No Rez for Tyler Decade D2

AKLegal

No Rez for Tyler Decade D2
« on: 20 Oct 2012, 02:10 am »
Has anyone line a pair of their Decades with No Rez?  I was trying to get a idea of how many sheets I need.  Do you need to apply no rez to every wall including the front baffle?

Danny Richie

Re: No Rez for Tyler Decade D2
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2012, 04:44 pm »
I am guessing you'll need at least two and a half sheets per speaker. Since that is a pretty good sized three-way design.

You apply it to all the interior walls that are also an exterior wall. So not on braces or enclosure mid-rage boxes. The only place on your front baffle to add any No Rez is just above and below the lower woofer, and I would put some there.

I would also add back the poly fill. he poly fill can now be very loose and not packed in. Also leave a clear air path to the ports. Don't block the ports or pathway to the ports with the poly fill.

AKLegal

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2012, 11:47 pm »
Thanks for the response.  Placed a order and I can't wait to get them.

AKLegal

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2012, 02:40 pm »
Danny you were spot on with your estimate.  I had just a little no rez left to spare.  Took me 5 hours to line the cabinets though.  Lots of angles and compartments I had to measure and re-measure.  It wasn't tough work, just tedious.

After being involved in audio seriously for about 6 years, this is the first time I have felt compelled to do a review for anything.  I'll do a full review later :).  My speakers are completely different after applying no rez.  I really did not expect this level of improvement.  They even load my room differently than they did before.  The bass is out of this world.  It is tighter, yet goes deeper.  This morning I actually felt bass notes and I thought someone was walking around upstairs.  I didn't know these speakers could go that low.  The lower midrange saw a equal improvement.

Needless to say, I am planning on writing a full review.  Shame I didn't buy this stuff sooner. 

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2012, 03:35 pm »
Having owned the D1's I anxiously await your review.  :thumb:

rjbond3rd

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2012, 05:37 pm »
The bass is out of this world.  It is tighter, yet goes deeper... The lower midrange saw a equal improvement.

I am also eager to try No Rez.  But while I am expecting "cleaned up", less boxy (tigher) sound in the bass and midrange, I don't personally expect the bass to be deeper per se (i.e., as measured).  But subjectively,getting rid of the panel noise presumably improves the signal-to-noise, and thus less coloration could certainly -seem- deeper as a result of being cleaner.  Perhaps it's less a question of the bass fundamentals and more a question of the harmonics.

Adding mass to each panel presumably lowers its resonant frequency, as well as (I would think) the amplitude of the resonance.  If the bass becomes measurably deeper per se, I'd actually wonder if I hadn't shifted the resonance down to a lower, more pleasing place (i.e., like a passive radiator).  But No Rez obviously engineered beyond simply adding mass, and looks really promising for my situation.

Anyway, I'm very excited to try this, and compare to the opposite approach (stiffening).  Obviously both strategies are complementary and I look forward to hearing them combined somehow.