BDP-2 Digital Player

Krutsch

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1740 on: 6 Dec 2016, 03:50 pm »
The mycloud drives is western digitals line of nas (network) drives.  I use the single drive solution and backup the music to a desktop computer. You should avoid relying on a raid 1 mirror as your primary method of backup, it won't protect you from filesystem corruption, accidental deletion/reformatting, or someone knocking over your NAS.  Some more advance NAS's like the synology have the ability to perform backups to a USB drive, depending on how technicaly savvy you are this could be over your head.  This is one of the reasons i like to recommend the mycloud's, they are one of the simplest NAS's to use (in my opinion).

Cheers,
Chris

As an FYI, the MyCloud does this as well; provide regular, unattended backup-ups to an attached USB drive or another NAS (doesn't even have to be a MyCloud). Nice feature.

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #1741 on: 8 Dec 2016, 08:50 pm »
First, thank you everyone who shared their NAS thoughts and experiences with me.  I decided on a 5 by Synology NAS.  I have a good friend who has one, but his is an 8 bay.  I got the 4 TB drives and the 4 GIG memory expansion upgrade.  I'll post my experiences as maybe that will help someone going forward.

mikemalter

« Reply #1742 on: 8 Dec 2016, 09:01 pm »
Bryston DB Crash Detected  This is the error message I get a lot whenever I open up the control panel.  I have a BDP-1.  Is this something I need to attend to?

Also, I noticed that I can only get 300 songs total when adding songs to play using the Media Player.  Is this the limitation. 

Finally when I go to anything other than my music folder to get a sort by genre or artist  I get this message: Sorting music into Bryston DB Please visit the Artist View for real time updates.  When I go to the Artist View, I keep cycling through a message that says: Sorting Music into Bryston DB and it never ends.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Mike

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1743 on: 8 Dec 2016, 09:07 pm »
Bryston DB Crash Detected  This is the error message I get a lot whenever I open up the control panel.  I have a BDP-1.  Is this something I need to attend to?

Also, I noticed that I can only get 300 songs total when adding songs to play using the Media Player.  Is this the limitation. 

Finally when I go to anything other than my music folder to get a sort by genre or artist  I get this message: Sorting music into Bryston DB Please visit the Artist View for real time updates.  When I go to the Artist View, I keep cycling through a message that says: Sorting Music into Bryston DB and it never ends.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Mike

Hi Mike

I will let Chris answer but I think you have approached the limitations of the BDP-1 processing power.

james

Wapiti

« Reply #1744 on: 9 Dec 2016, 12:45 am »
. . . can only get 300 songs total when adding songs to play . . .
"Only" 300? :)

I generally find 15 to 20 hours of playing time sufficient for a single sitting.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1745 on: 9 Dec 2016, 01:32 am »
*choke*  15-20 hrs?

Where's that tube of Preparation H?   :shake:

Krutsch

« Reply #1746 on: 9 Dec 2016, 02:18 am »

See the settings for the Music Player Daemon. it's at the top - it can be changed, but Chris will have to answer what the limits are for the BDP-1.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1747 on: 9 Dec 2016, 01:06 pm »
"Only" 300? :)

I generally find 15 to 20 hours of playing time sufficient for a single sitting.

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/Manuals/BDP-2_MM_Manual.pdf#page18

Page 18

Feel free to increase it

OTM

« Reply #1748 on: 9 Dec 2016, 01:42 pm »
And as I was reminded once, after changing the playlist size don't forget to press the apply or save button

mikemalter

« Reply #1749 on: 9 Dec 2016, 08:09 pm »

mikemalter

« Reply #1750 on: 10 Dec 2016, 05:04 pm »
When I go to anything other than my music folder to get a sort by genre or artist  I get this message: Sorting music into Bryston DB Please visit the Artist View for real time updates.  When I go to the Artist View, I keep cycling through a message that says: Sorting Music into Bryston DB and it never ends.

Marius

« Reply #1751 on: 11 Dec 2016, 08:25 am »
When I go to anything other than my music folder to get a sort by genre or artist  I get this message: Sorting music into Bryston DB Please visit the Artist View for real time updates.  When I go to the Artist View, I keep cycling through a message that says: Sorting Music into Bryston DB and it never ends.

