Mundorf MCap SUPREME EVO SilverGold

MiamiBoy

Mundorf MCap SUPREME EVO SilverGold
« on: 25 Nov 2017, 11:48 pm »
This question is primarily directed at Jeff.

I own two CARY CAD-805AE mono tube amplifiers. CARY recommends upgrading the three coupling capacitors in each amp to Mundorf MCap SUPREME EVO SilverGold .22uf 2% 1000VDC. These caps are the newer “Mcap SUPREME EVO” caps from 2015. My main question is if there is some specific reason Sonic Craft does not carry these newer Mundorf caps? I see Sonic Craft does carries the Mcap EVO’s and the older Supreme’s but not the newer Mcap Supreme Evo’s.

Also, if you believe there may be a better option that you do carry I would be interested in your input. The existing coupling caps that came standard in the amps are ClarityCaps mfd ESA .22uf 650vdc.

Thanks,
Henry

Johnny2Bad

Re: Mundorf MCap SUPREME EVO SilverGold
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2017, 05:58 am »
As far as substitution goes, I would follow the manufacturer's recommendation.

Possibly not carried because of cost; remember they would need to stock multiple values in multiple quantities; it adds up pretty quick. Contact them and see what they say; maybe they can include your caps in the next order.

There are other sources for these caps as well. PartsConnexion stocks them.

Those Clarity Caps, once you decide that the Mundorf's are an improvement, are worth money, so try to keep lead length re-useable if you remove them. Sell them at one of the usual resources.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2017, 06:04 am »
Well noted Johnny, caps and resistors are the ugly duck of electronic parts, its sound importance are underated and hobbist tend to buy cheaper.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2017, 05:38 pm by FullRangeMan »

MiamiBoy

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2017, 03:02 pm »
CARY also offers/sells the "Jensen Copper Foil/Paper-in-Oil/Pure Silver Lead-Out" as a second upgrade option so it is not strictly just the MCap Supreme Evo that is the only cap that can be used. Most comments I have read prefer the Mundorfs to the Jensens in this application and I found a post on Audiogon where another poster said he used an MCap Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil in the 805AE amp but that was back in 2013 before the MCap Supreme Evo was released in 2015. It is very possible that prior to 2015 CARY recommended another Mundorf cap but I can't see that now.

Mundorfs marketing write up would leave one to believe it is the best cap they have ever produced. So I was wondering why Sonic Craft hasn't picked it up yet?

Yes, I do know P.C. sells the newer caps but I was trying to avoid posting a "competitors" name in this circle. :nono: I have  always purchased Mundorfs only from Sonic Craft as I like their pricing and excellent service.  :D

sonicboom

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2017, 04:32 pm »
Was looking to buy some NOS oil caps on epay a few days ago and stumbled on the evo caps. Did some research out of curiosity in trying to figure out the differences between the evo and classic line and the only direct comparison I could find was done by Tony Gee at the link bellow.

His comparisons are based in the caps' application in speaker crossovers, but I don't see that being a problem. He stresses that the evo SGO is hot on top relative to the classic SGO. Maybe, in the case of an SET amp the extra sizzle is a good thing - just speculating here. However, overall he did prefer the classic SGO.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2017, 02:48 am »
This question is primarily directed at Jeff.  I own two CARY CAD-805AE mono tube amplifiers. CARY recommends upgrading the three coupling capacitors in each amp to Mundorf MCap SUPREME EVO SilverGold .22uf 2% 1000VDC. These caps are the newer “Mcap SUPREME EVO” caps from 2015. My main question is if there is some specific reason Sonic Craft does not carry these newer Mundorf caps? I see Sonic Craft does carries the Mcap EVO’s and the older Supreme’s but not the newer Mcap Supreme Evo’s.  Also, if you believe there may be a better option that you do carry I would be interested in your input. The existing coupling caps that came standard in the amps are ClarityCaps mfd ESA .22uf 650vdc.

Henry,

My apologies for the late reply.  I never received a notice of this thread.

I carry capacitors based on their price to performance ration.  I also carry just enough caps to cover all the basic demands of audio capacitors.  I shy away from comments that might disparage an otherwise good cap.  If a given cap has little to no redeemable qualities, I would say so.

Now, I may pick up the EVO Supreme S/G/O sometime in the future, due to demand.  However, I prefer the Classic Supreme S/G/O to the EVO version.  Further, "I believe" the majority of my customers would also prefer the Classic SGO to the EVO SGO if ABed in "most" applications.  Now there is something very cool about the EVO Supreme S/G/O, they wind it up to 47uF!  I can definitely label this the best cap made above 15uF.

Bottom line, what kind of improvements would you like to hear from this upgrade?

BTW, I have replaced several shorted Jensen caps in Cary 805s.  My favorite cap in that amp is a Jupiter Copper.

Yes, I do know P.C. sells the newer caps but I was trying to avoid posting a "competitors" name in this circle. :nono: I have  always purchased Mundorfs only from Sonic Craft as I like their pricing and excellent service.  :D

Thank you for your kind words! :D :D  I truly appreciate our really good customers.  :D :D :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2017, 01:20 pm »
Where else can you get four caps matched to within 0.002%!!  Nowhere I know of.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2017, 05:12 pm »

BTW, I have replaced several shorted Jensen caps in Cary 805s.  My favorite cap in that amp is a Jupiter Copper.

Agreed!  I've tried Jupiter Copper/Paper/Wax in both amps and speakers - it's the best cap I've heard, short of Duelands. 

MiamiBoy

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2017, 09:51 pm »
Henry,

Bottom line, what kind of improvements would you like to hear from this upgrade?

Yes, that really is the central question one must ask themselves before going down the cap upgrade path. These CAD-805AE amps are the best sounding amps I have ever owned or heard. It is hard for me to imagine them sounding any better. They are still relatively new so it is not like I would be upgrading old caps. The existing stock coupling caps are ClarityCap mfd ESA's. A number of posts by others who have made the same upgrade from the stock caps say they noticed a significant improvement.....for whatever that's worth. The swap would be a fairly straight forward replacement as the caps are very accessible. Still, I think I am going to hold off until I can find some more convincing opinions.

Please feel free to weigh in if you have an opinion one way or the other as I do value yours.

Henry

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2017, 10:20 pm »
Jupiters are much better than the Clarity caps - I’ve run both in my amp and in my speakers. 

Stimpy

« Reply #10 on: 2 Dec 2017, 12:24 am »
Tony Gee recommends a Mundorf Supreme as being a favorable bypass for the Clarity ESA caps.  So, until you can obtain the Supreme EVO SG's, why not try the bypass as a temporary fix?  Cheap enough to try.