Looking to buy VMPS speakers

rammhell

Looking to buy VMPS speakers
« on: 1 Feb 2013, 06:18 pm »
I'm looking for VMPS RM40's and Super Tower III (used/new). If you want to sell one of these please contact me by email: rgintalas@aim.com

rammhell

Re: Looking to buy VMPS speakers
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2013, 07:45 pm »
anyone could offer some other brand similar speakers to Super Towers III?

Stimpy

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2013, 12:31 pm »
rammhell,

Good luck with your search.  But, VMPS speakers are going to be a rare commodity now, so it might be tough
finding someone that will part with theirs...

Also, maybe post your location.  That might help with finding someone, in your area, that might have a worthy pair.

Finally, consider starting 'small' (and working up, if need be):

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=8kimv6leipsfqpghqpgctehri6&topic=114041.0

Again, good luck!   :thumb:

Stimpy

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2013, 12:41 pm »
I have a pair of the super towers but I think you have already seen the pics if I remember correct, but if not heres pics.All new drivers and includes outboard crossovers.

Stimpy

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2013, 12:55 pm »
Nice!  They would make Killer Subs too, for someone with smaller speakers, like 626's and RM-1's!

I have a pair of the super towers but I think you have already seen the pics if I remember correct, but if not heres pics.All new drivers and includes outboard crossovers.

Doug Ravizza

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2013, 01:17 pm »
I know these aren't exactly what you're looking for but, if you're anywhere near the SFBA, you might want to check these out. They appear to be in good shape cosmetically.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ele/3584985981.html

Stimpy

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2013, 01:19 pm »
Great Minds...     :D

I know these aren't exactly what you're looking for but, if you're anywhere near the SFBA, you might want to check these out. They appear to be in good shape cosmetically.

DFaulds

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2013, 04:07 pm »

Are those AMT tweeters? 

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2013, 05:48 pm »
Yes they are Heal tweeters for the ribbons , cleared with Brian when mine were bad, cross is same as the orig tweeter and these were a good match per Brian.

rammhell

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2013, 08:00 pm »

rbbert

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2013, 08:35 pm »
Those are definitely good speakers, but that price is way too high.  There was a pair of RM-40's (a newer and probably better model) offered here at AC a while back for about $2300 IIRC.  In fact wasn't that you, Doug?

Doug Ravizza

« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2013, 01:04 pm »
Those are definitely good speakers, but that price is way too high.  There was a pair of RM-40's (a newer and probably better model) offered here at AC a while back for about $2300 IIRC.  In fact wasn't that you, Doug?

Yes it was me, they were 2004 vintage, FST/TRT 40s and they sold for $2200. I may have let them go too cheap but that's exactly what I paid for them when they were about six months old. They did have an issue though, but a phone call and visit to Brian quickly resolved it. For those interested, the details are described here in the first paragraph:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=101480.msg1025710#msg1025710

rammhell

« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2013, 10:50 am »
still looking for RM40's

rammhell

Stimpy

« Reply #15 on: 20 Mar 2013, 12:03 am »
Have you looked here on AC?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=104.0

VMPS speakers pop up fairly often.

Also, I just searched the whole country.   :duh:

I found these:

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/ele/3650702381.html

And these:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ele/3677767044.html

That's it!  Other than those, keep an eye out on the Trading
Post, and something worthwhile will show up soon...

Patience...

Doug Ravizza

« Reply #16 on: 20 Mar 2013, 01:06 pm »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #17 on: 20 Mar 2013, 03:24 pm »

I'd not recommend that model, Mini Tower II. 

Also, there is nothing wrong with the RM1, but if you can spend slightly more and have the space the RM2 is universes better.  IIRC I heard every model with the Dynaribbons and personally, they never turned me on. 

One year at CES, the last day of the show, Sunday afternoon, Brian had STIIa/R sounding so good it was among the best reproduced sounds I ever heard (Sony ES transport, Theta DAC, Meitner 100W mono blocks).  He continuously tweaked them from setup Wednesday to Sunday afternoon.  Nobody ever got their VMPS speakers (at least the older vintages with tons of drivers) to sound like Brian.  I remember a couple young guys entered Brian's typically blacked out room that had just left the cute little B&W 801 room down the hall.  They walked in slowly while Brian was playing the Koto drum thing or possibly the Telarc Beach Boys clone with electric bass passed through an octave pedal.  Both their mouths just opened.  I remember telling them, "This is a real full range speaker."  Brian and I were listening alone and Brian laughingly said (while playing the Beach Boys CD), "It feels like a little ballerina is doing tippy-toes on your chest."

rbbert

« Reply #18 on: 20 Mar 2013, 03:48 pm »
If I were you I'd hold out for some RM-40's or at least RM-30's.  They're bound to show up somewhere eventually.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 20 Mar 2013, 04:00 pm »
I'd take 30s over 40s.  Heard every iteration at Brian's sound room, including direct A-B, and of course I owned several of each model.  Best I can tell the 30s line source beats the 40s symmetrical array (preference might invert if the 40s drivers were offset for time alignment ala Duntech/Dunlavy, but that would have doubled the speaker's cost).  As always, with every single column loudspeaker (i.e. other than Distributed Sub Array), bass depends on infinite variables unrelated to the speaker.  When it comes to bass, single column speakers are all a crap shoot. 

Do not, I repeat, do not get 30s with active side-firing 10".  Brian dropped that version because of my firm and constant suggestions, among several other ideas he implemented including switching from dipole to bipole in his last speaker the RMV50.

Forget the outboard xo, a waste IMHO.   

Performance wise I disagreed with Brian and could not hear too much difference in the 626 circular planar vs. FST, but the FST indeed looks much better. 
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2013, 05:13 pm by James Romeyn »