T+A DAC 8 Wide Mode and the Bryston 4BSST and SP3

mrJB

T+A DAC 8 Wide Mode and the Bryston 4BSST and SP3
« on: 5 Mar 2015, 08:44 pm »
The DAC has a "analogue reconstruction filter" with a Normal Mode up to 60 kHz and a Wide Mode up to 120 kHz.

The manual says, " WIDE setting produces the best sound quality, but only with high quality amplifiers which are able to process signal frequencies up to 300 kHz without generating distortion.  If you are in any doubt about the ability of your amplifier to deal with very high signal frequencies of to 300 kHz, please check this with the manufacturer of your equipment."

To Wide or not to Wide.  That is the question.

Thanks in advance.

JB

R. Daneel

Re: T+A DAC 8 Wide Mode and the Bryston 4BSST and SP3
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2015, 05:50 pm »
Before my purchase of the Bryston BDA-2, I was looking at T+A equipment. My suggestion would be to use whichever option that sounds best to you. Remember that most loudspeakers cannot even approach to reproduce frequencies as high as 60 kHz and they cannot even be unconsciously percieved. Recent research suggests we can percieve frequencies as high as 50 kHz but this is all academic and middle-aged people will have difficulties hearing anything above 16.5 kHz.

The Wide filter might have an effect in the audio band so it might make a difference in sound but not necessarily because it allows for a wider frequency range.

I always thought T+A CD players sounded excellent. Very flat and transparent. Try using both filters and see what you like more.

Cheers!
Antun