American Hustle

mcgsxr

American Hustle
« on: 9 Jan 2014, 09:22 pm »
Saw it this week.

An entertaining flick with some good performances and a few fun twists.

I'd have liked more twists to be honest, I think Tarantino could have had a lot of fun adapting a script like this, but it was enjoyable.

Liked the cars in it, but that likely relates to my age (mid 40's).

LOVED the soundtrack, will have to pick that up.  There was some of the expected, but also a few really choice tunes.

Worth a look I think.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: American Hustle
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2014, 04:04 am »
I like it, too.  Bale was great as always, and I thought Amy Adams was a standout.  Even better than she was in the fighter (and easy on the eyes I have to say).  The real surprise to me was how funny it was- didn't realize going in that it was a comedy of sorts.

BTW, Google to hear Louis CK finish the ice fishing story! :thumb:

bhakti

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2014, 04:51 am »
Good movie in the Hollywood tradition.  Most likely to win the Academy Award for best film.

Me?  Just a fly on the wall   :lol:

k6davis

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2014, 06:53 am »
I enjoyed it very much as well. I've already pre-ordered the Blu-Ray.

All of the lead performers were excellent, but I think Amy Adams did her best work ever here. And she did look beautiful, as her character needed to.

ss397

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2014, 03:12 pm »
This was a very enjoyable movie. A great script, and superbly acted. The plot was written for adults. Why can't we have more movies like this? I guess because grownups like me wait to see so many on video, right?

Trover

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2014, 08:32 pm »
Saw in theater and have bluray. I thought it was above average in all areas, but not great in any one area, still it was really enjoyable. Some comedy, some suspense, talented and attractive cast- at the end of the day maybe a style over substance production, but neither is it an airless raft. I Loved the soundtrack and the vinyl scenes in the film too. It was as if they kept playing records in my collection lol. The film will probably become a small cult classic for a certain element, and earn extra points for viewers like myself who are familiar with Abscam and grew up in New York/New Jersey area around that time- The sheik from queens lol. "American Hustle" hit the right buttons for me.

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2014, 05:38 am »
I thought it was a lightweight homage to Scorcese sans violence. I'm surprised the Scorsese comparisons don't come up more 'cause the movie's framing and direction and all around tone is very much Scorsese channeled through Russell's sensibilities. I don't think Deniro was an accident in this regard. To be honest I think Russell handled certain elements better than Scorsese would have. Russell really knows how to pull stuff out of his actors.

That said my GF and I got kinda bored after a while. There just was not a whole lot of substance to the film, it was carried by the performances (which were excellent) but that only took it so far.

An enjoyable film to be sure, definitely not Best Picture worthy at all though IMO. So glad it didn't win despite the hype.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2014, 01:38 pm »
Thought this movie was a blast!  All those actors in roles not accustomed to seeing.  Never understood what the fuss was about Jennifer Lawrence.  I, did, however, admire her first performance in that independent movie about meth heads up in the Ozarks.  Her performance in American Hustle was impressive.  "Batman" and Jeremy Irons, too.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2014, 03:08 pm »
Thought this movie was a blast!  All those actors in roles not accustomed to seeing.  Never understood what the fuss was about Jennifer Lawrence.  I, did, however, admire her first performance in that independent movie about meth heads up in the Ozarks.  Her performance in American Hustle was impressive.  "Batman" and Jeremy Irons, too.
"A Winter's Bone" was the amazingly good meth-head movie.   I thought Ms. Lawrence's acting was top notch- a convincing portrayal of clinging, manipulative, uneducated gold digger with a chip on her shoulder- without falling into trailer trash cliché. 
Agree entirely- "thought the movie was a blast".  I just don't care about whether it is "Best" picture, director, etc.  It is definitely entertaining.

jonbee

« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2014, 03:36 pm »
I saw AH in the theater and thought it was fun to watch. Last weekend I watched the DVD on my main system and just a heads up- the sound on this is amazing! Check it out!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2014, 03:42 pm »
Nice take on her performance in that one, Scott.  I was mostly referring to Hunger Games which is a dumb story to me.  Is there is revolution in the sequel?  Or, is that being saved for the three-quel.  Somebody please mess up Donald Sutherland's hair.  Yuck.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2014, 04:26 pm »
Hunger Games, the Twilight stuff, even the Hobbit parts 1,2,3, infinity... are all cash cows that are interested only appealing to a young audience.  It's hard to turn down mega bucks for the sake of artistic purity. 

Mike B.

« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2014, 05:44 pm »
I thought the characters were interesting but it was a convoluted mess in some places. My favorite from the Academy picks last year is still Nebraska.

lokie

« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2014, 08:33 pm »
Good clean fun.

I thought Jenifer Lawrence was the show stealer. Amy Adams put in solid showing as always. Both were fun to watch.

Anybody else think Bales did a little bit of a Dinero imitation? Hand gestures etc...

wushuliu

« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2014, 09:56 pm »
Good clean fun.

I thought Jenifer Lawrence was the show stealer. Amy Adams put in solid showing as always. Both were fun to watch.

Anybody else think Bales did a little bit of a Dinero imitation? Hand gestures etc...

I like Jennifer Lawrence but Amy Adams...damn she's good. The two of them would be great in a film or about rival sisters or equivalent. They have such different energies and charge the screen in different ways.

I also like that Russell knows how to channel Bradley Cooper's a-hole qualities. I've always felt Russell casts actors whose personalities are similar to the characters they play. Cooper was excellent in Silver Linings as well I think for the same reason.

For the love of god though Christian Bale needs to do a real comedy, where he laughs and stuff. His perpetual dourness, a sheer refusal to show any true joy in a role, is starting to get creepy. He is like the anti-Tom Cruise now.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2014, 11:25 pm »
Yeah, nice to see him without a cape.

ajzepp

« Reply #16 on: 22 Apr 2014, 01:48 pm »
I was mostly referring to Hunger Games which is a dumb story to me.  Is there is revolution in the sequel?  Or, is that being saved for the three-quel.  Somebody please mess up Donald Sutherland's hair.  Yuck.

Jim, I was very much anti-Hunger Games after seeing the first part. I honestly did not understand what all the fuss was about. I watched part two since the lady friend wanted to give it a go, and in my opinion it's a stronger film. The story heads in a direction that I think will appeal to a more adult audience. I'm actually eager to see the next one now and am cautiously optimistic that I may end up enjoying this franchise after all. Of course, that could all change after pt III  :lol:

ajzepp

« Reply #17 on: 22 Apr 2014, 01:49 pm »
My favorite from the Academy picks last year is still Nebraska.

:beer:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr 2014, 02:39 pm »
Good clean fun.

I expect he was trying to get a "New Yorker" thing.  Agree with you about JL given what we've seen of her.