Tweaks for Hirez listening

TheChairGuy

Tweaks for Hirez listening
« on: 13 Jun 2009, 02:38 pm »
John,
Talk to us about your Dakiom experience (maybe start a new thread...hirez tweaks?)

It helps CD, as well.

I think they are, overall, great when used in the right application(s).

I found the rca-type Dakioms to be mostly helpful.....the pigtail-type for speaker outputs not so helpful. 

I have a bottom-of-the-line pair (US$59) and a top-of-the-line pair (US$218) and they both work....the top-of-the-line unit seems a little more 'confident' in what it does.

What does it do?  It's a feedback stabilizer...so it works only for those components that use feedback in their design.  It does not work with players that have tube outputs, or probably have been designed in some way with stable feedback already. 

For me, it made an absolutely, unforgivably bad sounding Sony DVP-S7700 sound respectable (it was modded and used only as a transport, but I had to use for listening while my DAC back then was in for upgrades)

It has greatly improved the Pioneer DV-656a I have and the Cambridge DVD-99 as well (tho less improvement found with the Cambridge...which I can assume to mean that feedback stabilization has been addressed better in it)

It won't give you bigger bass, more impactful dynamics, or improve resolution - better power supplies and hi-rez only can bring that forward.  It just adds this organic, more lifelike rightness to the music that I prefer to have in every instance now.

I started a review of these in 2004, btw, that may be a helpful read: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=7588.0

A good hi-rez player of choice, an isolation transformer, a Herbie's disc mat, a sensible 14ga cord and DVD-A is quite surprisingly enjoyable.  Not quite vinyl standards.....but for less than $600 invested, there is very little for a vinyl front end that is enjoyable (that would be deck, new or used, cartridge, good sub-base, a record cleaning machine or other method of cleaning, etc).

Sorry for the tangent....but the Dakiom's should add to hi-rez enjoyment for others as they have for me :)

John

werd

Re: Tweaks for Hirez listening
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2009, 06:52 pm »
John,
Talk to us about your Dakiom experience (maybe start a new thread...hirez tweaks?)

It helps CD, as well.

I think they are, overall, great when used in the right application(s).

I found the rca-type Dakioms to be mostly helpful.....the pigtail-type for speaker outputs not so helpful. 

I have a bottom-of-the-line pair (US$59) and a top-of-the-line pair (US$218) and they both work....the top-of-the-line unit seems a little more 'confident' in what it does.

What does it do?  It's a feedback stabilizer...so it works only for those components that use feedback in their design.  It does not work with players that have tube outputs, or probably have been designed in some way with stable feedback already. 

For me, it made an absolutely, unforgivably bad sounding Sony DVP-S7700 sound respectable (it was modded and used only as a transport, but I had to use for listening while my DAC back then was in for upgrades)

It has greatly improved the Pioneer DV-656a I have and the Cambridge DVD-99 as well (tho less improvement found with the Cambridge...which I can assume to mean that feedback stabilization has been addressed better in it)

It won't give you bigger bass, more impactful dynamics, or improve resolution - better power supplies and hi-rez only can bring that forward.  It just adds this organic, more lifelike rightness to the music that I prefer to have in every instance now.

I started a review of these in 2004, btw, that may be a helpful read: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=7588.0

A good hi-rez player of choice, an isolation transformer, a Herbie's disc mat, a sensible 14ga cord and DVD-A is quite surprisingly enjoyable.  Not quite vinyl standards.....but for less than $600 invested, there is very little for a vinyl front end that is enjoyable (that would be deck, new or used, cartridge, good sub-base, a record cleaning machine or other method of cleaning, etc).

Sorry for the tangent....but the Dakiom's should add to hi-rez enjoyment for others as they have for me :)

John

Hi John

you didnt like your sony s7700? I use mine as a transport and i find it really nice, perhaps a little bass shy but seems to have alot of finesse. I got mine modded by Steve and Empirical. There is a setting in the player that needs to be set to perform at it's best. Its an on or off setting( and i cant remember what it is) dont have the original remote for it so its not easily accessible for me anymore.

Nvm  i just noticed you were commenting on the RCA outs and not the coax.. Yah i agree the rca's are average for dvd player and nothing special.

TheChairGuy

Re: Tweaks for Hirez listening
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2009, 02:40 am »
Hey werd,

Yeah, mine was also modded by Steven Nugent with all the mods he did on these at the time done (2004 or so :scratch: I think)

The transport worked fine at that.....it was when one used it as a player.  Blech!  Horrendous...until one added the Dakiom's.  Beats me why...but they did indeed work on the Sony.

I eventually sold the Sony and the (fully-Empirical Audio modded) MSB Gold Link III Dac that it went with in pursuit of bliss with vinyl, greater happiness with higher res sources and traded down to a cheaper CD player, then a cheaper universal player to the benefit of my pocketbook and ears :wink:

John