Question - What Is Your Preference For Remote?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Question - What Is Your Preference For Remote?
« on: 25 Feb 2016, 03:35 pm »
Would very much appreciate your input on the 2 remote options below.

Option #1 - Menu Driven Display with Simple Remote - This option requires only the simplest of generic remotes - much like the existing Apple remote. You use the remote to scroll through menu options on a high resolution display and select what you want. A good example of this is the original Apple TV which also uses the Apple remote. The simple remote still has some dedicated functions assigned to to buttons like raise/lower volume etc.

Option #2 - Custom Remote with Dedicated Buttons - This is the classic custom remote approach with more buttons that the Apple remote with each button having a customized specific function. There may be a high resolution display as well but there won't be a menu since all the functions/choices have a button on the remote.

Which do you prefer?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Question - What Is Your Preference For Remote?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2016, 03:39 pm »
#1 Simpler

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2016, 03:46 pm »
Hi Morten, what do you mean by a "high resolution display"? I'm just playing with a DIY DAC that has a small LCD for setting things and that seems fine for  the purpose.

TJHUB

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2016, 03:54 pm »
Would the display be readable from 12' to 15'?  If not, option 2 would be better.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2016, 03:58 pm »
Hi Morten, what do you mean by a "high resolution display"? I'm just playing with a DIY DAC that has a small LCD for setting things and that seems fine for  the purpose.

By "high res display" I mean something a step up from discrete 7 segment displays or even lower res character based LCD displays. Basically, brighter, clearer, larger font LCD display (probably OLED type).

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2016, 03:59 pm »
Would the display be readable from 12' to 15'?  If not, option 2 would be better.

Yes, that's the idea. Large enough clear bright font to be readable from listening chair.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2016, 04:05 pm »
#1, a great majority of the time the volume is all that is used.

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2016, 04:19 pm »

TJHUB

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2016, 06:59 pm »

Yes, that's the idea. Large enough clear bright font to be readable from listening chair.

In that case, #1 would be my preference.  A simple remote is always more attracive.  Like others have stated, on/off, volume, and mute are really the only features used once everything is set up.

33na3rd

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2016, 04:35 pm »

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #10 on: 29 Feb 2016, 02:20 pm »
Thank you all for your inputs.

#1 is the approach we've been working on and it is certainly my personal preference for the next version of our preamp controller. Whether or not we stay with the Apple remote or end up with a custom Tortuga remote, any remote we use going forward will be very simple and will rely on a menu driven visual display to navigate through custom options and setup. Much like the Apple remote, remote buttons will be limited to Menu (display menu), Raise/Lower (volume etc.), Left/Right (change input etc.), Mute, Enter (confirm/select) and possibly On/Off although even On/Off will likely become the default display item when the Menu button is pressed so may prove redundant.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #11 on: 29 Feb 2016, 03:40 pm »
I use the balance on almost every album or song I play.  Maybe it's just me.  But I find almost no recording is perfectly balanced (at least to my taste).  I'd go for simple if it included a simple balance system, easily accessible.  I still use my original Tortuga remote (with 2 back-ups in the closet) for this reason.  In truth, I probably never would have tried the Tortuga if it had not offered remote balance.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #12 on: 29 Feb 2016, 03:56 pm »
I use the balance on almost every album or song I play.  Maybe it's just me.  But I find almost no recording is perfectly balanced (at least to my taste).  I'd go for simple if it included a simple balance system, easily accessible.  I still use my original Tortuga remote (with 2 back-ups in the closet) for this reason.  In truth, I probably never would have tried the Tortuga if it had not offered remote balance.

Even with the simple remote described earlier, there will still be balance adjustment. During normal listening the raise/lower button will control volume while the left/right buttons will control balance adjustment by default. The display will clearly show if the volume is biased left or right.

To change inputs, the user will have to first press the Menu button, scroll down one level to "INPUT" and then use the left/right button to switch inputs.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #13 on: 29 Feb 2016, 06:04 pm »
Sounds great.  Do you think my collection of early model remotes have a chance of becoming collector's items?

doggie

« Reply #14 on: 1 Mar 2016, 11:08 pm »
Not clear about a choice but would like to have the display go blank when one was not making a change. Would like to see this feature with the current model. I find the numeric display a bit distracting while listening.

sruffle

« Reply #15 on: 2 Mar 2016, 01:56 am »
Option 1

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #16 on: 2 Mar 2016, 03:20 am »
A remote having as few buttons as possible, different shapes & colored buttons, easy to use & fits your hand. No small order.

uraqt

« Reply #17 on: 2 Mar 2016, 03:50 am »
I'm the Apple remote guy!!! Please keep the apple remote.. even as 2nd choice with less features like just the vol, mute and power on and off...

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #18 on: 2 Mar 2016, 03:05 pm »
I'm the Apple remote guy!!! Please keep the apple remote.. even as 2nd choice with less features like just the vol, mute and power on and off...

No plans to exclude the Apple remote from future versions of our preamps. Will keep the Apple remote functionality as long as Apple continues to make those little silver remotes which are perfect for interacting with visual menu driven devices. We may add our own custom remote as an option but it will be similarly simple. Both would work.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #19 on: 2 Mar 2016, 03:15 pm »
Not clear about a choice but would like to have the display go blank when one was not making a change. Would like to see this feature with the current model. I find the numeric display a bit distracting while listening.

How long a delay would you prefer until display turns off? Others have made similar requests and I have no objection to the concept. My concern is how this would work in actual practice. For example, the screen goes blank and no music is playing - is the unit on or off? You forgot, so you press the "menu" button to turn it on but it already is on and so it turns off. There may be a reasonable workaround which is that any key press is ignored if the display is blanked while unit is on and all it does is turn the display back on.