How long should the ribbon tweeter on the Magneplanar 1.7i roughly last?

Mike Gillespie

A friend who is a prominent tube amplifier and speaker designer (mostly horns but some box speakers) had Maggies in the 70's and 80's and said that every year, to get them to sound good, he had to open them up and stretch the ribbons.  That normal temperature changes from hot to cold, and just normal playing weaken the ribbons and stretch them out.  As they stretch, the sound quality diminishes.

I have a pair of new 1.7i's on trial, and I'm concerned about how much of an issue this really is with the newer Maggies.

How many years have you been able to still get great sound out of your Maggies?  What vintage are they?

Any further thoughts would be much appreciated.

Mike

NIGHTFALL1970

I have 1.7s now, but I owned a pair or Apogee Acoustics Centaurs for over 20 years before one ribbon deteriorated.  I would not worry about it.

Davey

Your post doesn't make logical sense.  Why would your friend suggest (extra) stretching of the ribbons when normal usage already stretches them and diminishes sound quality?  It would seem he would be interested in 'tightening' them occasionally vice stretching.

Regardless, I agree with nightfall.....I wouldn't worry about it.  Just enjoy the speakers.

Dave.

Mike Gillespie

Thanks, Guys.  My friend meant pulling the ribbons tight because they got extended/looser with the temperature changes and just regular playing music.

Both he and his business partner did this on their Maggies... and the business partner used to work for Magneplanar.  So they were aware of this.

They would do this every year, and the sound improvement, was huge.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
The 1.7s don't have the ribbon like the 3.7s and 20.7s do.
You're worrying about nothing.
To my ears, at least, after break in the sound remains consistent until a dog hikes their leg on one (my MMGs) or a ribbon pops (my old 3.6s).

Davey

My friend meant pulling the ribbons tight because they got extended/looser with the temperature changes and just regular playing music.

How the heck does he do that??

Dave.

Mike Gillespie

He and his partner took them apart every year for 13 years and stretched them tight and then put them back in.  Remember, these are guys with 50 years professional experience each at very high level making speakers, amps, etc.  And one of them worked for Magneplanar years back.

Davey

Yeah, I got that part from your previous post.  I want to know HOW they did it.

Dave.

GT Audio Works

A friend who is a prominent tube amplifier and speaker designer (mostly horns but some box speakers) had Maggies in the 70's and 80's and said that every year, to get them to sound good, he had to open them up and stretch the ribbons.  That normal temperature changes from hot to cold, and just normal playing weaken the ribbons and stretch them out.  As they stretch, the sound quality diminishes.

I have a pair of new 1.7i's on trial, and I'm concerned about how much of an issue this really is with the newer Maggies.

How many years have you been able to still get great sound out of your Maggies?  What vintage are they?

Any further thoughts would be much appreciated.

Mike
If your friend is talking about stretching pure foil ribbons, as in the higher end Maggie models like the MG3a or the Tympani of that era.
 I have rebuilt a few of these ribbons and this makes no sense as those ribbons due to their length are held in place not only on each end but at multiple points along their length by very small drops of glue adhering the foil to the magnets. Without this glue the foil would unfold its pleats rather quickly and become useless. So it is impossible to "re-stretch" a Maggie tweeter. The ribbon element can only be replaced.
If you remove the silk like back cloth of a Maggie Ribbon, or even with a strong flashlight shining through the grill cloth you will see these glue joints connecting the aluminum ribbon to the ceramic magnets along the entire ribbons length.
Yes short length ribbons like Ravens are carefully calibrated to a specific stretch and I imagine can be re-stretched as they have no side contact points.
Regarding quasi ribbon models such as the 1.7 which have a backing of Mylar. I am not aware of these stretching out of spec., but they do need to have an exact tension or the sound will be off.
I would not worry about your 1.7i's they will perform flawlessly for years to come.
Greg
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2015, 10:55 pm by GT Audio Works »

Mike Gillespie

Greg, thanks for all the information.  Very helpful.