OK,who is the best at country-rock..????

OTL

Re: OK,who is the best at country-rock..????
« Reply #40 on: 30 Aug 2006, 12:46 am »
One of the tightest bands going...The Kentucky Headhunters..........http://www.kentuckyheadhunters.com/

drphoto

« Reply #41 on: 30 Aug 2006, 01:03 am »
2big,

I'm no historian, but I guess the so called 'mountain music' of Eastern KY, the Carolinas, etc came from the traditional music of Scotch/Irish immigrants. This eventually leading to both Bluegrass and country w/ country seeming to have a blues influence.

Any musicologist out there?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #42 on: 30 Aug 2006, 01:15 am »
Country Rock....a nice page here..... 8)
I always considered Poco and Buffalo Springfield as a good example's of Country Rock....and maybe a little Moby Grape too... :guitar:

2bigears

« Reply #43 on: 30 Aug 2006, 01:26 am »
some good info streamin' in now,THKS.what's the album to go for with the HEAD HUNTERS ????

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #44 on: 30 Aug 2006, 01:26 am »

Yes I agree about Poco and Buffalo Springfield.

My post of the selected early country rock bands came, conveniently enough, from wikipedia. But my point, which I should have stated, was that Coutry Rock had undeniable origins, that should be considered when we discuss country rock.

There was a period in the history of rock when country rock evolved and became "country rock". If music does not resemble this original country rock, then perhaps it has evolved into something else. I would venture to say that there may not be a lot of "country rock" created these days, or it may frequently not be (in my opinion) recognized for what it is.

Originally, country rock was almost synonymous with a rock band simply incorporating the distinctive sound of the pedal steel guitar in a song, which up to that point was associated in the minds of narrow-minded druggie rock journalists (and rock musicians) with that twangy country music. This is pretty understandable but not very open minded - but consider the outrage, yes outrage, on the part of most Folk folk when Dylan "went electric" at that folk festival. Consider that Nashville and Memphis were in a different universe than New York/Chicago/LA/Detroit. So when there was a pedal steel guitar in a rock and roll song it had to be "country" rock. (I have even seen some Steely Dan songs described as "country" just because there is a pedal steel guitar! (Brooklyn)) Nowadays experimentation in all genres of music is so much more common place.

But at the same time these bands were really dabbling in country music themes and styles, which were after all already there before they emulated the Beatles and of course Elvis. Hank and Carl Perkins were pretty Rock and Roll. When Rock and Roll became the dominant pop music with the young it replaced Folk.
By that time (1967) the cutting edge bands at that formative time were all electric, all electric ladyland recording studio oriented, and the country music business wasn't really that way. But Country was still there.

The pedal steel guitar could be seen as analogous to the electric guitar in Rock. It was an electric instrument that made it convenient to record in the studio, as well as perform in a show, many new sounds. It also was a new dominant instrument (compare to fiddle and banjo) that could carry the songs.

Still when these rock bands went in a steel pedal direction, they did go in a truly more country direction, and even a totally country direction on some songs. Their counter-culture at that time, from the music business perspective, besides the drugs and hippie thing, was expressed by doing the  country music thing. And of course Dylan made it easier to go in that direction as he came from the acoustic, Folk direction.

And Jerry Garcia was in a Bluegrass band for crying out loud (albeit not the Kentucky culture) before he formed the Grateful Dead. Bluegrass was really big (like Folk) before the Beatles hit. But country was so uncool after the Beatles that it was off the radar in pop culture for a few important years before this country rock thing happened. Basically all american music that wasn't from New York (or ethnic music from another country) was "country" in the old days. Of course Classical music and the development of Jazz were the exceptions.

If someone comes from country to Rock, to me its usually not "country rock". If they go from rock to alt country to me its usually not "country rock". I am afraid that for me it is a pretty narrow sub-genre, with only occaisional glimpses today.

