Elyse DAC Review: Thanks to Srajan of 6 Moons!

modwright

Elyse DAC Review: Thanks to Srajan of 6 Moons!
« on: 21 Jan 2016, 05:30 pm »
Thanks to Srajan for a wonderful review of the Elyse DAC!

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/modwright/1.html

« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2017, 07:14 pm by modwright »

talk2me

Re: Elyse DAC Review: Thanks to Srajan of 6 Moons!
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2016, 11:44 pm »
To quote Mr. Ebaen," Vive la difference!" The Elyse DAC just does not sound like "digital". Congrat's Dan. It has body, heft, dimension, presence and clarity.

cheech

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2016, 09:22 pm »
Congrats Dan! Elyse is definitely the most muscially rewarding DAC I have owned

Ampus

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2016, 07:32 am »
 Am I missing something?  I thought that the review was lukewarm.  I also found it hard to understand the points that the reviewer was trying to get through.  The reviewer seemed to prefer the Labtek's Oppo 105D Elle over the Elyse.  He also claimed that the Elyse was "less resolved and astute" which I disagree.  In essence, it was not the kind of review that makes one run out to get the Elyse.  This in itself is a real disservice to the Elyse!

To me, the Elyse is very musical, especially with NOS tubes.  The music is layered.  The soundstage is great.  The vocals are so real.  The Elyse gives you the illusion of the performers being in your room.

I listened to other DAC's including Hugo TT in high end systems and didn't care much for them.  There was just no musicality. I could not wait to skip to the next song. 

With the Elyse, you are compelled to sit down and enjoy the whole song / album.  I find myself enjoying CD's that I previously could only listen to for a few minutes on my CD player before becoming fatigued. The musicality, the soundstage, and the details are just great with the Elyse!  I have a great analog rig but haven't been using it since I got the Elyse.

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2016, 04:17 pm »
Thank you for your feedback!  I feel that the Elyse is very resolving AND musical.  It is JUST the sound that I like!  I often find that gear that is COMPLETELY neutral and tremendously detailed, etc., just lacks life and musicality.  That is not to say that I design with 'coloration' in mind.  To be honest, I don't find the Elyse to be colored at all. It is the cleanest and simplest analog stage possible, with no coupling caps, all Class A griodes and transformers.

As far as measurements go, both by myself and independently by Bascom King, the unit measures VERY well in terms of bandwidth, distortion and noise.

We all prefer different  things of course.  Our customers that know and love our products WILL love the sound of the Elyse DAC.

Thanks,

Dan W.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2016, 05:43 pm »
Am I missing something?  I thought that the review was lukewarm.  I also found it hard to understand the points that the reviewer was trying to get through.

+1! I thought he was infatuated with his own writing style.    :duh:

jriggy

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2016, 07:00 pm »
Sarjan's reviews are a little eclectic, esoteric and hard to follow at times but I actually found this one kinda ok. haha. He is a "review by comparison" type reviewer. So I always end up needing to read the other linked/mentioned gear reviews within the article, then come back again to fully understand his comparison thoughts... So any comments of the Elyse being "less resolved" seems to be up against something that I would, personally, probably feel was on the analytical and/or solid state side.

But I thought it was positive and it actually DID make me want to "run out and hear one." Ive heard it at a show but would now love to hear one, even more, in my system. The way he described it (and all of the comments from you owners) definitely sounds like my cup of tea and puts it on top of the very short list.

talk2me

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2016, 04:34 am »
The Elyse DAC allows me to connect to music  more emotionally, and that is what counts for me.