Mastadon ...

JoshK

Re: Mastadon ...
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jul 2007, 04:49 am »
Had a listen to Shinedown..unfortunately I think they fall into the same class as most nu-metal acts...   Nothing terribly new, ok songs, but nothing spectacular. No offense, but I prefer mastodon to that... I think they had much more original song writing/playing ability.

Josh....whats really "going to be new" with heavy metal ? :?

Not much...could say the same thing about a lot of music really.   Blues? well anyway, I thought Mastodon had a progressive element to their time signature which encaptured me.  Didn't totally dig the vocals but I got over it, based on what I heard for the rest.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #21 on: 5 Jul 2007, 04:52 am »
But I wouldn't classify Mastodon as death metal, which I really don't like. 

I didn't say they were....I did say I don't care for Death Metal....but still...same old,same old....just buy the better recorded Cd's.... 8)

JoshK

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jul 2007, 04:55 am »
I get ya...

What would be the better recorded CD of death metal?   (I thought Mastodon was OK recorded), I heard far worse, eg. Lonnie Johnson & Skip James which I listened to today, which were horrid quality.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #23 on: 5 Jul 2007, 05:00 am »
What would be the better recorded CD of death metal?
Beats me... :scratch:

A suggestion....read this.......click on the groups you don't know, listen to some samples....and if you like it, buy it.

Start in the past and work towards the future.....

JoshK

« Reply #24 on: 5 Jul 2007, 05:00 am »
oops, I didn't read that right.... you said you didn't care for death metal.... ditto

lonewolfny42

« Reply #25 on: 5 Jul 2007, 05:08 am »
..could say the same thing about a lot of music really.   Blues? well anyway...
Right...the blues....same old three chords....BUT....its how you play them....the recording....the feel in the vocals.....does it move you....the word would be QUALITY.... 8)

Airborn

« Reply #26 on: 8 Jul 2007, 05:47 am »
Josh, good to see you took the plunge on Mastodon. If you like Leviathan, you really need to check out Blood Mountain, which is their best so far IMO.  I also recommend Call of the Mastodon.

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #27 on: 8 Jul 2007, 06:36 am »
Not to hijack this thread but Opeth is a great band, the only negative being the "death growl" vocals which Mikael Akerfeltd all too frequently uses. Serious chops, great songwriting, furious playing and good production.

If you want to dip your ears gently into Opeth pick up "Damnation", primarily acoustic and no death growls. Full throttle Opeth would be "Blackwater Park", "Deliverence" or "Ghost Reveries".

nathanm

then he started rambling towards the end...
« Reply #28 on: 8 Jul 2007, 09:49 am »
Tool's first LP is very "audiophile" sounding.  I put it on once and thought, "Damn, I want to turn this up!"  :thumb:  It's not very often that you get that certain hi-fi "presence", I dunno how to describe it.  Mastodon...hmmm, I have only three tunes by them (P2P from somewheres) all from "Remission"  They have the sort of vocal I don't really care for, sort of the hardcore shouting thing.  Doesn't really grab me.  I did read an interview with them in Metal Maniacs though.  I guess "Blood Mountain" is some sort of concept album.  I'm always for that. 

My metal tastes are more or less grounded in the late '80s, early 90's  it's difficult for me to find up-to-date metal that I like.  I've bought a few here and there but only played some of them once.  Seems like the most radical thing you can do these days would be to actually tune your guitar to E!  All this Nu-Metal crap is tuned so low, but they don't really "earn it" IMHO.  I think low tuning should be like a rare spice, not the main meal. 

Death Metal doesn't really lend itself to conventional ideas of Hi-Fi, the highly processed sound is part of the appeal.  Don't get me started of drum triggers though... :mad:  Still, there are a few gems which stick out as being unconventionally nice sounding:
Suffocation "Human Waste" - by some idiots definition this is a "crappy" recording, but it's not, it's raw and realistic.  It sounds big and blaring, like you'd expect a death metal band to sound.
Sinister "Cross The Styx" - one of the band guys runs a recording studio and you can hear why, he knows what he's doing.
Cianide "A Descent Into Hell" - this album stands alone as the most bass-heavy thing I've ever heard.  It makes everyone else sound thin and reedy in comparison!
Phantasm - good luck finding anything by them, (The Abominable) but there's a special spot in my heart for my (sort of) hometown heroes.  NOBODY sounds like Phantasm, they have THE most unique guitar and drum tone out there.  No triggers here thank you very much.  These guys had everything going for them, great grizzly sound, the bassist was a great artist who had an inked illustration for each song, a singing drummer, and genuine horror movie influence.  I miss these guys, death metal needs them back.

caddisgeek

« Reply #29 on: 10 Jul 2007, 12:18 am »
If we are talking home town hero's and metal I'd recommend anyone check out a band from Australia called Damaged, currently on hiatus after reforming (I think). Their first album "Do not spit" is amazing, not sure if the recording is up to scratch for everyone but its good enough for me. A typical case of a band that could have been huge, started out in a regional town, moved to the big (well big by our standards), blew every touring big name metal act of the stage then dissolved in personal issues. Growling vocals to be sure, but for me that suits the style, and sure beats the hell out high pitched falsetto. BTW Damaged were a bit hard to classify but I'd say more grindcore than death metal