Silk At's are in the house

Woodsman

Silk At's are in the house
« on: 17 Jan 2017, 04:28 pm »
My Silks have finally arrived. I gave Jim and the team a few choices for veneers based on some of my favorite woods. They chose Imbuya burl and I love the them. You never really do understand what the fit and finish is until you see them in person. Hands down, the finest finish I have ever seen. I am getting a good ol fashion rear end kicking at work, so I have not actually taken any pictures or hooked them up. But the good part is, the next speaker project fund is growing quickly. I will get some more pics posted soon, these are taken by Jim.

johzel

Re: Silk At's are in the house
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2017, 04:39 pm »
Absolutely gorgeous cabinets . . . and I know the sound is even more "gorgeous"!!  Congrats.

Joe Frances

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2017, 01:38 am »
A nice review of the ATs would be nice.....

Woodsman

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2017, 04:17 pm »
Believe me, I would love to give a review. About a month after I placed the order, work went crazy. I started making a new rack for the components, that is about half way done. That has to get finished, brought downstairs and THEN I can finally hook everything up. It is killing me too knowing a brand new pair of speakers is waiting to be heard. I work, eat, sleep and then repeat.

boniccie

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2017, 04:59 pm »
woodsman,
Make sure you post a picture of your new equipments rack. :D

Woodsman

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2017, 06:08 am »
Yes, I will include the new rack as well.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2017, 02:48 pm »
Beautiful speakers.  Can't wait to see them set up.

dbx

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2017, 02:09 pm »
Those are beautiful.  What drivers do they use?  I take it the Tweeter is RAAL.

From my experience with owning a SS8 and the Exotica 3s, I have come to the conclusion of what my (or another) dream speaker should consist of - note that this is for my tastes - so here goes.

I would love to have the woofers, PR, and tweeters of the SS8 along with the midrange of the Exotica 3s.  This should not be taken that either of these speakers alone are dis-satisfying.  Had I not owned either speaker, I am quite satisfied with either speaker alone - both are winners.  This is what I have learned when it comes to owning numerous speakers over my lifetime.  I have also learned I am a RAAL tweeter ribbon lover - I love the extension that ribbons give which cannot be reproduced by a dome tweeter.

dbx

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2017, 02:26 pm »
I think I answered my own question - it is a RAAL Ribbon Tweeter with an Audio Technology Woofer.

Joe Frances

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2017, 11:51 pm »
I think I answered my own question - it is a RAAL Ribbon Tweeter with an Audio Technology Woofer.

Correct, and the question is does the AT Silk sound exactly the same as the regular Silks?  If so, what do you gain with the loss of bass frequency?  My guess is that there is something of a difference, but you can't know unless you hear them, and you can't hear them until you buy them.  I have been a "fan" without proof for a long time.  I heard the little Stirling Broadcast 3/5As which don't go anywhere near the lows of the Silk, and yet they sounded wonderful, and in a moderately sized room I felt the bass was fine.  It's not frequency response that's the issue, I am told, it's how the speakers actually sound to the listener. 

srb

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2017, 12:10 am »
If so, what do you gain with the loss of bass frequency?

Trade - 4Hz frequency response for + 4dB sensitivity (2.5 X power gain).  I'll take that deal!