As far as letting Viacom tell us what country music is (Viacom includes the MTV/VH1/CMT/BET cartel) I think we should consider the "brainwash them"/"does it make us more money" factor there....

John Casler

« Reply #45 on: 30 Aug 2006, 01:30 am »
I always considered Poco and Buffalo Springfield as a good example's of Country Rock....and maybe a little Moby Grape too... :guitar:

If you read down the page a bit, they list none other than the Rolling Stones???

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #46 on: 30 Aug 2006, 01:42 am »

If you read down the page a bit, they list none other than the Rolling Stones???

"During 1968, Richards had been hanging out in London with Gram Parsons, who had left The Byrds on the eve of their departure for a tour in the Union of South Africa. By all accounts, Parsons had significant impact on Richards' taste in country music, and perhaps as a result of his influence, the band recorded a true honky-tonk song, "Country Honk," a more uptempo and rock and roll version of which would appear as their next single, "Honky Tonk Women." The LP track featured fiddle player Byron Berline, who worked with Parsons frequently throughout the latter's career. Parsons frequently took credit for the arrangement of "Country Honk", although both Jagger and Richards have stated that it was actually the original arrangement of the song as written and conceived while vacationing in Brazil in late 1968. In any event, Parsons had recently introduced the group to his cache of traditional country records and was at least indirectly responsible for this sea change. The singer's own cover, released on the 1976 rarities compilation Sleepless Nights features a slightly different set of lyrics and yet another arrangement that combines elements of both Stones versions."

fredgarvin

« Reply #47 on: 30 Aug 2006, 01:56 am »
Early Jackson Browne, Pure Prairie League, Poco and the Flying Burrito Bros. are leading examples of what became known as "Country Rock". Neil Young and many others dabbled in it when it was hot. Southern Rock, as it was called, came from there as well:Elvin Bishop, ex-blues guy, Marshal Tucker band ,Wet Willie and Skynrd. Alt Country is quite different in form as it is an outgrowth. And yes, the Stones dabbled in it too.

John Casler

« Reply #48 on: 30 Aug 2006, 02:15 am »

"During 1968, Richards had been hanging out in London with Gram Parsons, who had left The Byrds on the eve of their departure for a tour in the Union of South Africa. By all accounts, Parsons had significant impact on Richards' taste in country music, and perhaps as a result of his influence, the band recorded a true honky-tonk song, "Country Honk," a more uptempo and rock and roll version of which would appear as their next single, "Honky Tonk Women." The LP track featured fiddle player Byron Berline, who worked with Parsons frequently throughout the latter's career. Parsons frequently took credit for the arrangement of "Country Honk", although both Jagger and Richards have stated that it was actually the original arrangement of the song as written and conceived while vacationing in Brazil in late 1968. In any event, Parsons had recently introduced the group to his cache of traditional country records and was at least indirectly responsible for this sea change. The singer's own cover, released on the 1976 rarities compilation Sleepless Nights features a slightly different set of lyrics and yet another arrangement that combines elements of both Stones versions."

Just goes to show you there are "no boundaries" only blurred veils between the genres.

I mean "Honky Tonk Woman" comes straight out of country slang for a bar girl.

I grew up with GrandParents in the South, and as a Whippersnapper saw much of the movie Deliverance, including the corncob pipe smokin, banjo strumming "porch people" just walking around "the holler".

They might not have known the President, but they knew Patsy, Jerry Lee, Dolly, Jimmy, and Johnny.

And all my uncles and older cousins, used to tell me the tales of "Honky Tonk" women.

Man, you put Rockabilly, Gospel, Blues, Country, and whatever else in the mix, and it was a PARTY!

No disco, techno, Kenny G there.  Steel Guitars, Banjo's, Mandolins, Stand up Basses, fiddles, Honky Tonk Piano, and even blowing across the top of a jug, was part of the sound.  On the Porch, they even played pots and pans and "spoons", which was a real art in itself.

It was raw, and it was very cool to listen to.

