FX Audio TUBE-01

Mathew_M

FX Audio TUBE-01
« on: 25 Aug 2017, 02:01 pm »
Hey,

Anyone own this little tube buffer preamp?  Looking to add it in front of a 20watt Topping digital amp.  Generally speaking I am very happy with the Topping.  I just want to get a little of that tube warmth/fullness back again.  System includes those Pioneer bookshelf speakers everyone has in a desktop setup.

Thanks,
Mat

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
Re: FX Audio TUBE-01
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2018, 05:38 pm »
Hi Matt,
   I just got my FX-01 in the mail. It was packed very well and did come with wall wart power supply. The one I picked out was made of black brushed aluminum and looks to be pretty solid. It comes with 2 tubes but a lot of people say upgrade 20 bucks for the GE 5654W's, all over e-bay. I hooked mine up to replace a passive preamp that I was using with a modded Dynaco Stereo 70 tube amp. This little gem brought new sounds to my bedroom system which uses Dyna A-25 XL's for speakers.
  I have a Mapleshade cd that sounds better than any others I have. All Mapleshade cds seem to sound better than any others including Telarc and Mobile Fidelity cds. I could hear with this tube buffer between my amp and my Onkyo cd player the sax players taking in breaths where needed and cymbals were ever more clear and could be identified as to size and make.
  It has outperformed sound wise any preamp, active, passive or transformer implemented that I have tried in all my years puttzing around with preamps. The audio snobs who think the most costly stuff is the best would be floored in a blind test if the upper elite would allow one. I only paid 34 dollars for this . Many audiophiles wouldn't even consider 34 enough for a patch cord.
   I have always been an advocate of Buy American or American Made. Build quality and durability have been traits of US made products. I have always been leery of buying anything from China but the sound quality wins out when mated with my Dyna amp. Only time will test it's durability.
   The extra bonus you get with the little buffer amp is the lighting in a dark room. It's better than a candle. The 2 tubes, I upgraded 20 dollars for 2 GE's  glow a deep dark red . There are 2 LED's somewhere near the tubes base. The wal wart power supply has a aqua -blue MacIntosh type color when engaged that takes a minute or so to die out when you turn it off. With my power strip lying on the floor the wal wart's blue LED makes a cool planetarium like image on my ceiling.
    Matt, I have no idea what it could do for a receiver in your case but for 30 or 40 dollars its the deal of the century for me....Mark Korda

Fuse

Re: FX Audio TUBE-01
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2018, 04:20 pm »
Did you end up getting the FX 01?

I am another happy user. I really can't believe the sound and build quality of this little preamp.

I use one in my very good vinyl system - as a volume attenuator for the SS Nikko amp which powers some Tannoy woofers, so I can match volume with the tube-powered planar mids and ribbon tweeters. I upgraded the power supply to a $10 12 V, 5 A transformer, and the tubes to GE 5654Ws for $7.

Since I had the stock transformer lying around, I decided to get another FX for my bedroom system. This one is completely stock, and really adds something ("air", detail, a bit more bass, etc) to the CEC belt drive and NAD 3020, powering Goodmans Minister speakers. I have been listening to this system exclusively for the past month.

Great little preamp, highly recommended.