Custom Internal Wiring for Omega Speakers

Guy 13

Re: Custom Internal Wiring for Omega Speakers
« Reply #20 on: 13 Nov 2013, 12:09 pm »
Seems these gauges you mention will offer a more friendly impedance to the amp, but I could not use it myself.
I understand the option of these manufacturers as a thinner wire have less resistence and less cost.
Hi FULLRANGEMAN and all Audio Circle members.
I don't know about you, but me, with my technical knowledge:
The thinner the wire , the more impedance Ohms you have.
The larger in diameter the wire is, the less resistance you have.
Am I right ?

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 13 Nov 2013, 03:23 pm »
Hi FULLRANGEMAN and all Audio Circle members.
I don't know about you, but me, with my technical knowledge:
The thinner the wire , the more impedance Ohms you have.
The larger in diameter the wire is, the less resistance you have.
Am I right ?

Guy 13
I feel the factor is the quality of the copper.
Seems to me a raw copper thick wire will offer more resistance to the electrical signal than a thin excellent copper.
But I may be wrong.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #22 on: 13 Nov 2013, 04:05 pm »
I think internal wiring and connectors as cheap spice.
They are there just for convenience.

Yes and no. meaning yes for convenience and cable sales. No connectors for me bare wire. One can with a single driver speaker very easily connect speaker cable from driver to amp.
   If Omega uses Jupiter wire then by all means try Jupiter wire to amp. Anytime one can eliminate a connector do so. Less resistance, inductance and impedance. Less solder connections as well.
    BTW if Louis likes Jupiter wire for his design it must be right for the design, that's Louis for ya.

charles

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 13 Nov 2013, 04:31 pm »
Guy13, yes.  :thumb:

FRM, The quality of the copper effects the sound quality but not the overall resistance of the wire.

If you want, it is not difficult to calculate the voltage and amperage going to your speakers... with a small tube amp and efficient speakers it's not much.

V = IR
                >   P = V^2/R, V=sqrt(PR)
P = IV

So... say I'm running all out 5 watts into my 8 ohm Super 3s... voltage is ~6.3 volts. I = V/R so amperage = .7875 amps.

Voltage drop on a 10' run of speaker cable will be about 2.5% for 20 gauge wire... it'll be fine  :)

beowulf

« Reply #24 on: 13 Nov 2013, 09:51 pm »
Guy13, yes.  :thumb:

FRM, The quality of the copper effects the sound quality but not the overall resistance of the wire.

If you want, it is not difficult to calculate the voltage and amperage going to your speakers... with a small tube amp and efficient speakers it's not much.

V = IR
                >   P = V^2/R, V=sqrt(PR)
P = IV

So... say I'm running all out 5 watts into my 8 ohm Super 3s... voltage is ~6.3 volts. I = V/R so amperage = .7875 amps.

Voltage drop on a 10' run of speaker cable will be about 2.5% for 20 gauge wire... it'll be fine  :)

Wow thanks for this breakdown Dave ... I failed math, but believe it or not I somehow think I got this :icon_lol:

A 10 gauge silver wire and silver solder at the driver sounds pretty interesting, but this driver was not voiced with silver in mind so I'm not sure how it would sound, but I'm still curious from driver to amp without any terminations and/or binding posts.

I can say that in my experience I tried both silver and copper cables with the Omega 7F drivers and I thought that the silver gave me better extended highs (it just seemed like the upper end came through a lot more) than the copper did and for a single range driver - to me this seems like a good thing.  I was able to pick up a cable design very similar to the Decware Zen Styx for almost the cost to make them and I ultimately chose silver as my preference ... but I'm not sure if this was all just psychological and goes against my initial statement about how can it sound different if the outside cable is not the same as the inside cable. My only thoughts are that perhaps silver (with better conductivity) transferred the signal to a higher degree (up to a certain point) than the copper did?  Does that make any sense or am I just whacked? :duh:

Guy 13

« Reply #25 on: 13 Nov 2013, 11:23 pm »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
Try this link, it will make your life easier when trying to calculate wire power loss.

http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf

Quality of wire material (Silver vs copper) and wire loss are very different.

