Music Recommendations

Adarsh

Music Recommendations
« on: 6 Feb 2005, 02:21 pm »
Could someone please give me some recommendations of good music to listen. I have strong urge to listen to new music. There's a lot of talk about some types of music which sound relatively well on certain systems, if so can someone please let me know how I can select the best music for my system.

So far I've trouble with most of the pop music. They never sound as wholesome as something like Diana Krall.

Thanks.

-A

Adarsh

Music Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2005, 06:31 am »
Anyone?

gongos

Music Recommendations
« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2005, 07:20 am »
Are you asking us to tell you what genre of music you like?

Adarsh

Music Recommendations
« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2005, 07:54 am »
Nooo!

How To Choose Music!

Is that hard?

gongos

Music Recommendations
« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2005, 09:35 am »
How to choose music. :o

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Music Recommendations
« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2005, 02:24 pm »
Start with music that you like!  Then, find other people that like it, and ask them what else they like.  Or go to online stores like Amazon or bn.com (or better yet, rhapsody, so you can hear the whole song) and listen to samples.   The local library has loads of stuff to try.  Unless you give us more info, guy, you are gonna get very very generic answers.  Not sure what you expect with a question like: How do I choose music.  

Ted

Soundbitten

Music Recommendations
« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2005, 02:28 pm »
Quote from: Adarsh
Nooo!

How To Choose Music!

Is that hard?

no it's not hard , just listen and decide what you like

dwk

Music Recommendations
« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2005, 02:30 pm »
As it stands, you've basically just said 'tell me some good music', which will generate as many different answers as there are people on the forum.

My suggestion - go to www.allmusic.com and plug in a few artists you like, and then follow the 'similar artists' and 'influenced by' links.  

Have a discussion with your credit card company before doing this, as it's gonna be expensive :-)

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Music Recommendations
« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2005, 03:13 pm »
Adarsh wrote:
So far I've trouble with most of the pop music. They never sound as wholesome as something like Diana Krall.

Try some Lena Horne.  Then try Sarah Vaughan, Aretha Franklin, Billie Holiday.  For more bluesy vocals, try Etta James and Bonnie Raitt.  For Folk, Odetta and, I suppose, Joni Mitchell deserves to be heard.  Then if you dare, listen to some opera samplers for more famous arias and see if you like them.  Try more melodic Verdi, Bizet and Mozart arias with well known Diva (Callas, Tibaldi, de Los Angeles, Sutherland, Caballe, Price, Norman for a start) and see if you like them.  There are genres of music that you haven't tapped yet!  And this is just the female vocals!

Gordy

Music Recommendations
« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2005, 03:43 pm »
Hi Adarsh,

You might also try listening to samples, as per dwk's suggestion, of artists like Loreena McKennett, Patty Griffin, Vas, Calamus, Dead Can Dance, Cowboy Junkies, Katheen Edwards, Jordi Savall, Gigi, California Guitar Trio, Renaud Garcia-Fons, Lanterna, Steve Tibbetts...

nathanm

Music Recommendations
« Reply #10 on: 7 Feb 2005, 04:58 pm »
Please tell me this thread is a joke.

Adarsh

Music Recommendations
« Reply #11 on: 7 Feb 2005, 05:27 pm »
hehe

....yeah...it is.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Music Recommendations
« Reply #12 on: 7 Feb 2005, 05:34 pm »
Come on Nathan,

This is a chance to show off your eclectic and esoteric knowledge of musicians who are sufficiently obsecure (and may even be good) to duely impress the rest of us who depend on Borders and Towers for CD's.    :mrgreen:   Don't throw mud at those who are willing to learn from the Gurus.  We come humbly.   :oops:

nathanm

Music Recommendations
« Reply #13 on: 7 Feb 2005, 07:03 pm »
Who's throwing mud?  I only want to confirm that such a broad and ridiculous question is coming from someone trying to have a few laughs and not that they are truly and sincerely a completely empty vessel with no tastes of their own.  Because the latter, if indeed legit, would be very depressing.

But in case Adarsh IS serious, I'll recommend listening exclusively to Burl Ives and nothing else.  This way you'll save money and become one with the spirit of Burl.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Music Recommendations
« Reply #14 on: 7 Feb 2005, 07:28 pm »
Adarsh,
If this thread is indeed your joke, how many other posts of yours are jokes?
"Why do people drink anyway?"
"I hate loud cd's"? (I was going to respond to that one, but dunno)

I mean, I took time out of my day to post; and tried to politely tell you to go and find some samples or go to Rhapsody and listen to whole albums; start a search on similar artists. Ask friends who like what you like.

Never-frickin-mind!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Music Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: 7 Feb 2005, 08:10 pm »
Nathan,

I am not trying to pick on you; it's just that every time I see your avatar I get tempted to flip a verbal finger.   :mrgreen:  

In that vein, "a completely empty vessel without any taste of their own" has already reached the state of Musical Sunyata! :mrgreen:

From Geshe Kelsang Gyatso:
Ultimate truth, emptiness, and ultimate nature of phenomena are the same. We should know that all our problems arise because we do not realize ultimate truth. The reason we remain in samsara's prison is that due to our delusions we continue to engage in contaminated actions. All our delusions stem from self-grasping ignorance. Self-grasping ignorance is the source of all our negativity and problems, and the only way to eradicate it is to realize emptiness. Emptiness is not easy to understand, but it is extremely important that we make the effort. Ultimately our efforts will be rewarded by the permanent cessation of all suffering and the everlasting bliss of full enlightenment.

So, you see. It's not a depressing thing.  We should rather congratulate Adarsh although I suspect he would be beyond such feelings.  :wink:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Music Recommendations
« Reply #16 on: 8 Feb 2005, 05:53 am »
Nooo!

How To Choose Music!

Is that hard?
    Picking music is easy....I have a very unique way to choose music. I stop at a retail music cd store. I have a Tower close by. I hit the displays just grabbing all sorts of cds, makes no difference what they are. Upon arriving home, I fill up the empty spaces in my cd rack.....mixing up the cd's as I go along. Grabbing a blind fold , I stand in front of the cd rack , spin around three times, and pick out a cd to play. I made some great choice's this way. You might give it a try. 8) [/list:u]
      But a word of caution...don't spin around more than three times....you may get dizzy and fall down. Good luck with your picks!! :lol: [/list:u]

ghersh

Re: Music Recommendations
« Reply #17 on: 8 Feb 2005, 07:31 am »
Could someone please give me some recommendations of good music to listen. I have strong urge to listen to new music. There's a lot of talk about some types of music which sound relatively well on certain systems, if so can someone please let me know how I can select the best music for my system.

Thanks.

-A

Having trouble with pop music? Try 'Sister Ray' by Velvet Underground. If you can make through it, you won't have any trouble with anything, ever.

Adarsh

Music Recommendations
« Reply #18 on: 8 Feb 2005, 11:36 am »
Just give me a list of good music...stuff that's not easy to find.

-A

Tonto Yoder

Music Recommendations
« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2005, 12:19 pm »
I think you'll find Eugene to your liking:
http://www.eugenemirman.com/

Besides the sheer musical enjoyment of this crooning child (think Charlotte Church), the recordings are almost preternaturally realistic----Eugene is THERE in your room, exactly three feet off the floor, emerging from a black background with a voice that may make you weep.