VMPS Inventory available

John Casler

Re: VMPS Inventory available
« Reply #160 on: 30 Mar 2016, 06:38 pm »
John,
Do you still have any of the 15" Ultramega PR's left. I think I would like to get a set of these for my ST/R's. Was there an Ultramega 15" woofer that fit the ST/R?
Thanks,
Brian

Hi Brian,

I will check, but I know inventory was running low.

Regarding the Active 15" woofers;  Brian used different 15" drivers in different models over the years, so it is impossible to know what "currently available" driver might substitute.

John Casler

« Reply #161 on: 31 Mar 2016, 01:37 am »
John,
Do you still have any of the 15" Ultramega PR's left. I think I would like to get a set of these for my ST/R's. Was there an Ultramega 15" woofer that fit the ST/R?
Thanks,
Brian

Just got an answer and sent you an e-mail.  We have a few left.

oliverbubbles

« Reply #162 on: 25 Apr 2016, 08:57 pm »
Hello, Ive been a member a while but just lurked Mostly. Previously had a vintage pair of Super Tower II SE. Just picked up a pair of Tower II's and what I think is an original Larger Subwoofer. All drivers need re-foamed which i can handle but the 15 passive in the Larger Subwoofer I believe is shot as it sags something terrible. Is there any replacement 15 inch passive available for its replacement? I know I could go get a generic passive and work at tuning it but would rather have something that Brian would have approved of in going in this design at some point.

John Casler

« Reply #163 on: 25 Apr 2016, 11:06 pm »
Hello, Ive been a member a while but just lurked Mostly. Previously had a vintage pair of Super Tower II SE. Just picked up a pair of Tower II's and what I think is an original Larger Subwoofer. All drivers need re-foamed which i can handle but the 15 passive in the Larger Subwoofer I believe is shot as it sags something terrible. Is there any replacement 15 inch passive available for its replacement? I know I could go get a generic passive and work at tuning it but would rather have something that Brian would have approved of in going in this design at some point.

Hi Oliver,

There are a handful of the 15" Ultra-Mega Passives left.  They are extremely heavy duty and will play noticeably deeper and to higher SPL.

I will PM you details if you are interested.

oliverbubbles

« Reply #164 on: 26 Apr 2016, 12:26 pm »
On a side note ( just in case) are there any upgrade replacement drivers available for either/ both the larger sub and/ or the Tower II's, or or does anyone know of someone who may know the specs on the original drivers so i may be able to search for some. Originals are in good condition except for surrounds but if good drivers are available reasonably, it may be worth paying the difference between the re-foam kits and the drivers.  ( just an idea I thought i would look into before making a final decision).

John, Thank you. i will let you know as soon as i get the original passive out to be sure my assumption of it being shot is correct. It appears as if the spider has sagged terribly over the years. And on that note; does anyone have any tricks to getting to the passive on the larger sub? it appears that the bottom of cabinet was stapled together around the passive. i hate to damage the cabinet in this process.

safesphere

« Reply #165 on: 20 Jul 2016, 06:52 am »
Hi John,

I am repairing my RM2s that I bought from Brian a long while ago. I believe my units were the first with the new 160-Hz panels (that eventually self destroyed). Do you still have any UltraMega PRs left, as well as neo panels and tweeters, spiral or FST? Also, any crossover upgrades?

Kind regards,
Alex
Kansas City

Stimpy

« Reply #166 on: 20 Jul 2016, 05:47 pm »
Hi Alex,

I'm sure John will respond soon.  But, he's also involved in launching the new EVOKE line of loudspeakers too.  So, maybe nudge him a bit, by sending him a PM too, with your needs.  Also, if John comes up short on parts, PM me, and I can recommend some possible eBay sourced replacement alternatives.

One thing scares me with your RM-2 comments.  Your's seem to use the original 160 Hz crossover point.  I believe Brian revised that a bit higher, in later versions.  Somewhere around 270 Hz.  As such, your planar mids won't respond well to high power.  Unless you can mod the crossover point, I wouldn't crank the speakers too much, once you get replacement mids.

Good luck.

John Casler

« Reply #167 on: 20 Jul 2016, 09:57 pm »
Hi John,

I am repairing my RM2s that I bought from Brian a long while ago. I believe my units were the first with the new 160-Hz panels (that eventually self destroyed). Do you still have any UltraMega PRs left, as well as neo panels and tweeters, spiral or FST? Also, any crossover upgrades?

Kind regards,
Alex
Kansas City

Hi Alex,

I'll check with the Widow to see what is left.

Send me an e-mail.

safesphere

« Reply #168 on: 21 Jul 2016, 09:01 am »
One thing scares me with your RM-2 comments...
Hi Stimpy,

Thank you for your advice! I appreciate it. I plan to measure the crossover frequencies soon, perhaps this coming weekend. I do feel that the panels are not as clean starting from about a half the volume, so you may be correct.

Kind regards,
Alex

Stimpy

« Reply #169 on: 21 Jul 2016, 05:50 pm »
Hi Stimpy,

Thank you for your advice! I appreciate it. I plan to measure the crossover frequencies soon, perhaps this coming weekend. I do feel that the panels are not as clean starting from about a half the volume, so you may be correct.

Kind regards,
Alex

You're welcome!  Again, I hope everything works out with the speaker repairs.

As to the mid panel crossover, I'd tweak it, if possible.  My Monsoon FPF600s and FPF1000s speakers use the same mid panels, and Monsoon used a 400 Hz high pass point.  So anywhere from 275 Hz to 400 Hz should work.  I guess it would depend if you want more or less midbass, to determine which point to use.  Fast and clean, 275 Hz, slightly warmer 400 Hz.

John Casler

« Reply #170 on: 21 Jul 2016, 08:04 pm »
Yes, Brian used 155hz, 166hz, 210hz, 220hz and maybe even up to 250hz from the woofs to the Neopanels, depending on model and WHEN they were made.

The last few years were at the 210+ levels.

The upper hinge was 5.9Khz and 6.9Khz, again depending on the tweeter used.

His main focus always being to use the greatest usable FR from the Neopanels, without XO and phase issues.

safesphere

« Reply #171 on: 22 Jul 2016, 05:57 am »
So anywhere from 275 Hz to 400 Hz should work.  I guess it would depend if you want more or less midbass, to determine which point to use.  Fast and clean, 275 Hz, slightly warmer 400 Hz.

Hi Stimpy,

My RM2s have 12" Mega Woofers. They look like carbon fiber. Do you know what their highest frequency is? I mean, even 275 Hz might be too high for them to handle, no?

Thanks,
Alex

Stimpy

« Reply #172 on: 22 Jul 2016, 11:39 pm »
Hi Stimpy,

My RM2s have 12" Mega Woofers. They look like carbon fiber. Do you know what their highest frequency is? I mean, even 275 Hz might be too high for them to handle, no?

Thanks,
Alex

A good quality 12" woofer will have absolutely have no issues with playing up to 275 Hz, and even higher!  Brian personally designed his woven carbon fiber woofer, and had it manufactured to his specs.  So, as well built as it is, I wouldn't worry with it playing higher in frequency.  You're not going to damage it!

Also, one of the best selling, and best sounding 12" 3-way speakers of all time, is the classic Acoustic Research AR-3a.  All versions of the 3 and 3a have a paper cone 12" woofer, that crossed over to their mid at around 575 Hz.  Even Infinity used their 12" woofers up to 800 Hz in the Kappa 7. 

Stimpy

« Reply #173 on: 22 Jul 2016, 11:46 pm »
I just found this too.

http://pointillistic.com/vmps-audio/RM2.htm

In the final version of the RM-2, Brian was using a 280 Hz crossover point to the panels...

Sennguy

« Reply #174 on: 24 Nov 2016, 07:37 am »
Hi John,

I am still using a pair of original subwoofers I bought from Brian. One dates back to the late 80's. Both woofers were upgraded to carbon fiber and the passive radiators were upgraded but not to the Ultra-Mega Passives. Do you still have any Ultra-Mega Passives left?

Regards,
Mark

MarkR

« Reply #175 on: 27 Dec 2016, 02:27 am »
Thank you to John for posting the inventory available thread!  I am new to audio circle and have Super Tower II/ar's.

Invisilink

« Reply #176 on: 27 Feb 2017, 04:16 am »
I realize this post is a few years old, but I need a 10" and 12" woofer for one of my RMX speakers.  Also, if there are newer drivers, say after 2005, or other drivers that work and may be better than the originals, I would need another pair for the other speaker as well.

Thanks,

Ron

safesphere

« Reply #177 on: 27 Feb 2017, 04:49 am »
I just found this too.

http://pointillistic.com/vmps-audio/RM2.htm

In the final version of the RM-2, Brian was using a 280 Hz crossover point to the panels...

Does anyone have a circuit diagram of the crossover in Ribbon Monitor 2? Would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Invisilink

« Reply #178 on: 1 Mar 2017, 11:20 pm »
I am looking for a 10 and 12 inch driver for one RMX speaker.  Two of each may be necessary to make sure both sides are the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

Audionautic

« Reply #179 on: 11 Mar 2017, 02:25 am »
I have break-up in the midrange or tweeter in one of my two LRCs, used on a bookshelf. I'd be interested in buying a pair of both the midrange panels and the spiral tweeters or suitable alternates as available. Any help would be appreciated as I really love these speakers. Please see photos attached.
Thanks.