What speakers did you replace?

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
Re: What speakers did you replace?
« Reply #80 on: 22 Mar 2012, 05:12 pm »
I am in the process of replacing my ancient Miller & Kreisel S-150THX 5.1

Frans:
I have the M&K S-150thx system also. I am not usings them at all right now. Although clearly they are not in the same league as my HT2-TL's, I have used the sub MX350thx  some. They still make a fine 5.1 system.

charmerci

« Reply #81 on: 22 Mar 2012, 06:14 pm »
I am in the process of replacing my ancient Miller & Kreisel S-150THX 5.1 system with a pair of Soundscape 12 speakers. The SS Center and M7 Surrounds are still being crafted, but it should be excellent when it's all done. The only original part left will be the Sub!

You're using a sub with the SS system? Why?

ratso

« Reply #82 on: 22 Mar 2012, 07:20 pm »
very much a to each his own, but i would always use my dual rythmik subs with any speaker i would have including the SS'. not as much work for the mains, and even the soundscapes can't put out the clean impactful bass of two 15" subs.

milford3

« Reply #83 on: 22 Mar 2012, 07:30 pm »
Replaced these.  Wish I still had them.  Model 11

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
« Reply #84 on: 22 Mar 2012, 07:36 pm »
You're using a sub with the SS system? Why?

Fair question! Part of my motivation of going with the SS12s was to eliminate the need for a dedicated sub.

I will be spending time assessing the difference in thunder now that the Wyred 4 Sound amp is in place. Historically speaking the dedicated .1 LFE channel in conjunction with a kick-ass powered subwoofer has been pretty freaking amazing - we're talking powerful impactful bass. I wasn't getting the same thunder when I was bi-amping the SS12's lower posts with less power using the Pio SC-37. This is an important area that 2-channel speakers tend to overlook, and that's to have a powered sub to properly supply the thunder needed for movies and video games.

I will be setting my Speaker Configuration to SW=OFF and have the Pio send the full band to the already set to "Large" front speakers, but without a Crossover @ 80 Hz (finger crossed that this will work as expected).

Fun stuff to do this weekend! If anybody measures earth tremors in Seattle - it's just me messing about. :-)

Now where's that Top Gun 25th Anniversary Blu-Ray?

Frans
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2012, 07:55 pm by Frans »

Frans

« Reply #85 on: 22 Mar 2012, 08:11 pm »
Replaced these.  Wish I still had them.  Model 11

Replaced them with what?

sounddog

« Reply #86 on: 29 Mar 2012, 01:08 am »
We just replaced our Magnepan MG12s with HT2-TLs. Some other speakers we considered were larger Maggies (1.6 or 1.7), VMPS RM30, Vandersteen 2Ce or 3A, Gallo Reference 3.5, and Martin Logans. While we still have a real affection for Maggies, we especially loved the clarity of the Salks, as well as their much better bass.

Austin08

« Reply #87 on: 29 Mar 2012, 03:01 am »
We just replaced our Magnepan MG12s with HT2-TLs. Some other speakers we considered were larger Maggies (1.6 or 1.7), VMPS RM30, Vandersteen 2Ce or 3A, Gallo Reference 3.5, and Martin Logans. While we still have a real affection for Maggies, we especially loved the clarity of the Salks, as well as their much better bass.

I agree, Long time ago, I use to have Maggies. I loved their clarity and quick trasition attack but the lack of bass and difficult room placement that have turned me off. Since then, I had changed a lot of speakers- few are better and few are worst in some respect but nothing get me exciting like my SS8. This speaker sure stay in my system long time till Jim's next big thing. :D

bakufu

« Reply #88 on: 29 Mar 2012, 12:58 pm »
apogee divas with emerald physics cs1.3's.

the divas were with me for 13 years, so i got to know them well -- their strengths and their weaknesses.  as good as they are, i've never quite understood the cult following they acquired.  they're highly sensitive to room acoustics, placement, amplification (better have lots of it), and the bass is never quite right.  they throw a huge and detailed sound-stage, and for classical vocals and chamber music (the bulk of my listening) they are superb.

the 1.3's match or exceed them in every respect.  i'm currently driving mine with three inexpensive, lightweight, cool-running class D amps (from wyred4sound), and using a prism orpheus as my preamp/dac with spatial computer's room correction software.  the 1.3's are ugly little beasts, at least compared to the toho-sci/fi look of the divas, but it's just huge fun to watch friends of mine who were familiar with my previous system pick their jaws up off the floor.  as one of them said to me following a listening session, it is the timing and tonal accuracy which astounds. 

screener

« Reply #89 on: 11 Apr 2012, 06:56 am »
I replaced a set of Mythos Ones with the Songtowers. Couldn't be happier.

Thanks Jim at Salk

squirrel_nut

« Reply #90 on: 26 Apr 2012, 05:13 am »
thought this would be a good thread for my first post.  my father was the head recording engineer for RCA in Chicago in the early 70s.  he would take me to the studios at night when he had unfinished work. i used to play around with instruments left in the studios, mostly drums, with kettles being my favorite to pound on. the coolest thing i remember was the lathe room, where he would cut albums to take home to my older sister. sadly, she has given all of them away years ago.. artists like chicago, alice cooper and the guess who. ebay would have loved those one of a kind vinyls. what does that have to do with the speakers i am replacing? well, JBLs were all they had in the RCA studios at that time and my father always told me those were the ones to get when i got older and started buying my own equipment. i remember enjoying their sound in the studios. he would cue up some music off the tascam reels and give me a soldering iron with some wire to create things. my first real job at the age of 16 was used to save up for my first speakers & electronics. i bought a technics integrated, turntable and a pair of JBL L19s. i have had the L19s ever since. they are 36 years old and i still love the way they sound, especially in the mid and high freq..  a lot of non-audiophiles have told me my current stereo with an EAD Sig-8, parasound hca-855 amp and oppo 83SE is by far the best they have ever heard. i know better, but the JBLs still sound smooth and sweet.  its time to see what a modern speaker design sounds like, so after much reading, and a little listening (B&W, PSB and Maggies) i have ended up here with an order for a pair of SongTowers.  I hope Jim and all his forum followers are not all talk. i wont like something just because i researched it and bought it... so it must be the greatest deal in speaker-dom. nevertheless, i have a great feeling about those boxes that will be heading my way in a few weeks.

