CARVER USING THE NAME "CHERRY"???? SERIOUSLY?

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: CARVER USING THE NAME "CHERRY"???? SERIOUSLY?
« Reply #60 on: 21 Apr 2012, 12:36 am »
I knew a gobbler at a turkey bar in Okinawa named Chrysanthemum.

Doc

medium jim

« Reply #61 on: 21 Apr 2012, 12:56 am »
And this thread just took a left turn.....

Jim

fredgarvin

« Reply #62 on: 21 Apr 2012, 01:04 am »
I have been waiting for a thread like this since

Carver announced this amp. Tommy let the big guy worry about your name instead.
My thoughts exactly, it's the first thing I thought of when Carver announced the Cherry. I'm a little disappointed in the remarks from our members here.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #63 on: 21 Apr 2012, 01:53 am »
If I was the Cherry amp guy, I'd be more worried about Bruno Putzeys than Bob Carver.

+1.  :wave: :rock:

:wink:

Anand.

first macro beat me to it, then you beat me to it, anand, w/the "+1".  so, +2.   i'd be way more worried about a real competitor than what name is on the label...   8)

a cherry by any other name will still have a pit in it...   :green:

doug s.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #64 on: 21 Apr 2012, 02:16 am »
I hadn't realized Bob named one of his new amps Cherry. I have been far too consumed with the seemingly endless streams of companies using the acronym "DAC".  :duh:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #65 on: 21 Apr 2012, 02:26 am »
When it rains, it pours. More bad news.

I just returned from the supermarket and, wouldn't you know it, there are at least a dozen brands of cherry soda competing for sales. Everybody is trying to latch onto the coat tails of mr amp designer.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #66 on: 21 Apr 2012, 02:42 am »
To macrojack's point, I'm super thirsty, and kind of tired. I want a Cherry Amp. But, what's the difference between the 180 watt one and the 800 watt one? More importantly,WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED TO THE PRICE OF A SODA??

medium jim

« Reply #67 on: 21 Apr 2012, 03:38 am »

werd

« Reply #68 on: 21 Apr 2012, 04:06 am »
Cherry - bad name for an amp, great name for a stripper.

Only if Cherry is used as a noun. Its works better used as an adjective with amps.

Hold on!   Maybe not.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #69 on: 21 Apr 2012, 04:07 am »
...And to the dumb-ass that wrote this for Carver: "The Cherry 180 Mono Block Amplifier is the little brother of the Black Beauty 305 and provides the same sonic performance at a more affordable price point." - Why the "f" would I buy the more expensive model if the performance is the same :scratch:

one of two reasons:
- bragging rights/showing off
- 180w isn't enough power for your system
 :green:

doug s.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #70 on: 21 Apr 2012, 04:51 am »
Wow....just found another Cherry.... :duh:

On a serious note....if you type in "cherry amp" on Google....the first hit is DAC...."Welcome to the Digital Amplifier Company"

Link...

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #71 on: 21 Apr 2012, 04:56 am »
I have been waiting for a thread like this since

Carver announced this amp. Tommy let the big guy worry about your name instead.
Charles,
I knew the backlash that would come from a thread like this.  I believe that openness and honestly are always the best policy!
-Tommy

Randy

« Reply #72 on: 21 Apr 2012, 05:21 am »
 I'm a little disappointed in the remarks from our members here.
[/quote]

And pretty disheartening. A well-respected AudioCircle mfg. shares his concerns in what's a tough market, and gets even more grief from fellow Circle members, some of whom think it's all a good joke. They ought to be ashamed of themselves.

medium jim

« Reply #73 on: 21 Apr 2012, 05:30 am »
Randy:

At the same time, many offered valid points and offered sage advice.  It is about business which is rather black and white with no room at times for emotions.

Jim

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #74 on: 21 Apr 2012, 05:34 am »
I'm a little disappointed in the remarks from our members here.

And pretty disheartening. A well-respected AudioCircle mfg. shares his concerns in what's a tough market, and gets even more grief from fellow Circle members, some of whom think it's all a good joke. They ought to be ashamed of themselves.

the general reaction has been two-fold:

-a mountain is being made out of a molehill
-w/o having a patent, tommy has no legal remedy

i see nothing to be ashamed of, with a/c members expressing their feelings about it, since tommy asked...   :scratch:

tommy may think it is unfortunate, but it is what it is.  (personally, i think no harm would come to dac - if anything the company may get more exposure; but that's yust my take.)  the jokes didn't start until the subject was pretty-much already beaten to death.

ymmv,

doug s.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #75 on: 21 Apr 2012, 12:33 pm »
Well, using a common word for the company name invited this sort of problem in the first place.
Cherry: the fruit
Cherry, something having the quality of best. Fresh.
So now you complain when Carver probably never heard of your company.
You could sue him. It would bankrupt your company, but you could. But even if you won, enough folks LIKE Bob Carver that it would turn out very badly for you (aka: Monster and his lawsuites making folks hate his company and it's products)
And I bet he is not all that rich either... He has a tremendous name recognition in audio, but remember he has gone bust several times...
So, sorry to say, the good advice is to write to him and ASK about it if it bothers you. (which others have said to do, and apparently you have but no answer. Then i wonder the tone of your letter? agressive of just a friendly hey I was here already..)
Anyway, I agree it is not an issue until you are making a lot of money.. Then you will wish you had trademarked the word for audio use, way back when it would not cost a giant court battle.
Applying for a trademark is really not very expensive. and you SHOULD have done it BEFORE you wrote to Carver...!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #76 on: 21 Apr 2012, 01:41 pm »
If I was the Cherry amp guy, I'd be more worried about Bruno Putzeys than Bob Carver.
+2

bummrush

« Reply #77 on: 21 Apr 2012, 01:50 pm »
About all this thread does is gives big Bob free advertising

bunky

« Reply #78 on: 21 Apr 2012, 02:49 pm »
 if you Google Cherry Amplifier the first three topics that you see are for the Digital Amplifier Company.people interested in the Buzz surounding the Carver amp may check out the Digital Amplifier Company offerings if they Google Cherry Amp if it is the first thing that they see.it seems like the old adage that there is profit in confusion may hold true in this in this case  :dunno:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #79 on: 21 Apr 2012, 05:26 pm »
It took some searching but I found the reasoning behind Bob Carver's use of the word Cherry (from 12/2009 eBay Q&A sessions):

Thanks for the appreciation Kevin, it took me some time to find just the right color - it came from an old '56 Chevy I had as a teenager. Metallic strawberry burgundy. Bob Carver

It's buried down in this thread
http://thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1226
which contains all of the Q&A sessions from when Bob decided to turn his vintage stash into amps and was sending out schematics to anyone who asked.
This predates Bob Carver LLC.
The use of the word Cherry had nothing to do with audio, it was about the color of a '56 Chevy he had when he was a kid.