BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

Phil A

Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #40 on: 22 Oct 2012, 04:30 pm »
Also, you mentioned that there might be an add-on ASYNCH USB adapter (?) for the BDA-1 that would support up to 24/192.   Thanks

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106813.80

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #41 on: 22 Oct 2012, 04:41 pm »
James, what about FOOBAR2000 on Windows with the latest WASAPI add-on (bypasses all Windows sampling and volume controls to send out unaltered bitstream)?

Also, you mentioned that there might be an add-on ASYNCH USB adapter (?) for the BDA-1 that would support up to 24/192.    Any reason why this wouldn't also work for the SP3?   I take it the output of this device would be standard SPDIF coax.

Thanks

Hi Techguy,

Tried Foobar with ASIO and so far no luck with high res files.  Will try WASAPI.

Yes the USB interface will allow you to use your computer USB out to AES or COAX or BNC .

james

techguy

« Reply #42 on: 22 Oct 2012, 05:13 pm »
Thanks for quick response James.  Looks like it nicely matches all other Bryston equipment.   I assume Bryston will be providing a Windows driver to go with the Asynch device to support 24/192 on Windows otherwise Windows limits output to 24/96 over USB.

As for Wasapi, I've been using it for years with Foobar2000 and works very well for me and I've been able to confirm with my limited testing that it bypasses all output processing for bitstream pass-thru.   There is a new version of Wasapi on the Foobar site that was released recently that provides some additional settings to the last one issued in 2009 but I haven't otherwise seen any difference in sound quality.   

Are you able to provide the list price that this USB adapter will go for?

Phil A

« Reply #43 on: 22 Oct 2012, 05:15 pm »
James, with Foobar (which I just downloaded a month back) and WASAPI I've had no trouble playing back DSD files at 192kHz.  Downloaded it as I'm starting to digitize the music files.  I assume the USB box can be either black or silver face plate?  I know you indicated it would be before the end of the year.  Is that still on target?  Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 22 Oct 2012, 05:22 pm »
Thanks for quick response James.  Looks like it nicely matches all other Bryston equipment.   I assume Bryston will be providing a Windows driver to go with the Asynch device to support 24/192 on Windows otherwise Windows limits output to 24/96 over USB.

As for Wasapi, I've been using it for years with Foobar2000 and works very well for me and I've been able to confirm with my limited testing that it bypasses all output processing for bitstream pass-thru.   There is a new version of Wasapi on the Foobar site that was released recently that provides some additional settings to the last one issued in 2009 but I haven't otherwise seen any difference in sound quality.   

Are you able to provide the list price that this USB adapter will go for?

Hi Guys,

Yes we are including the Windows drivers in a small USB key so you can load them on your computer. (MAC already has the drivers installed)

Yes I was a bit surprised that JRiver and MMonkey worked out of the gate with ASIO and FOOBAR did not - will keep experimenting.

I am hoping in the $600 range and about 3 months away for production as we are uo to our ears in the BDA-2 which includes the USB async USB feature built in.

Available in Silver or Black 

james

techguy

« Reply #45 on: 22 Oct 2012, 05:49 pm »
James,  A couple more questions and hopefully the last ones.

I see the unit has a front power switch but no 12 V trigger on the back.  Does the unit put itself to sleep when not in use or is it designed to stay on all the time?

Also, this question may seem out of place given the high resolution music purpose of this device but will the unit allow Dolby Digital/DTS to pass thru it with the custom driver?   Even given the low resolution of those formats, the asynch processing would reduce jitter when playing back those formats as well on a DVD thru a computer.   I have a number of DVD-based concerts that don't always have a PCM stereo bitstream on them that this would improve sound quality.

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #46 on: 22 Oct 2012, 05:59 pm »
James,  A couple more questions and hopefully the last ones.

I see the unit has a front power switch but no 12 V trigger on the back.  Does the unit put itself to sleep when not in use or is it designed to stay on all the time?

Also, this question may seem out of place given the high resolution music purpose of this device but will the unit allow Dolby Digital/DTS to pass thru it with the custom driver?   Even given the low resolution of those formats, the asynch processing would reduce jitter when playing back those formats as well on a DVD thru a computer.   I have a number of DVD-based concerts that don't always have a PCM stereo bitstream on them that this would improve sound quality.

