no need for a crossover other than the internal one?  Any idea what the size of the baffle would need to be?  Any other issues I should consider?  I'd be driving them with a Fisher 400 tuber receiver.

Thanks!

DanH

Re: Electrovoice 15TRX MkII in an OB Configuration?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2014, 06:04 pm »
To get good low bass in a open baffle without equalization you need a driver with a Qts of  around .7 or greater. I am no ev expert but I think their woofers are generally in the .3 to .4 range. That being said I have seen these drivers in a JE Labs type open baffle somewhere on the web. They would probably need a subwoofer or helper woofer for bass support.

This is a good site for ob design issues. http://www.quarter-wave.com/

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2014, 11:39 am »
Looks like a fun project, however I'd second the notion on counting on subs underneath.

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2014, 04:25 pm »
That JE Labs style baffle is a proven design, and would be a good starting point (I'd use mdf for the test mules) to see what you think of the sound.

I found much more musical satisfaction with a subwoofer - eventually I went OB subs, but a good sealed sub placed in between the baffles made good sound too.

Have fun!

tryman

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2014, 11:23 am »
I have 12trxb that have qts 0.67 I think the 15 will have the same qts
so quickly try them