My first OB

chrislittle

My first OB
« on: 20 Jan 2014, 01:07 am »
This is my first OB. I'll include dsome more details if anyone is interested.

It's actually my third. The first was a couple of 6.5 drivers ina small baffle just to confirm there was some interesting phenomena to justify a real speaker. The second was a 1/2" plywood mockup of the finished version to confirm it was worth buying some nice materials for the final.

Details: 2 Celestion 15" pro sound drivers, Dayton PS220 full range. 1-3/4" thick Maple baffles w/ walnut bases.

Folsom

Re: My first OB
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2014, 01:50 am »
Do you like it?

Crossover?

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2014, 02:21 am »
Hi chrislittle and all Audio Circle members.
Nice looking speakers.
Are the woofers 12 or 15"?
What's your impressions on the Dayton PS220?
Do you drive all drivers with one amplifier
and what make and model of amplifier do you use?
The baffle looks (Too) close to the back wall,
is it only for the purpose of the picture?
I hope all my questions will find answers.

Guy 13

chrislittle

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2014, 09:35 pm »
Thanks for looking,

It's good I like it. Real tight high end like sound with good trail-off on the ends of notes or impulses. I little bit lean in the low bass, but the midbass boost, and the really cool ambient effect of the OB in the bass/midbass area makes the music very engaging and pretty real/live sounding.
 Woofers are 15" got them on a buyout from Parts express. They are not available anymore but there are a couple others that would work ok I think.
I like the PS 220. I'm used to listening to Scanspeak D2904/7100 w/ 18W/8535 midbass. Very high end speaker with brilliant sounding highs and very clear mids. The PS 220 sounds different but the high end is clean and crisp and gives me just as much satisfaction. Midrange is nice too. I'm not using a notch filter for the edgy issues some people claim with the ps 220 and I don't have any complaints.   "When You Belive" from the prince of egypt, Mariah Carey/Whitney Houston is the only track I found that shows a little bit of edgyness in the Timbre of their extremely high and piercing voices. It smoothed out a little bit with break in. No other tracks I can think of to complain about.

All drivers driven with the same amplifier. McIntosh MA6500 w/ All silver speaker wires.

Baffles are 3 feet from the rear wall. Modeled on X-Baffle 3-4 feet gave best looking FR.

Crossover is a single 8.5 mH inductor.

Chris

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2014, 10:25 pm »
If you want, you could add a plate amp to the lower woofer or two, on each speaker.  It would give you all the bass you want,  by bi amping the set.

I am researching right now, on a diy set, that will look simulare to yours, but only one coax and one woofer.

Looks great, like the clean design.  :thumb:

chrislittle

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2014, 10:41 pm »
Thanks, I'm kind of happy how they turned out!

If you want to try it with yours, the baffle was made from a workbench top from Global Industrial, and the bases are butcher blocks from a seller on ebay. The braces are shelf brackets from Home Depot.

I switched away from a bi-amp system a couple of years ago. I'm not sure I want to go back. It limits the kind of designs I can pull off, but I like the challenge and the simplicity.

Chris