MiniTower iia

jojo999

MiniTower iia
« on: 11 Oct 2012, 06:34 pm »
I have a pair of miniTower iiA speakers that I purchased back in 1992 or 1993.  They have the superdome driver and ribbon supertweeter upgrades.

They are in VG condition overall except for the bottom speakers facing down in the enclosure.  These seem to have dried out and are cracked.

Should I replace these or should they be rebuilt?   Any ideas on estimated costs for either action?

I really don't have room for these speakers any longer and am probably going to sell them, so I don't want to spend a lot of $$ repairing them.

Thanks.

John Casler

Re: MiniTower iia
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2012, 03:31 am »
I have a pair of miniTower iiA speakers that I purchased back in 1992 or 1993.  They have the superdome driver and ribbon supertweeter upgrades.

They are in VG condition overall except for the bottom speakers facing down in the enclosure.  These seem to have dried out and are cracked.

Should I replace these or should they be rebuilt?   Any ideas on estimated costs for either action?

I really don't have room for these speakers any longer and am probably going to sell them, so I don't want to spend a lot of $$ repairing them.

Thanks.

Hi Jojo,

The 12" Megawoofers are $125 each and the Passive Radiators are $69 each.

jojo999

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2012, 07:06 am »
Hi Jojo,

The 12" Megawoofers are $125 each and the Passive Radiators are $69 each.

Are those bottom speakers 12"?  I thought they were 10"?  And would rebuilding be less costly?

jojo999

« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2012, 08:23 pm »
Well I finally took the bottom part of the speaker apart to take a look at the sub-woofers that are deteriorated.  These speaker units are 10" each.

I am not sure of the correct terminology but the rubber? surround material that connects between the metal frame and the paper speaker cone has crumbled away.  This doesn't look to hard to repair if I knew where/what to order.  Can someone tell me what the part is called and where might be a good place to get a couple of these pieces?

Also, I am somewhat mixed up about these drivers (is that what they are called?) because there is no wires, no magnet, nothing except the speaker frame and the cone.  Is this normal?  Do these drivers actually do anything since they have no electronic connections?

Edit: Here's the photo I forgot to upload

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2012, 08:40 pm »
There's no electrical connection because it's a passive radiator. It sounds like you need to replace the driver surround. If you are handy and can find the adequate replacements they should cost less than $15 each.

Check out www.speakerworks.com for examples of replacement surrounds.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2012, 08:42 pm »
Hi Jojo,

The driver you are talking about is called a Passive Radiator.  It reacts to the changes in internal cabinet pressures created by the ACTIVE Woofers (the ones with magnets and wiring going to them.

jojo999

« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2012, 09:12 pm »
Hi Jojo,

The driver you are talking about is called a Passive Radiator.  It reacts to the changes in internal cabinet pressures created by the ACTIVE Woofers (the ones with magnets and wiring going to them.
Hmph.  And that really works such that the sound difference is really noticeable?

srb

« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2012, 09:16 pm »
The procedure for replacing surrounds on the woofers and passive radiators is essentially the same, except that it is even easier on the passive radiators because there is no voice coil or magnetic gap.

For the woofers, gluing the new surround on has to be fairly precise so that the voice coil is centered and does not rub against the magnet assembly, while the passive radiators with no voice coils have a wider tolerance relative to centering.

Hmph. And that really works such that the sound difference is really noticeable?

Yes, the bass response is tuned to the passive radiator.  Now you just have a lot of air leaking out of the cabinet and the bass response is affected.  Renewing the passive radiator should give a noticeable change to the quality of bass.

Steve

mjosef

« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2012, 10:04 pm »
Parts Express has foam surrounds @$30.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-925

I replaced the surrounds on my Original sub 12" driver with a set from there...comes with everything you need plus instructions.

jojo999

« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2012, 03:44 am »
OK, thanks for the help....

jojo999

« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2012, 03:46 am »
Parts Express has foam surrounds @$30.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-925

I replaced the surrounds on my Original sub 12" driver with a set from there...comes with everything you need plus instructions.
I noticed this on the link you posted:

"Note: This speaker surround repair kit is not designed for use with subwoofers."

Aren't these subwoofers?

mjosef

« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2012, 05:42 am »
True...might be better off consulting with someone from Speakerworks, they seem to have a bigger selection.

jojo999

« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec 2012, 04:34 am »
True...might be better off consulting with someone from Speakerworks, they seem to have a bigger selection.
I ordered 2 kits from speakerworks.  Cost me ~$25 total..  Thanks again all.

Taterworks

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2012, 05:05 am »
Hmph.  And that really works such that the sound difference is really noticeable?

Passive radiators work in a manner similar to a bass-reflex port. In a reflex port, there is a mass of air suspended within the port tube that 'bounces' on the volume of air in the box and absorbs the acoustic load at low frequencies. A passive radiator uses a mechanical mass and a mechanical suspension along with a large diaphragm to achieve the same result, except with less compression and no wind noise because the pressure inside the box acts over a much larger surface area to get the mass element 'bouncing'. At low frequencies, the passive radiator is absorbing the acoustic load from the woofer and radiating that resonant energy into the room, which means that the active driver doesn't need to work as hard.

Brian Cheney was fanatical about bass quality and quantity, and he used the slot-loaded passive radiator configuration in virtually all of his floor-standing speakers and subwoofers. The slot-loaded design causes the passive radiator diaphragm to work against an acoustic resistance (the slot), further damping the resonant action of the passive radiator and enabling transient response that is somewhere between a vented box and a sealed box. The amount of putty in the center of the passive radiator can be tweaked to adjust the level of bass damping further.

I looked into the slot-loaded passive radiator configuration some time ago, and what I've told you is as much as I've been able to find out, since Brian kept this enclosure loading method fairly close to the vest. It is a minor variation on conventional passive-radiator speaker designs, and it was never patented.

Also, regardless of what the Parts Express web site says, you can use those re-foam kits to re-foam this particular passive radiator. However, it might be better to let their Speaker Repair Center do it if you aren't sure of your refoaming skills. These speakers deserve to be treated well.

jojo999

« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2012, 07:31 pm »
I ordered 2 kits from speakerworks.  Cost me ~$25 total..  Thanks again all.
Just wanted to post that the kit was easy to install and everything is back to working normally.

PMAT

« Reply #15 on: 31 Dec 2012, 09:58 pm »
Well how do they sound?

John Casler

« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2012, 10:24 pm »
Just wanted to post that the kit was easy to install and everything is back to working normally.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: