Pure Audio Project Cap changes?

Canman

Pure Audio Project Cap changes?
« on: 20 Mar 2018, 04:51 pm »
Making my way back into OB speakers (after a multi year headphone detour) with the Pure Audio Project TRIO 15.

The Crossover design makes it extremely easy to swap Capacitors.  They will come w/ 68uf Mundorfs (not sure which ones) and should be quite nice from the start.

And....in keeping w/ my diagnosis of audiophilitis  - any recommendations for  capacitor swaps?

thanks

Chris Adams

Re: Pure Audio Project Cap changes?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2018, 06:08 pm »
You could try this: Mundorf MCap EVO Oil.

Read about it hear: http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Sonic Craft has them at a reasonable price: http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/mundorf-mcap-evo-oil-68uf-350vdc-p-4171?osCsid=fm0a8rcddt5rhioqek8i6344r7

I had a pair of PAP Voxativ and rebuilt my crossovers. I considered the Mundorf MCap EVO Oil but decided to go all out and use Jupiter HT Flat-Stacked. Unfortunately, they are no longer available and were very expensive. I have since sold the speakers but have the Jupiter caps if you are interested.

beowulf

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2018, 12:38 am »
You could try this: Mundorf MCap EVO Oil.

Read about it hear: http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Sonic Craft has them at a reasonable price: http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/mundorf-mcap-evo-oil-68uf-350vdc-p-4171?osCsid=fm0a8rcddt5rhioqek8i6344r7

I had a pair of PAP Voxativ and rebuilt my crossovers. I considered the Mundorf MCap EVO Oil but decided to go all out and use Jupiter HT Flat-Stacked. Unfortunately, they are no longer available and were very expensive. I have since sold the speakers but have the Jupiter caps if you are interested.

What speakers did you end up going with this time?

happyrabbit

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2018, 01:31 am »
I ended up with the Clarity CSA.  YMMV

Dwight

happyrabbit

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2018, 01:44 am »
And since we are on the upgrade subject...  :green:

I upgraded the resistor to a Path Audio and the FR driver cable to Harmonic Tech Pro-13.   Next up will be the woofer cables..  not sure yet on which cables.  Leaning towards solid core 12g.

Canman

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2018, 03:01 pm »
The Clarity CSA is huge.  Good to know it fits (I think that is a PAP crossover).  thanks for the pics.  I have some unused Anticables and also Duelund wire that I may try for the internal wiring.  Still waiting on my crossovers from Mundorf.

happyrabbit

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2018, 02:21 am »
keep us updated on your progress.     mundorf was late delivering the xo’s for my speakers..   definitely go for the resisitor upgrade too.   :thumb:

dwight
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2018, 02:19 pm by happyrabbit »

Canman

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2018, 12:27 pm »
It was fun and simple putting the PAP baffles and frames together last PM.   Seems Mundorf is having a  production delay.  I may just wire up the Voxativs by them selves while I wait. 

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2018, 10:40 pm »
When I built my x-over for the trio....TB1808....I upgraded from the iron core inductor
to a litz wound. Think it was also from Mundorf.....

Canman

« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2018, 11:14 pm »
Been playing the voxativs a couple days while I wait on the crossovers.  they are nice though I would never be happy w/just the Voxativs as a single driver open baffle (I've seen some AER OBs done that way).  they really don't have much bass to speak of and sound fairly thin.  Hoping the larger drivers really fill things out after I get the entire system up and running. 

Canman

« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2018, 01:52 pm »
I have the PAP speakers up and running now w/ the Voxativ drivers.  For now I am using the Mundorf XO and Caps that came w/ the speakers.  Hoping the soundstage opens up a bit.  I'd like to have it wider than the actual speakers the way it does w/ my monitors - maybe that's not how OBs work?  Anyhow - I'll let them break in.  they only have a few hrs on them so far.

Blackmore

« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2018, 06:55 pm »
My limited experience (one short afternoon at PureAudioProject US manager's home) seems to indicate that the soundstage was very deep between the speakers but not so much outside the panels themselves. His pairs were spread pretty far apart and didn't suffer any reduction in center image so that might be a solution for your situation. I was VERY impressed with each of the PAP speakers and would love to own any of their offerings.  I was surprised how good the horn model integrated with the 15" woofers. Unexpected but nice!

Canman

« Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2018, 07:11 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  I seem to remember the Spatial Audio and Hawthorne OBs projecting the stage beyond the speakers laterally - fuzzy memory at best.  maybe that's just how it will be and I can move them further apart (easily done).  I intend to try the horns and compare to the Voxativ.  Nice thing about the PAPs - modular design and easy swap on the XOs. 

happyrabbit

« Reply #13 on: 11 Apr 2018, 12:48 am »
I have to admit , those Voxativ drivers are tempting  :P   Yet decided to spend the $ on more woofers   :wink:

Canman

« Reply #14 on: 11 Apr 2018, 01:48 pm »
Very nice.  Is that a 300B I see?  I have Coincident Frankensteins in bound and hoping they play well w/ the PAP speakers.

happyrabbit

« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr 2018, 01:10 pm »
45 SET..EML tubes. 

Canman

« Reply #16 on: 23 Apr 2018, 04:40 pm »
I decided to try the Horns w/ the PAP speakers.  They are breaking in now.  I think I like the horn sound more than the Voxativs (maybe more of a live dynamic sound). To me they are not shouty at all and seem to integrate w/ the large drivers well (as Blackmore said in his prior post).  We'll see.  It's taking some time for me to get used to the OB sound after using  monitors for awhile.  I'll check in after a couple hundred hrs.

shahed

« Reply #17 on: 23 Apr 2018, 09:10 pm »
I moved from PAP Voxativ to Horn1. I think Horn1 is quite a bit better than voxativ. More refined and more real sounding. Better microdynamics.

Audrius

« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2019, 09:11 pm »
And since we are on the upgrade subject...  :green:

I upgraded the resistor to a Path Audio and the FR driver cable to Harmonic Tech Pro-13.   Next up will be the woofer cables..  not sure yet on which cables.  Leaning towards solid core 12g.

Hi,

could you please specify what resistance and watts does this resistor has?

craigdnorris

• "It is what it is"
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jun 2021, 06:30 pm »
I have the Pureaudioproject Quintet10 speakers with the Voxative 1.6. I have the standard caps that came with the Trier crossover. I am considering getting the horn1 and also upgrading the caps to the Mundorf gold oil shown on their website. I am very happy with these speakers and am driving them with the Decware Rachael tube amp. It plays as loud as I need it too.  I will update as I move forward.