You're not alone....
Have disabled the Bryston DB on my BDP1 for that reason altogether , and since i never browse my library like that, I don't really miss it. Sort by artist, is taken care of browsing by folder, sort by genre too, since I've organized my library like that  :thumb:

Cheers,
Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1752 on: 11 Dec 2016, 12:40 pm »

You're not alone....
Have disabled the Bryston DB on my BDP1 for that reason altogether , and since i never browse my library like that, I don't really miss it. Sort by artist, is taken care of browsing by folder, sort by genre too, since I've organized my library like that  :thumb:

Cheers,
Marius

Same here. I never cared for cover art, search engines, etc., just as long as the music plays back beautifully, I'm content with my BDP-1.

One would think that a software program could be designed to function across the board to do these things smoothly. Heck, if they can send an unmanned probe to Mars and Jupiter..... 8)

Krutsch

« Reply #1753 on: 11 Dec 2016, 06:00 pm »

One would think that a software program could be designed to function across the board to do these things smoothly. Heck, if they can send an unmanned probe to Mars and Jupiter..... 8)

IMO, despite the many problems I've had with Manic Moose in the past (all documented on this forum), I would say things are working really well.

Of course, that's with my curated collection: carefully tagged FLAC files, all containing an album artist, with multi-disc albums separated into separate sub-folders, with carefully sized/embedded art work, all special characters removed from file and folder names, duplicate album names pre-fixed with the artist's name (e.g. Greatest Hits becomes "ZZ Top - Greatest Hits), et al.

I have a dedicated version of my library for use with streamers, curated as described above.

On the other hand, my iTunes library is all AIFF with multi-disc albums collected together, etc., and when I try using that library with MPD I have all sorts of problems (e.g. track ordering issues, many albums will not be parsed, metadata-wise...). I have been tempted to try this again, as new newer MM betas are using an updated version of MPD and it may be that these problems are resolved.

But I am so loving the sound of my FLAC files on my Corsair FLASH drives that I don't want to mess around with any of this any more and am spending my time just listening to music ... imagine that  :thumb:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1754 on: 11 Dec 2016, 06:36 pm »

But I am so loving the sound of my FLAC files on my Corsair FLASH drives that I don't want to mess around with any of this any more and am spending my time just listening to music ... imagine that  :thumb:

In the Beginning.....(play R. Strauss' Also Sprach Zarasthustra/Karajan/Berlin Phil)   :thumb:

mikemalter

« Reply #1755 on: 21 Dec 2016, 08:39 pm »
I've successfully attached a Synology NAS to my BDP-1 and I can't tell the difference between the USB and NAS.  I've disconnected the USB and am just using the NAS now.

So, I would like to say that this feature really rocks.  I know I'm late to the party on this one, but it's really great to be able to move my music collection over to something with more industrial strength and  redundancy to protect my investment in music all the way keeping the music sounding good.  So thank you very much everyone at Bryston.  I did not have to spend one penny more on the Bryston end which just adds value to the brand.

One follow up question.  Do I really need a scratch drive?  I was thinking I could disconnect all of the drives I have plugged in to the back of the unit and stick with the NAS.  I looked around and there does not seem to be a way to make a folder on the NAS the scratch drive.

Mike

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1756 on: 21 Dec 2016, 08:47 pm »
I've successfully attached a Synology NAS to my BDP-1 and I can't tell the difference between the USB and NAS.  I've disconnected the USB and am just using the NAS now.

So, I would like to say that this feature really rocks.  I know I'm late to the party on this one, but it's really great to be able to move my music collection over to something with more industrial strength and  redundancy to protect my investment in music all the way keeping the music sounding good.  So thank you very much everyone at Bryston.  I did not have to spend one penny more on the Bryston end which just adds value to the brand.

One follow up question.  Do I really need a scratch drive?  I was thinking I could disconnect all of the drives I have plugged in to the back of the unit and stick with the NAS.  I looked around and there does not seem to be a way to make a folder on the NAS the scratch drive.

Mike

Hi Mike

That's a Chris question for sure - he is on holidays but Chris is a workaholic so he may see this.  :thumb:

james

OTM

« Reply #1757 on: 22 Dec 2016, 12:51 am »
Isn't that like calling the kettle black?

Seasons Greetings
David

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1758 on: 22 Dec 2016, 01:52 am »

Mike

Currently it's only used to cache images from tidal, so if your either not using tidal or have a reasonable fast internet connection then likely not.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1759 on: 22 Dec 2016, 02:33 am »
Isn't that like calling the kettle black?

Seasons Greetings
David

Hi David

LOL - guilty as charged !!!

james