New here - My system and future plans

dcj98gst

New here - My system and future plans
« on: 17 Nov 2010, 09:38 pm »
Right now I own a HT system with ONKYO 886 pre and emotiva xpa-5 amp.  I am working on upgrading my system for 2 channel as well.  So far I have the following:

Gallo 3.1 speakers with upgraded mapleshade equiv. DIY stands
Parasound HCA 2200 amp
Parasound new classic 2100 preamp.
Squeezbox SB3 (currently using the SB3 analog out)

This sound pretty good right now.  But this is what I am thinking of adding:

W4S Dac-2 (sell the parasound 2100) and use this for a dac and pre-amp
I own another Parasound HCA 2200 amp so I am going to bridge both amps and run them as monoblocks for each speaker.
Possibly add a tube buffer?? 
Get the bolder modded power supply for the SB3

Other options considered instead of the DAC2 are:
1. W4S dac-1 and get a separate tube pre-amp (possibly the eastern electric mini max?)
2. Peachtree nova

Looking for suggestions on which is a better route and what would be a good tube preamp/dac. 

Also will the bolder mods be worth getting if I only use the digital out?

Thanks,

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: New here - My system and future plans
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2010, 09:48 pm »
Welcome to AC!!

Mariusz

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2010, 11:27 pm »
Depending on your budget of course but here it goes, shooting half blind  :no_see:  :

- amplification/speakers matching is often underestimated and it is probably one of the most important steps in achieving great sound. With that in mind, I would start there.
- Wyred4Sound is great and easy recommendation. Which model to get thought will depend on your needs and features which are important to you. If you do not need remote control and volume options (I think you will be better off with either buffer or dedicated preamp) go with W4S 1 and add something like Dodd tube buffer with remote control for tube "flavor" and excellent sound quality.
For source component I would go with PC (Win or Mac).

Just my 2c

Watson

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2010, 11:45 pm »
Other options considered instead of the DAC2 are:
1. W4S dac-1 and get a separate tube pre-amp (possibly the eastern electric mini max?)
2. Peachtree nova

I like both of those alternative options, especially the Peachtree Nova, which deserves way more praise than it gets.

dcj98gst

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2010, 04:41 pm »
Depending on your budget of course but here it goes, shooting half blind  :no_see:  :

- amplification/speakers matching is often underestimated and it is probably one of the most important steps in achieving great sound. With that in mind, I would start there.
- Wyred4Sound is great and easy recommendation. Which model to get thought will depend on your needs and features which are important to you. If you do not need remote control and volume options (I think you will be better off with either buffer or dedicated preamp) go with W4S 1 and add something like Dodd tube buffer with remote control for tube "flavor" and excellent sound quality.
For source component I would go with PC (Win or Mac).

Just my 2c

Thanks!

I have tried two W4S sx-1000 monos with the Gallos but sold them!  They sounded very good but I actually prefered the Parasound 2200 a little better.  The parasound with its class A bias for the first 6 watts was a bit smoother and had more warmth than the high powered Class D.  Although I did loose a little on the low end bass compared to the wyred monos.  That is why I am thinking of bridging both my 2200's (other one needs service before implementing). 

Can you explain the benifits for using say a Mac mini as a source instead of the digital out for the SB3?