Aural Enlightenment III - Especiale Pics are up!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Aural Enlightenment III - Especiale
« Reply #40 on: 11 Sep 2016, 01:21 pm »
Pete,

Why did you choose laminate and not carpet?  When is your estimated completion date?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #41 on: 11 Sep 2016, 04:51 pm »
Pete,

Why did you choose laminate and not carpet?  When is your estimated completion date?

I have several area rugs not being used, so I will re-use my white rug.

I really only get work done on the weekends. Next weekend is shot, so I am at least 3 weeks away. Baseboard, treatments, paint touch up, wire the 20 amp circuit, rack, gear, lights, so lots to do.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #42 on: 15 Sep 2016, 02:31 pm »
I've been spray painting lately - finally got the hang of this new Wagner electric spray painter. Thin the paint and set the flow to the lowest it will go at a reasonable pressure output!

I have 10 of the older GIK hard plastic D1 ? diffusors and a bunch of reused frames for OC703 I am painting to match the wall and ceiling colors so they blend in.

I also did a quickie layout of the first reflection points on walls and ceiling.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #43 on: 18 Sep 2016, 03:43 am »
Here's a teaser photo of a contraption I built. It looks like it will function properly now that it is installed. My smart ass son is posing as Adonis behind it right after we assembled it 2 weeks ago. He's 6' 4" btw.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #44 on: 18 Sep 2016, 09:45 pm »
Making progress.

Today I hung some ceiling diffusors, finished all the base molding and shoe mold, trimmed the window, and made an inner door for the outer door entrance so I could have extra silence and a place to hang treatments. Really hated the idea of tapping into the solid oak door with a screw or bracket.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #45 on: 18 Sep 2016, 11:52 pm »
Very cool. I'm waiting in anticipation to see what acoustical contraption you are building! Perhaps a heavily improved and inspired GIK Polyfusor  :scratch:

Best,
Anand.

JakeJ

« Reply #46 on: 20 Sep 2016, 01:27 am »
First, cheap pump for updates.  :thumb:

Second,
It was easy to find on Ebay and I grabbed 10/3 so I could have the option of side by side but separate circuits anytime I chose.

Just what do you mean?  Are you considering using two legs for hot and the third for the return of both (or vice versa)?  I would not recommend doing that nor do I think it will pass code or an inspection.  Just install two full runs.  Much safer.

Or...am I missing something?

Oh, and thanks for the tip on Handiwire as I am needing to upgrade the dedicated circuit, circuit breaker, receptacles,  the whole power delivery system from the breaker box to the wall sockets for the stereo.  All in anticipation of a high current amp I'm presently in negotiations for.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #47 on: 20 Sep 2016, 01:46 pm »
First, cheap pump for updates.  :thumb:

Second,
Just what do you mean?  Are you considering using two legs for hot and the third for the return of both (or vice versa)?  I would not recommend doing that nor do I think it will pass code or an inspection.  Just install two full runs.  Much safer.

Or...am I missing something?

I am not doing it, but have the option by leaving the red unconnected in the boxes and in the panel. The red would have to be on the opposite phase. Right now a moot point. I'm waiting to see if these circuits are noisy to see if I need to utilize both phases for different devices.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69176

JakeJ

« Reply #48 on: 21 Sep 2016, 01:36 am »
I see...I had no idea that was done but I understand after checking that link, thanks.

Were you able to get the new circuits off the phase that has motors, such as furnace, refers, & freezers?  I've read that that is generally desirable.

On the Handiwire, I can only find 25 feet of 10-3 for $73.61 on Amazon.  I could not find any 10-3 on eBay.  Got a link to your source?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #49 on: 25 Sep 2016, 02:48 pm »

On the Handiwire, I can only find 25 feet of 10-3 for $73.61 on Amazon.  I could not find any 10-3 on eBay.  Got a link to your source?

I got lucky on Ebay. I only paid about $25 for 50 feet.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #50 on: 25 Sep 2016, 02:54 pm »
There is a light at the end of the tunnel. It might be a freight train. Let's hope not.

I will start populating the room with gear this week while I await my art panels.

I'll have to get all the ethernet connections going and find the spikes for the rack, etc. Digging through boxes is fun after a move.

After the system is running I'll have to check for squeaks and rattles. Always a fun time.

I will say, even an empty room looks pretty exciting at this point! 8)

I am very nervous how it will sound and what the room sweeps will look like. :roll:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #51 on: 27 Sep 2016, 02:00 am »
Some spot panels for the ceiling first reflections that hit the beam running across the center of the room. I am going to wait until sound is running to place them.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #52 on: 27 Sep 2016, 02:09 am »
I had Cerious Technologies make me graphene power cables using some of my Acrolink connectors.

JakeJ

« Reply #53 on: 29 Sep 2016, 01:13 am »
So I did some more digging on the Handiwire.  Seems Essex Electrical Products was acquired by Southwire which included Essex's manufacturing plant so I guess look for Southwire brand residential wire.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #54 on: 4 Oct 2016, 06:45 pm »
Bob Gold's site says my actual room ratios are:

1:2.02:2.58

1:1.963:2.593 is ideal

That means I was 5 inches too wide and 1 inch too deep!

I'll have lots of issues I was not wanting from 40 to 90 hz. Hopefully I can set up and run some sweeps this weekend.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #55 on: 5 Oct 2016, 11:33 am »
Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" gives a range of acceptable values, so don't sweat it.  Worry more about the acoustic isolation details in the room.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #56 on: 9 Oct 2016, 10:23 pm »
I finally fumbled my way through setting up the mic and gear and REW to make some room sweeps. Rough first cuts with the mic in the chair and me sitting on the left side of the chair making no attempt at getting out of the way.

It is easier to see the graph at this setting for the nasty peaks and dips. I am still missing 6 panels on the walls but that shouldn't affect my low end issues seen here.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #57 on: 16 Oct 2016, 06:08 pm »
Are you ready?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #58 on: 16 Oct 2016, 06:27 pm »
Unassuming entrance in the small area at the bottom of the basement stairs:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #59 on: 16 Oct 2016, 06:29 pm »
Since I did not want to putz with the solid oak door in any way I made an inner door out of plywood so I could attach to it instead. I'll eventually get to adding some door sweeps/seals to it.