ribbon tweeter

elmalloc

ribbon tweeter
« on: 23 Oct 2016, 12:15 am »
Which salk speakers do you own that have the ribbon tweeter and how does it compare to others in that price range?

my room is 20x17x20 ceiling

Thanks,
ELmO

SCompRacer

Re: ribbon tweeter
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2016, 01:12 am »
I have SS8's in a two channel system with acoustic treatments. They reside in a 15' x 18' area that is open to main level which adds 25' x 20' with 14' ceiling throughout. With over 10,000 cubic feet of space, I have to use two subs to prop up the 25-35Hz range for some music that I occasionally play. That is not the speakers fault though. I used Dayton Audio OmniMic V2 to measure the speakers interaction with the room. I adjusted speaker and sub position to get the flattest frequency response possible.

I can't think of a simple answer for you, so here goes my take on it. Speaker preference is highly subjective so best to get your ears on them first, if possible. There is a list of owners that will demo. If you are close to the Salk factory, you can demo a pair there.

Salk's are factory direct and are high quality throughout, with choice of veneers or paint finishes. Upgraded crossover components are optional. Typical retail speakers in the price range of Salk's do not have the same quality of drivers/tweeters and do not offer a wide range of finish choices. IMO for speakers to compare, you have to look at retail speakers twice or more the cost of the Salk's. I've listened to many speakers including B&W, Focal, and have no desire to get rid of my Salk's. My SS8's provide me an expansive detailed soundstage, transparency, off the chart dynamics and slam.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2016, 10:14 am »
Which salk speakers do you own that have the ribbon tweeter and how does it compare to others in that price range?

my room is 20x17x20 ceiling
I have Salk Veracity ST speakers in a roughly similar sized room, but the ceilings are 9 feet instead of 20.  The distance between my main seating and the Salks is about 9-10 feet.

These Salks are almost directly comparable to the much more (3 times more) expensive Joseph Audio Perspectives.  They have the same mid woofers, but the Salk has a better sounding tweeter, and better choices in finishes.

In your room, you might find the distance between the seats and the speakers is more important than the ceiling height.  But you also might find you need more than the minimum in subwoofers to adequately work in that room volume.

You didn't mention you're price range.

MichiganMike

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2016, 01:05 pm »
I have Salk SoundScape 10 speakers in my living room.  The living room opens into a dining room area and then the kitchen/family room area beyond.  The total space is about 40' by 20' with about half of the area having vaulted ceilings up to 20' high.  The SoundScapes driven by my McIntosh MC501 amps are capable of filling the area with music.  The bass is very solid, the highs transparent and the midrange clear and sweet.  The sound integrates to a point that the speakers almost disappear.   I am not aware of another speaker in the price range that would suit my situation and tastes as well.   

My wife wanted speakers that would not detract from her furniture and decor in the living room.  Tiny Bose speakers or in-wall speakers would be her ideal as sound quality is not her priority.  She grudgingly agreed to my purchase of the SoundScape 10's and is now somewhat amused that many of her friends do not recognize these as speakers.  More than one has asked what these were and then requested a demonstration. 

Fortunately no subwoofers are required in my system to augment bass, as these would not be tolerated.  The potential hiding places for subwoofers are already occupied by my two large amps on their stands.  I have a friend with Wilson speakers that dominate his listening room physically and musically, but these would not pass muster with my spouse.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2016, 09:21 am »

My wife wanted
The magical three words that instantly kill the possibility to place the truly desired loudspeaker cabinets in the best possible place in the listening room, which she for unknown reasons keeps referring to as the living room...

Audiophile

« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2016, 03:06 pm »
I have SS8's in a two channel system with acoustic treatments. They reside in a 15' x 18' area that is open to main level which adds 25' x 20' with 14' ceiling throughout. With over 10,000 cubic feet of space, I have to use two subs to prop up the 25-35Hz range for some music that I occasionally play. That is not the speakers fault though. I used Dayton Audio OmniMic V2 to measure the speakers interaction with the room. I adjusted speaker and sub position to get the flattest frequency response possible.

I can't think of a simple answer for you, so here goes my take on it. Speaker preference is highly subjective so best to get your ears on them first, if possible. There is a list of owners that will demo. If you are close to the Salk factory, you can demo a pair there.

Salk's are factory direct and are high quality throughout, with choice of veneers or paint finishes. Upgraded crossover components are optional. Typical retail speakers in the price range of Salk's do not have the same quality of drivers/tweeters and do not offer a wide range of finish choices. IMO for speakers to compare, you have to look at retail speakers twice or more the cost of the Salk's. I've listened to many speakers including B&W, Focal, and have no desire to get rid of my Salk's. My SS8's provide me an expansive detailed soundstage, transparency, off the chart dynamics and slam.

The SS8 is on my short list. Which models from B&W and Focal did you compare the SS8 with?

Thanks