J J Cale passed away last night

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: J J Cale passed away last night
« Reply #20 on: 3 Dec 2013, 07:18 pm »
Revive of an older topic:

Can anyone give recommendations of the best recordings for Cale's music?  I had some of his earlier stuff on album along time ago but would like CD remasters or import recommendations etc.

Thanks!

Sad to know that he passed
It is know that J.J.Cale had a rec studio in his home and recorded many of his albums in house.
It was a digital PCM based stuff and the SQ was commercial grade with lots of compression and a close up mike approach.
Hard to get audiophile SQ in these pop/rock conditions. Sorry for the bad news.
« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2013, 08:48 pm by FULLRANGEMAN »

carusoracer

« Reply #21 on: 4 Dec 2013, 03:39 pm »
Well..Thanks for the news. 

Any recommendations on must have CD's? 

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #22 on: 4 Dec 2013, 04:06 pm »
It's about the music not the SQ. I should go without one of America's best song writers because of non-audiophile SQ? I don't think so.

Doc

Ace Deprave

« Reply #23 on: 4 Dec 2013, 04:48 pm »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 4 Dec 2013, 06:12 pm »

Iam suspect to it, I like all his albums and had all them;
I like specially his trimbre voice, a very pleasant sing to listen.
Troubadour was my first CD in 1985.
God bless him.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #25 on: 4 Dec 2013, 06:39 pm »
While I'm sure everyone has their favorites, I think it's hard not to stock his earliest work. Naturally being a must have.  :thumb:

Alexdad54

« Reply #26 on: 4 Dec 2013, 11:54 pm »
While the vinyl may be better than the CD's, I think his earlier CD's are actually very good .

In addition to those mentioned above, Grasshopper is a favorite of mine:

Of his later material  "Roll On"  and "To Tulsa and Back" are superb, with the latter featuring a reunion with many of his old Oklahoma musician buddies...

carusoracer

« Reply #27 on: 6 Dec 2013, 05:33 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations!

Not sure of the comments regarding SQ :scratch:. I'm an avid Jazz listener and I love the old Blue Note recordings. Great sound quality from the original recording, better sound quality from the RVG Remasters etc.  Many of the great "works" of artists have been remastered in SACD, etc., not sure of your point. 

I just want to find the best quality recordings of his music...

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #28 on: 6 Dec 2013, 06:33 pm »
I think the general comments on sound quality go more to production than the music. JJ was a down-home kind of guy, probably more known by musicians than the public for most of his career. His music is pretty simple & straight forward, and as noted he had his own recording studio, and production was in the same vein. Production-wise the SQ went up probably starting with Troubadour, carrying on thru from there. Not sure what may be available in the way of remasters at this time, or if there are SACDs available as yet. I imagine in time there will be, but I wouldn't avoid any of his releases since none are bad recordings imo.

I don't know that his early work would match up to the Blue Note recordings quality-wise, though the initial CD release of Kind of Blue was pretty rough. The first few recordings pretty much sound like a group of guys sitting in a room playing music, much like you'd hear in a small club, not what I'd imagine as a studio. They are laid back, and not terribly dynamic, but the music is pretty laid back as well. Good luck with your search, if I run across anything that stands out above the intial releases quality-wise will post for your info.
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2013, 08:14 pm by ArthurDent »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 7 Dec 2013, 07:16 pm »
J.J.Cale SQ music would benefit from a sweet tube amp with a paper cone fullrange driver.

carusoracer

« Reply #30 on: 10 Dec 2013, 08:19 pm »
I think the general comments on sound quality go more to production than the music. JJ was a down-home kind of guy, probably more known by musicians than the public for most of his career. His music is pretty simple & straight forward, and as noted he had his own recording studio, and production was in the same vein. Production-wise the SQ went up probably starting with Troubadour, carrying on thru from there. Not sure what may be available in the way of remasters at this time, or if there are SACDs available as yet. I imagine in time there will be, but I wouldn't avoid any of his releases since none are bad recordings imo.

I don't know that his early work would match up to the Blue Note recordings quality-wise, though the initial CD release of Kind of Blue was pretty rough. The first few recordings pretty much sound like a group of guys sitting in a room playing music, much like you'd hear in a small club, not what I'd imagine as a studio. They are laid back, and not terribly dynamic, but the music is pretty laid back as well. Good luck with your search, if I run across anything that stands out above the intial releases quality-wise will post for your info.

Thanks!  :thumb: