Cherry Amps at Iowa Audio GTG

mojave

Cherry Amps at Iowa Audio GTG
« on: 24 Apr 2013, 07:25 pm »
On April 27 I am helping out with the Iowa Audio GTG in Des Moines, IA.

Here is what we will have present for speakers:

Seaton Sound Catalyst 12C (with a pair of JTR Captivator S2 subs)
JTR Speakers Noesis 212HT (with a pair of JTR Captivator S2 subs)
Salk Veracity HT2-TL (with a pair of JTR Captivator S2 subs)
Bamberg Audio Series 5 TMW (fullrange)
GR-Research LS-6 (fullrange)
SVS Ultra (fullrange)

The playback chain will be computer (JRiver Media Center) > DAC > amps > speakers. We will use balanced interconnects for the DACs  to the amps.

We will use dual Mytek Stereo 192-DSD DACs for playback during the formal listening (about 1 hr per speaker) and a Lynx Aurora 8 DAC for playback during the blind listening.

Amplifiers will be Wyred4Sound SX1000 monoblocks and I am bringing Digital Amp Company Cherry Plus monoblocks, Cherry monoblock, and Cherry Jr.

I will be arriving on Thursday night and helping with system setup, measurements, and EQ on Friday. Mark Seaton (Seaton Sound), Jeff Permanian (JTR Speakers), and Phil Bamberg (Bamberg Audio) will all be there on Friday as well. Saturday will be the actual day of the GTG. There will be about 25 people present.

Saturday evening we will be doing some multi-channel playback. First, we will have 3 Mytek Stereo 192-DSD DAC's connected via USB and clocked to each other for 5.1 DSD playback using the Cherry amps. Second, we will have the Lynx Aurora 8 DAC connected and have 5.1 Blu-ray playback using the Cherry amps. The speakers for the multi-channel will be 3 JTR Noesis 212HT, 2 JTR Noesis 228HT, and 2 JTR Captivator S2 subs.

It should be an extremely fun couple of days!  8)

Afterimage

Re: Cherry Amps at Iowa Audio GTG
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2013, 09:00 pm »
Can anyone attend the event?

mojave

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2013, 01:58 pm »
Can anyone attend the event?
When the event was announced at AVSForum by the host, dlbeck, it was open until 25 people had signed up to go. More people were put on a waiting list in case someone dropped out. As of now, it is at full capacity. There just isn't room to accommodate more people. Six of us will be there on Friday so on Saturday we hope to allow the 20 other people to each have a decent seat for part of the time while listening to the speakers.

fridays

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2013, 04:05 pm »
Where is this located, in case I want to crash the party :D

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2013, 05:12 pm »
This looks like a fun get together.  I'm curious about the blind listening tests.  How large is the big room?  The Seaton and JTR speakers are big pro driver, home theater speakers.   Although I would not want them in a music oriented system, I would imagine they would have a huge advantage over the Salk, Bamberg and GR Research speakers in a very large room because they can play at very high spl levels.  Conversely, I would imagine the Salk, Bamberg, etc speakers would have a large advantage in a music oriented system because they are more refined and suited to music versus HT (explosions, etc).

Either way, I look forward to hearing about the results and wish I could attend. Good luck to everyone. 

Jack

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2013, 03:02 pm »
The JTR speakers impress folks every time.  Does anyone know what drivers are used in their speakers?

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2013, 04:52 pm »
I did not attend the event but the Iowa GTG appeared to be a HT oriented gathering (even though they listened to some music) and I believe the JTR speakers (and the Seaton speakers) use pro audio drivers.  I believe Seaton uses B&C, but I'm not sure about the JTR.  If you want high SPL's, those speakers can surely deliver. 

I'm familiar with the Bamberg and Salk speakers that were shown, and feel they probably appeal to a different segment of the market.  If you want pinpoint imaging, tonal balance and detail in a reasonable sized room, they are excellent choices.  If you want extreme SPL's and huge dynamics in a large room, or if you want the ultimate HT speakers, there are better choices.  I'm a 2 channel music listener and prefer Salk and Bamberg to Seaton and JTR style speakers (although I have never heard JTR), but if I had a large HT space, a system built around JTR or Seaton speakers would be very cool. 