OTL

« Reply #49 on: 30 Aug 2006, 02:28 am »
some good info streamin' in now,THKS.what's the album to go for with the HEAD HUNTERS ????

I've not heard 'em all, but Pickin' on Nashville and Electric Barnyard are dead even for boogie factor.  Remember the late 60's song "Skip a rope"? They turn it into rock and roll.  Either album lights up a Sunday afternoon beer fest.

2bigears

« Reply #50 on: 30 Aug 2006, 02:33 am »
thks OTL,added to the list... :D

chadh

« Reply #51 on: 30 Aug 2006, 02:38 am »

Does Kinky Friedman qualify?

He certainly claims that his band, Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys, was the greatest Jewish country-rock band of all time.

By the way, is he governor of Texas yet?

Chad

OTL

« Reply #52 on: 30 Aug 2006, 02:47 am »
thks OTL,added to the list... :D

Don't forget The Amazing Rythm Aces.......possibly the tightest band ever to record.  Don't take my word for it, take a listen from allmusic.com....http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=33:5e811vk2zz9a

If you slide the vinyl over the spindle and crank it up, 30 minutes just disappear................

Much of their stuff is just way too good to be unknown, but that's what makes 'em special.  It's way, way beyond me to understand how these guys never made the big time.....

OTL

« Reply #53 on: 30 Aug 2006, 02:51 am »
Oops...missed the link to "Love and Happiness".  This should do it....

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=50:zx6ibkd90akc~T

This stuff is almost 20 years old!  YIKES!

Frihed91

« Reply #54 on: 30 Aug 2006, 05:33 am »
Amazing Rhythm Aces.  They came to Copenhagen a year or so ago.  "Third rate romance, low rent rendezvous....."  Love that song.

Thump553

« Reply #55 on: 30 Aug 2006, 05:43 pm »
I bet I haven't thought of (or heard) Amazing Rhythm Aces in thirty years-they were pretty good, as I remember.

TIC

« Reply #56 on: 31 Aug 2006, 02:26 am »

The original poster asked about "Country Rock" then gave Steve Earl as an example.  Myself, I wouldn't place Steve Earl in the Country Rock genre.

Grover,

Have you ever heard Steve Earle's first big record "Guitar Town".

"Hey little baby are you ready for me? It's your good rockin' daddy down from Tennessee"

Sure sounds like it cound be called Country Rock to me. Generally I call it Hillybilly Rock, but Country Rock works for me too.....

BTW, I love "Guitar Town"! Great record.

Enjoy,

TIC

TIC

« Reply #57 on: 31 Aug 2006, 02:32 am »
old Steve was a rebel,"goin' to New York city" is a great song   :D

2bigears,

"New York City" by Steve Earl is an incredible song. One of my favorites. I love to crank that one up to "11" when no one else is home!

Enjoy,

TIC

TIC

You need to be in Cincinnati Oct 4-8th
« Reply #58 on: 31 Aug 2006, 02:48 am »
All,

If you like this kind of music, plus Blues, Bluegrass, Americana, Folk and real R&B, you need to be in Cincinnati on Oct 4th-Oct 8th for the Tall Stacks Festival. Check out the lineup at the link below. And it only cost $20 for all 5 days and nights!

http://www.tallstacks.com/Entertainment/index.html

I went in 2003 and saw Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, The Jayhawks, Los Lobos, Nickle Creek, Delbert McClinton, and a host of others. It was $10 in 2003!

It is an outstanding show in an outstanding venue on the Ohio River in Downtown Cincinnati. Be here if you love roots music. Oh, and music is secondary to the Riverboats (but I prefer the music)

Enjoy,

TIC

TIC

Tall Stacks Lineup
« Reply #59 on: 31 Aug 2006, 02:50 am »
Here's the Tall Stacks lineup:

Abigail Washburn 
Al Green
Asleep at the Wheel
BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet
Bettye LaVette
Big Sandy & His Fly-Rite Boys