Need Recs for PC Laptop that is better suited for audio (usb dacs)

saisunil

Hi,

We need to buy another laptop for home use - as our 4 year old dell laptop has been giving us problems ...

Would appreciate recommendations for a PC laptop (Windows 7) that is known to work well with usb dac ...

I have a mac mini with tranquility but since I need to buy a laptop anyway - might as well get a more audio friendly one.

Thanks
Sunil.

saisunil

Would a Dell XPS do it? Thanks

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
Like almost anything USB, USB audio is handled by the Windows USB class 1 audio driver. Make me wonder if the brand/model PC got anything to do with it.
All will have the same driver.
You might Google a little on e.g.  “Dell audio” to verify if this brand has any audio related problems.

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html

saisunil

Thanks

I am thinking of either going XPS route or get a Macbook with dual partition - one for Mac OS and one for Win 7 ...

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
Sunil,

Cannot speak to your specific USB audio related question, but in terms of a quality laptop, vis a vis Dell XPS, I can.

I've had really good luck with Dell's XPS series of laptops.

For audio, I'm curently using an XPS tower, with a sound card for digital out. At some point I guess I should test the XPS laptop's USB out since the Audio Research DAC7's USB DAC is considered really good.

All the best with your decision.

- David.

saisunil

Probably go for an XPS laptop ...
Just wondering if they are going to refresh the line any time soon?

Thanks

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
Sunil,

I believe they launched some new models in Oct 2010.

Most recently, a few models were announced in Jan 2011.

My experience has been (line dependent) that introductions happen along a staggered timeline.

Other than 3D capability, I'm not aware of revolutionary changes.

- David.