The Seaton speakers at Axpona sounded great for HT, and the big Submersive subwoofers were large and impressive.  I've never been into HT but can easily understand why these speakers are so popular.  They have a very nice finish and they make explosions sound BIGGER than the real thing.  Also, if you have a party and want to play real Rock concert SPL's, I'm confident the police will show up long before these speakers hit their limits. 

mojave

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2013, 11:20 pm »
The Iowa GTG was 2 channel oriented with only two channel music listened to until after midnight. David, the host, is primarily two channel and so am I. After midnight we did 5.1 system with 3 JTR Noesis 212HT for mains/center, 2 JTR Noesis 228HT for surrounds, and 2 JTR Captivator S2 subs. The JTR Noesis 212HT uses the BMS 4595ND for the coaxial compression driver. I'm not sure about the two 12" woofers.

The room size is 17' x 35 '. The speakers were positioned with the drivers between 7-8' into the room and 50-60" from the sidewalls. Each speaker owner/mfg could position their own speakers and could have chosen anywhere within about the first 10' of the room. Phil Bamberg positioned his so that the middle 3 seats in the first two rows had excellent sound.

The blind listening at the beginning didn't help one choose a speaker they liked best, but I think it did help break down any bias or preconceived ideas people had. We had 7 single speakers behind acoustically transparent fabric from Seymour AV. Each speaker received the combined L/R channels. All speakers were level matched and all were played "fullrange" with no subs. A song portion was played on each speaker sequentially. We played about 6 song clips altogether. When they couldn't see the speakers the listeners could pick out differences, but for the most part they had no idea to which speakers the differences applied. For example, someone thought the Bamberg's were the LS6's and I think someone thought the Noesis was the Salk. Obviously with one speaker you wouldn't hear any imaging or soundstage.

We ended up using Cherry amps exclusively for the GTG. All speakers were played at the save volume for a 25 minute playlist and then people could pick songs and play them at the level they desired.

In the room used, I thought the Bamberg and JTR Noesis speakers had the best imaging; the LS6's, Catalyst 12C's, and Noesis had the best dynamics and midbass; the LS6 and Catalyst were the best fullrange speakers; the Noesis and Salks had a beautiful upper midrange and highs; and the LS6's and Noesis were the most detailed.

One thing I, and some others noted, is that some songs sounded the worse on the Bamberg and LS6 systems. I think this could be due to their revealing nature as opposed to a flaw, but I'm bias since I own the LS6's.  :D

Overall, I thought the Noesis had the best sound of the day. I've had them in my room and compared directly to the Noesis. Their clarity is incredible, the image like crazy, and the speakers just completely disappear into the room. I would put them up against any of the $100,000+ audiophile speakers I have heard at RMAF. From the lowest volume to the highest volume the Noesis just get out of the way and give you that emotional connection to the music. So far, they are the only ones that have triggered an immediate purchase resulting from the Iowa GTG.

I thought the SVS speakers weren't in the same league as the rest and any of the rest of the speakers would appeal to a wide range of people desiring excellent two channel systems. One listener, Carp, is primarily two channel but he listens to a lot of heavy metal music. He immediately purchased the Noesis after hearing them at the end of last year.

Regarding listening levels, we calibrated all speakers to 83 dB using limited bandwidth pink noise and then listened at 15 dB below this level. The Bamberg's were the first speakers listened to and we used them to set the volume level so more sensitive speakers wouldn't have a volume advantage. With that said, I still think the Bamberg, Salks, and SVS speakers were at a disadvantage with peak output levels. Using a lower listening level demonstrated just how much dynamic capability is need to accurately render some music when played back at comfortable levels.

Since this is the Digital Amp Company forum, I will say the Cherry amps performed wonderful during the spirited 5.1 movie session. We  again calibrated at 83 dB, but this time we played up to +15 just for fun. We still had 3.5 dB more headroom with the volume control, but I suspect we were probably close to the amps' limits. I never heard any compression or clipping due to lack of power.

orientalexpress

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2013, 11:44 pm »
where the pictures? 8)

mojave

« Reply #9 on: 8 May 2013, 03:11 pm »
One of the guys attending took pictures. They are in the thread linked in the first post.