Mirage OMD 15

fredgarvin

Mirage OMD 15
« on: 20 Jul 2011, 03:36 pm »
I heard some of these at a friends place the other day. A nice sounding floor standing omni speaker that i had never heard of. I was impressed, especially when he told me he paid $500 for them at Vanns. I think it would be hard to beat them at that price. He uses them in both his HT and for music.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542999362/mirage-omd15-rosewood

srb

Re: Mirage OMD 15
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2011, 04:32 pm »
I was impressed, especially when he told me he paid $500 for them at Vanns. I think it would be hard to beat them at that price. He uses them in both his HT and for music.

$500 each, $1000/pair, right?  So once again, not really meeting Cheap and Cheerful criteria.  I have heard the OMD-5 and am considering using them for my too-close-to-listening-position surrounds where I believe the reflected sound might be advantageous.

Otherwise, omni speakers for mains are definitely a matter of personal taste and should be auditioned.  For main speakers I much prefer uni-directional with the tweeters aimed at my listening position.

Steve

fredgarvin

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2011, 07:34 pm »
Thank you Officer.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2011, 04:20 am »
I don't see where it says for a single speaker (maybe I'm missing it) but I take it by your both agreeing on this it's the case, seems to be prevalent nowadays.  Which is my point, what the Sam Hill is this annoying trend of online stores advertising single speaker prices instead of pairs?!?!?!?  Of course it's a psychological ploy to make the price seem lower, even if we can add, not seeing the larger number somehow makes it seem cheaper, but its damn annoying to say the least, really peeves me off.  All it does is make me toss that seller off the list as too shady to deal with.  Whether they are or aren't shady makes no difference, I'm psychological predisposed to believe it, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it wet behind the ears marketing wiz kid jerkoffs.

Oh, sorry, back on topic.  To make it C&C we'd have to go down to the OMD5 series at $169.88 each (again, grrr) which might have a similar sound.  http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/543792306/mirage-omd5 

I agree with Steve on the omni sound, an acquired taste.  Very effective for home theater, which is what Mirage is targeting these days.  I remember the old Bipolar Mirage speakers from the 80's and 90's, I loved 'em and would have bought a pair, but my S/O insisted we buy the Snells.  Of course she has proven out correct, the Snell E Type is a classic and Fred has never heard of Mirage, but I always think what if when I see a pair on eBay. 

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2011, 04:24 am »
Cute!

Which is my point, what the Sam Hill is this annoying trend of online stores advertising single speaker prices instead of pairs?!?!?!?

Maybe because people might want 3 or 5 for HT?

Or just because it gets you interested...  :D

Steven Stone

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2011, 02:07 pm »
The OMD-5 at $150 per speaker is certainly cheap and cheerful.

I wrote about this little marvel on my AudiophileReview Blog:

http://audiophilereview.com/affordable-speakers/is-the-mirage-omd-5-speaker-the-best-150-desktop-speaker-ever-made.html

srb

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2011, 04:00 pm »
The OMD-5 at $150 per speaker is certainly cheap and cheerful.  I wrote about this little marvel on my AudiophileReview Blog:

Your review confirms my thoughts that these could work very well for my surrounds which have to be located very close to the seating position on the back wall.

BTW, the finish of the ones that you reviewed and referred to as burled Oak several times is actually burled Maple.

Steve

fredgarvin

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2011, 04:40 pm »
Cute!

I would love to have a couple of those...I'm just not sure where to put them. all my speaker needs are covered.  :scratch:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:39 am »

Quote from: Letitroll98:

Which is my point, what the Sam Hill is this annoying trend of online stores advertising single speaker prices instead of pairs?!?!?!?

You are a kind soul to think the best of people John.  I, on the other hand, am more cynical and am the worse for it.   :wink: