Let's talk about balance control

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Let's talk about balance control
« on: 10 May 2016, 06:29 pm »
I am currently using version 3 - 2.1  As I have mentioned in the past, I much prefer the original remote to the Sony.  One of the major advantages of the older remote was how the balance system worked. I particularly like the reset button, a feature I have found nowhere else.  It instantly changes back and I can easily hear if the sonics are different (as opposed to seeing if the image is centered).  I have found some recordings sound worse when I set the balance to the center and the reset button tells me instantly if this is the case.  With the Sony the volume drops as soon as I hit the bottom right button to start to reset the balance and the comparison of before and after is more difficult.  A small thing, but with the original remote I had that availability.  I say had, because within the last week the reset button on the original no longer works correctly ( I have tried this on 2 remotes).  When I hit reset button the display numbers on the unit change back to equal, but the balance remains offset.  The Sony still works correctly, resetting the image as well as the display.  I can live with this because I will soon assemble a new kit I just bought and will probably sell the old unit with a Sony remote so this will not be an issue with the new owner.  But I do find it curious that this feature now works wrong with the older remote - what can have changed?

I believe you have said you were designing a new remote which will change balance just by pressing the right or left button - I applaud this.  But I would like to see this instant reset feature on the new remote.  And it needs to change volume without multiple button presses.  I have recordings that are 10 - 15 steps different in volume - pressing that button so many times on the Sony is a drag.  All complaints aside, this is still the best volume control I have ever used.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Let's talk about balance control
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2016, 03:11 pm »
I am currently using version 3 - 2.1  As I have mentioned in the past, I much prefer the original remote to the Sony.  One of the major advantages of the older remote was how the balance system worked. I particularly like the reset button, a feature I have found nowhere else.  It instantly changes back and I can easily hear if the sonics are different (as opposed to seeing if the image is centered).  I have found some recordings sound worse when I set the balance to the center and the reset button tells me instantly if this is the case.  With the Sony the volume drops as soon as I hit the bottom right button to start to reset the balance and the comparison of before and after is more difficult.  A small thing, but with the original remote I had that availability.  I say had, because within the last week the reset button on the original no longer works correctly ( I have tried this on 2 remotes).  When I hit reset button the display numbers on the unit change back to equal, but the balance remains offset.  The Sony still works correctly, resetting the image as well as the display.  I can live with this because I will soon assemble a new kit I just bought and will probably sell the old unit with a Sony remote so this will not be an issue with the new owner.  But I do find it curious that this feature now works wrong with the older remote - what can have changed?

I believe you have said you were designing a new remote which will change balance just by pressing the right or left button - I applaud this.  But I would like to see this instant reset feature on the new remote.  And it needs to change volume without multiple button presses.  I have recordings that are 10 - 15 steps different in volume - pressing that button so many times on the Sony is a drag.  All complaints aside, this is still the best volume control I have ever used.

I have a firmware update coming soon that will address most of this using the Apple remote. Will include auto-repeat for volume raise/lower and make left/right buttons' primary function be balance adjustment. Changing inputs will require muting first so we'd be swapping the way balance adjust and input select are done with the remote.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2016, 04:14 pm »
Sounds great - will we be update the units already in the field?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2016, 04:49 pm »
Sounds great - will we be update the units already in the field?

Oh yeah. Existing units can be updated via the USB port as explained in the online documentation. Will send out announcement when the update is ready.

TJHUB

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2016, 05:23 pm »
Sounds like a nice upgrade.  :thumb:

craig sawyers

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2016, 08:52 am »
I don't think I've used a balance control for 30-odd years - so presumably I could just stick with the existing firmware?

Craig

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2016, 12:13 pm »
I don't think I've used a balance control for 30-odd years - so presumably I could just stick with the existing firmware?

Craig

There's no harm in staying with your existing version of firmware which for the majority of owners is rev 2.1.8. The firmware has been stable for the better part of a year now.

The upcoming revision does reshuffle the controls to make the remote easier to use especially for those who like to tweak the channel balance. Auto-repeat will also be a welcome addition for most. But there's nothing new that can't be done with existing firmware as is except for the auto-repeat. There are some under the hood changes that are specifically relevant to those with balanced preamps. All of this will be documented in detail so existing owners can decide if they want to bother with the upgrade or not.

Of course all new builds starting now will have the updated firmware which will be rev 2.2.0

craig sawyers

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2016, 01:40 pm »
Ah - I'm balanced, so looks like I need to upgrade; and autorepeat for volume is welcome too.  Guess I'll just have to man up and take it on the chin for balance  :)