Thanks

Hi - We will probably add a trigger.

Not sure on the DVD pass-through - we have a Digital Pass-through on the BDA-2 but not sure if we can impement it into the USB Interface? - will ask engineering.

james

Vipers

« Reply #47 on: 24 Oct 2012, 01:42 pm »

james

Interesting James, don't know what is is the water in Canada at the moment but your R&D team are certainly working overtime.

Any ideas on a name yet? I'm guessing, maybe the BUC-1?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 24 Oct 2012, 02:00 pm »
Interesting James, don't know what is is the water in Canada at the moment but your R&D team are certainly working overtime.

Any ideas on a name yet? I'm guessing, maybe the BUC-1?

Whomever comes up with the best name wins a free one  :thumb:

james

srb

« Reply #49 on: 24 Oct 2012, 02:14 pm »
BDA-#   Bryston Digital to Analog converter
BDP-#   Bryston Digital Player
BDI-#   Bryston Digital Interface

MauriceMinor

« Reply #50 on: 24 Oct 2012, 02:25 pm »
Whomever comes up with the best name wins a free one  :thumb:

james

Bryston Converter Interface / BCI-1

terrycym

« Reply #51 on: 24 Oct 2012, 02:26 pm »
BUA-1  Bryston USB Adapter - does what it says :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #52 on: 24 Oct 2012, 02:28 pm »
BUS-1, BUSB-1, USB-1 or BAS-1 (for async USB)

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #53 on: 24 Oct 2012, 02:51 pm »
My entry:

BDU-1

which is more in line with previous names.  :banana piano:

Bob

Marius

« Reply #54 on: 24 Oct 2012, 02:55 pm »
Hi James,

Could you still add a front USB port also (not an extra, but doubling the back port)?

The back port is great for fixed aparatus, (like a new MacMini for example...) but a front port would make life much easier on those that bring their laptops to play more infrequently (is that an english word.. :scratch:) and connecting to it so much easier. Positioning the BUC-1 more elegantly too.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi - We will probably add a trigger.

Not sure on the DVD pass-through - we have a Digital Pass-through on the BDA-2 but not sure if we can impement it into the USB Interface? - will ask engineering.

james

Marius

« Reply #55 on: 24 Oct 2012, 03:01 pm »
oops almost forgot to enter the sweepstake...

since it is about Hires, (the BDA1 already has an USB interface) i'd opt for BHU-1, Bryston Hires Usb-converter . Hires might have a better 'ring' to it too than Asynchronous.

Marius

tankhouse

« Reply #56 on: 24 Oct 2012, 03:21 pm »
Hi Guys,
My name idea for the little unit  :)

How about BAC-192  (Bryston Asynchronous Converter-goes to 192 )

Jason

Jon L

« Reply #57 on: 24 Oct 2012, 03:56 pm »
Hi Guys,

Yes we are including the Windows drivers in a small USB key so you can load them on your computer. (MAC already has the drivers installed)

Yes I was a bit surprised that JRiver and MMonkey worked out of the gate with ASIO and FOOBAR did not - will keep experimenting.

james

That is surprising.  Sometimes one has to download Asio4ALL and use that as ASIO shell to work with Foobar if you want to see how that sounds. 

My fave foobar sound-quality-wise has been 0.8.3, but it only works on Win XP not 7, so I presume you don't have XP setup.

BTW, I realize Bryston believes in solid engineering, but do try the Cardas Clear USB cable if you can.  At $134/meter, it sounds incredibly "clear" and musical compared to oem usb cables and some of the high $$ USB cables..

BTW, for the USB converter, I like:
BDG-1 (Bryston Digital Gate)
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2012, 05:16 pm by Jon L »

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #58 on: 24 Oct 2012, 04:39 pm »
BHC-1     Bryston Hi-Rez Converter
BHI-1      Bryston Hi-Rez Interface
BHA-1     Bryston Hi-Rez Adapter
BCIA-1    Bryston Computer Interface Adapter

srb