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #26 on: 14 Nov 2013, 12:36 am »
It is know that raw silver wire had worse soundquality than copper.
Seems most silver cables are refined silver and sound good.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #27 on: 14 Nov 2013, 03:18 am »
IMO... silver is pretty bad unless it's 4N or better purity. Duelund and Neotech are both 5N+ purity and they sound much better than normal 4N silver wire. Silver is a better conductor but only by a few percent, it's not a huge difference.

If you have a run of speaker cable and different wiring inside the speaker cabinet, the resultant sound will be a mix of the two roughly in proportion to how much is used.

beo, you might want to try UPOCC copper as well, it's much better than normal copper and much cheaper than silver. I think it's the best value for the money in speaker cables.

beowulf

« Reply #28 on: 14 Nov 2013, 09:46 pm »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
Try this link, it will make your life easier when trying to calculate wire power loss.

http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf

Quality of wire material (Silver vs copper) and wire loss are very different.

Guy 13

Thanks for that link Guy 13 ... that comes in handy!

beowulf

« Reply #29 on: 14 Nov 2013, 09:55 pm »
IMO... silver is pretty bad unless it's 4N or better purity. Duelund and Neotech are both 5N+ purity and they sound much better than normal 4N silver wire. Silver is a better conductor but only by a few percent, it's not a huge difference.

If you have a run of speaker cable and different wiring inside the speaker cabinet, the resultant sound will be a mix of the two roughly in proportion to how much is used.

beo, you might want to try UPOCC copper as well, it's much better than normal copper and much cheaper than silver. I think it's the best value for the money in speaker cables.

Yes, I'm saving up for the OCC style cables - I believe it has merit to it's design and would like to try your cables when I am ready to purchase.  I read an interesting paper from Tempo Electric on solid core silver cabling and found it interesting as well - however prices can get stupid for 10 and 12 gauge solid core cables (especially because I need 10 feet)!

Guy 13

« Reply #30 on: 14 Nov 2013, 11:48 pm »
Yes, I'm saving up for the OCC style cables - I believe it has merit to it's design and would like to try your cables when I am ready to purchase.  I read an interesting paper from Tempo Electric on solid core silver cabling and found it interesting as well - however prices can get stupid for 10 and 12 gauge solid core cables (especially because I need 10 feet)!
Hi beowulf and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks for the link to tempoelectric.
However, I must say that their prices are crazy,
the pure silver 12ga. 10 feet speaker wire is for the rich,
not for me the poor audiophile.
Therefore, I will stick with my multistrand copper 12ga. speaker wire.

Guy 13

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #31 on: 15 Nov 2013, 02:38 am »
beo, UPOCC copper is cleaner, faster, more detailed and more dynamic than regular copper but doesn't have the "weight and body" of regular copper which may or may not be a good thing depending on your personal preferences. The warmth of regular copper is distortion and masks fine detail and makes the cable sound "slower" and less dynamic as well, but on the plus side it adds a fullness to the tonality of the system that some folks like. The cables I sell are even moreso like UPOCC copper as they are a litz design, the 14g wire has ~1060 individually insulated runs of 44g UPOCC copper wire braided around a flat film core which makes them even faster and more detailed than using regular UPOCC copper wire. If you ever want to give my cables a try I have a 10' pair of 14 or 20g cables I can loan out. The 14g cable is slightly better than the 20 even with small amps but the difference is very minor until you get into higher powered systems.

Guy 13

« Reply #32 on: 15 Nov 2013, 03:08 am »
Hi DaveC113 ad all Audio Circle members.
How much for your 10 feet loaners and what termination do they have?

Guy 13

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #33 on: 15 Nov 2013, 03:11 pm »
Hi Guy, If you're an established AC member I would send out a loaner for free, but you'd have to pay shipping both ways. They would have a simple wire soldered to the end of the cable for a termination, so pretty much "bare wire".

It's pretty likely I will start a speaker cable tour as the interconnect tour winds down, for that I'd probably send out a 12' pair with spades on one end and bananas on the other...

Louis O

« Reply #34 on: 24 Nov 2013, 04:41 pm »
Hi All,

Great thread and I will say That I am a huge fan of Dave's cables and I have both speaker and IC in my system and use them everyday.

I would easily be very happy to add them inside of any speaker I make.

Thanks again,
Louis