Sit back, relax, and enjoy the vocal stylings of...

acresm22

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the vocal stylings of...
« on: 17 Apr 2008, 04:13 pm »
While driving my kids to school today, a Pearl Jam tune came on the radio. I liked the first album quite a bit, but almost everything since has generally left me reaching for the volume knob...to turn it off. It's Eddie Vedder's voice...the wail, the hyper vibrato and the general intonation problems are kinda like fingernails on a chalkboard, for me anyway.

Got me thinking about a fun thread...the vocal stylings you both love and loathe. Here are some random thoughts to start the discussion...

As for love, I've been revisiting the Carpenters catalogue since last fall (my wife's CDs, just so you know  :roll: ). Karen Carpenter had a voice that just breaks your heart. It's those lower registers...just beautiful.

As my avatar would suggest, I'm a fan of mid- to late-70s Ian Anderson. He growled his way through several great albums from that era. This is a controversial one I know...I suspect there are many who loathe that Jethro Tull sound. But for me, it works. Unfortunately, his voice has paid the price for all that awesome affectation during the Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses, Storm Watch and Broadsword recording sessions. If you hear him now, the range is narrow and the voice is a pail reflection of past glory (still like it though).

I've also been revisiting Elton John's great early- to mid-70s albums. Surgery on his vocal chords in the mid-80s left him with a much lower voice, and I've read that EJ prefers the low, resonant sound he has now. I much prefer the higher registers from the early-70s, though, especially when he'd really go for the high, high parts. Great, great stuff in those old albums.

Mark Knopfler...love his stuff, both old and new, but much prefer his voice on the new albums. He cites giving up smoking, but I think it might have also been a deliberate move to something more authentic. Gone are the grunts and groans of the Dire Straits era, and now its all soul.

Geddy Lee...I'll put him right there with Eddie Vedder. While certainly distinctive, its like nails on a chalkboard.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Sit back, relax, and enjoy the vocal stylings of...
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2008, 04:21 pm »
It's an amazing thing but I am like that too.  I love some voices but can't stand some others.  In my case, I can tolerate most male singers except the really whiny ones.  Now, I have strong feelings on female voices.  Let's just say that I have one Diana Krall CD and that's one too many.... :dunno:

acresm22

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2008, 04:54 pm »
Diana Krall...I totally agree. Our local Costco was playing and replaying her live DVD for awhile. I swear, every time I went there I wanted to throw some of the free food samples at the screen.

sbrtoy

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2008, 05:26 pm »
I'll agree, Eddie Vedder is extremely annoying...I will put James Blunt up at the top as well.  Another one that drives me nuts is Norah Jones, maybe it's just the recordings but it sounds so flat and glassy...

Richard Hawley has an incredible voice IMHO, as does Inara George (Bird and the Bee)...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2008, 05:52 pm »
I'm collecting Diana Krall and Norah Jones music. And I take donations.  :lol:
I'd do 'em both.....I mean....... I like them both........vocally........of course.

Bob

chadh

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2008, 11:25 pm »

Some voices deserve to be on everybody's list of favorites.  People like Aretha and Stevie Wonder.  But my list of more personal favorites includes Corey Glover (from Living Colour - I love his passion and the honesty in his voice, and he has this fantastic charisma) and Cassandra Wilson.  But right at the top of the list is a voice that I've heard only rarely, but each time it seemed a voice of true perfection:  Cleo Laine.

As for my least favorite voices...the prizes for worst Male and Female singers go to Rod Stewart and Carly Simon.

Chad

Zero

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2008, 11:35 pm »
Lead singer from Maroon 5..  nuff' said.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2008, 10:57 am »
I would buy everything Dreamtheater ever released if it weren't for their lead vocals. The guy is fingernails on a chalkboard.

Bob

Feisal K

• DVD-A registry
« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2008, 12:24 pm »
I would buy everything Dreamtheater ever released if it weren't for their lead vocals. The guy is fingernails on a chalkboard.

ditto!

how about Opeth - them too if not for the growling :(

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2008, 01:56 pm »
Never heard of them, but it doesn't sound like I'm missing anything.  :lol:

Bob

Nels Ferre

« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2008, 02:49 pm »
Three I hate- Barbara Streisand, Celene Dion, and Whitney Houston.

They way they hold notes, I think "OK you hit the note, move on already."

At least Canada did us a favor by keeping Celene Dion away fom us for a while.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2008, 03:22 pm »
Add Michael Bolton to that list. Did you ever see the video where he tries to outsing Luciano Pavarotti?  :duh:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5499780360940239145&q=bolton+pavarotti&ei=BL0ISOH9DpmwrQK79I2FAQ&hl=en

Thebiker

« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2008, 03:39 pm »
I  could listen to k.d. lang anytime.
Allison Krauss, unbelievably sweet right into the highest registers.
Queen Latifah on the "Dana Owens" album
Etta James for purely sultry and jammin' blues

Hmmm, I seem to like to have women singing to me, what a suprise :)

So much great music...so little time to listen.

Walt