Frans

« Reply #91 on: 26 Apr 2012, 02:31 pm »
I hope Jim and all his forum followers are not all talk. i wont like something just because i researched it and bought it... so it must be the greatest deal in speaker-dom. nevertheless, i have a great feeling about those boxes that will be heading my way in a few weeks.

Jim's speakers are the real deal. My dad was (is) an audiophile and had some impressive hardware as I was growing up - starting with a quadrophonic setup in the 70s and Quad electrostats, ESS, and the venerable Infinity Kappa 9. It wasn't until I got the Salk Soundscape speakers that I could rightfully claim that my system sounds better than his at its highest peak. FWIW.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #92 on: 26 Apr 2012, 02:41 pm »
  I hope Jim and all his forum followers are not all talk. i wont like something just because i researched it and bought it... so it must be the greatest deal in speaker-dom. nevertheless, i have a great feeling about those boxes that will be heading my way in a few weeks.

Ha!  Joke's on you!  We're all scammers here and get a cut from the sale of Jim's speakers to lure gullible folks like you into our snare! :dance:

jk  you will love them.  Which tweeter?

mick wolfe

« Reply #93 on: 26 Apr 2012, 11:47 pm »
Perhaps those of you who own our speakers can help me out.

Most everyone who explores the purchase of our speakers asks a similar question:  How does your speaker compare to speaker X or speaker Y?

The problem is, I have not heard many of the speakers in question and certainly haven't spent enough time with those I have to form a fair impression. And rarely have I ever done A/B comparisons. But most owners of our speakers purchased them to replace their current pair and are in a good position to spell out the sonic differences.

If you would be so kind as to compare and contrast the sound of the speakers we built for you to other speakers you have owned or spent considerable time with, it would be extremely valuable to those looking for comparisons.  And it would certainly cut down on the number of times I am asked to asnwer the same basic question.

Thanks, in advance, for your responses.  If we get enough of them, perhaps zybar can make this thread a "sticky."

- Jim

Spendor 2/3's.

squirrel_nut

« Reply #94 on: 27 Apr 2012, 02:45 am »
Red:   went with the standard OW2. i wanted the RAAL because of all the positive press i have read, mostly in this forum. couldnt convince the wifey of its magical properties. the speakers have been a hard sell with her since my current system with JBL L19s sounds so good to her already. jim's cabinetry is what won her over, so i let her pick out the vaneer and finish. i wanted fiddleback maple dyed green. she got the curly maple in smokey silver which is fine with me. she could have gone fuschia for all i care, just give me the salk sonics!

Caustic Casey

• "All government, of course, is against liberty.."
    • causticcasey.com
« Reply #95 on: 10 Aug 2012, 04:25 am »

I had "inherited" a Logitech sub from my brother a while back, it was the first time I ever had a "sub" in my listening room.  It was garbage, and when it finally bit the dust, I thought, if I can tolerate this speaker, which was actually made for computers, how happy will I be with a Salk Sub?
Jim recommended a 12" Rythmik and of course I went with it.  (I just assumed I should go with the Song Sub to match the ST's).
Real Excited....

glangford

« Reply #96 on: 11 Sep 2012, 01:42 pm »
I'm replacing a set of paradigm studio 10s with a set of supercharged song towers in dark curly cherry.  I really liked the studio 10s, but wanted a little better bass capabilities w/o a sub.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #97 on: 8 Oct 2012, 08:11 am »
Frank Van Alstine,
Thanks for posting the link for the thread that went through the search that led to Salk speakers. As I read all 21 pages, I thought to myself, " I hope I have that same instant love that you found with Salks when I audition the SS8s at the end of this month..." I will be replacing 15 year old B&W Matrix 803s and I hope that the salks will win me over as they did for you! Regards, Pete

Edit 10-28-12
As expected, I fell in love with the SS8s and ordered a pair. The B&Ws are already sold, I'm going from 5.1 to 2.0...Now the wait begins 60 days and counting...tick...tock...tick...tock
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2012, 12:09 am by PETE6737 »

JerryLove

« Reply #98 on: 15 Dec 2012, 02:19 am »
The list is long and the direct replacements are custom, so not useful.

My SCSTs are sitting where there might otherwise be my B&W 801S2's. Though the S2's go lower, there's less clear HF and an odd blurring-together of midrange sounds relative to both the customs that had replaced them and the SCST. Once I add a sub, there will be no up-side to the 801S2's.

PMAT

« Reply #99 on: 15 Dec 2012, 05:41 am »
Tick.... tock.... tick.... tock.... All great thing are worth waiting for. The wait is the foreplay. Try not to blow the fuse too quickly. The joy of anticipation makes everything around you so alive. Wish i were immersed in it now. It is perfectly acceptable to scream.