Which high pass filter for Sapphire/Titan combo?

shuteye

Which high pass filter for Sapphire/Titan combo?
« on: 14 Mar 2010, 12:54 pm »
Hi All,   I need some advice.  I'm really enjoying my Sapphire XL/Titan LE combo purchased only a few months ago and am new to seperate sub/monitor systems.  I am using ACI 65Hz SE high pass filters between preamp and amp and these have dialed in well.  The problem is, these are borrowed.  My preamp and amp have fully balanced output/input options which I would like to use if possible.  I could put out a WTB call for ACI XLR filters, which may be a long shot, or I could go with an electronic crossover such as the NHT X-2 (never heard it, just read about it).  If an 85Hz set of high pass are available, how do these compare with the 65Hz?  Sonically is there any difference between ACI's SE and XLR filters?

Another option is a set of Vandersteen 80Hz passive high pass filters currently for sale on Agon.  These are pricey and have batteries soldered in to them that are dated for replacement in 2013.  Unless these were the sweetest high pass filters ever made I'm not too excited about that option.

Thanks for any advice,  Jon

shuteye

Re: Which high pass filter for Sapphire/Titan combo?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2010, 01:39 pm »
I should add that I have also considered doing away with high pass filtration, and then blocking the Sapphires' ports.  Even if I could get the audio to sound natural, I also use my system for occasional movies.  I am concerned that a loud volume explosion or some of the really deep bass that is so in vogue at the theaters could harm the Sapphires' woofer without a filter in place.  My amp is a newer tube amp rated at 120W/channel (AR VS115), so I don't think it will clip severely at movie levels but I truly don't know how I would even hear it during a crash or explosion.  How easily can the scanspeaks be damaged?  Again, any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks! 

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2010, 05:42 pm »
Jon:

You definitely want some sort of high-pass filtering for HT use. Without filtering, those little 5 1/4" drivers are trying to do the subsonic stuff and that can have bad results. The results with 65 vs. 85Hz filters is going to be pretty close. The 85s give just a bit more protection and headroom on bass heavy passages. As to balanced vs. single ended, pretty hard to define the differences as other variables such as cabling are changed as well.

stereocilia

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2010, 02:14 am »
Hi All,   I need some advice.  I'm really enjoying my Sapphire XL/Titan LE combo purchased only a few months ago and am new to seperate sub/monitor systems.  I am using ACI 65Hz SE high pass filters between preamp and amp and these have dialed in well.  The problem is, these are borrowed.  My preamp and amp have fully balanced output/input options which I would like to use if possible.  I could put out a WTB call for ACI XLR filters, which may be a long shot, or I could go with an electronic crossover such as the NHT X-2 (never heard it, just read about it).  If an 85Hz set of high pass are available, how do these compare with the 65Hz?  Sonically is there any difference between ACI's SE and XLR filters?

Another option is a set of Vandersteen 80Hz passive high pass filters currently for sale on Agon.  These are pricey and have batteries soldered in to them that are dated for replacement in 2013.  Unless these were the sweetest high pass filters ever made I'm not too excited about that option.

Thanks for any advice,  Jon

After going unfiltered for awhile, there were a few bass-heavy tracks that could bottom out the woofers in my Sapphire XLs so I recently put my ACI 65 Hz filters back in.  Another option is to try one of these FMOD filters: http://www.hlabs.com/technical/crossovers/  I don't have them myself but they look like they might do the job.

I think most home theater preamps have some sort of high-pass option, but I have no experience with that.

oris98

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2010, 08:34 pm »
My understanding is that when you setup your HT receiver, you need to define the speaker system which you are planning to use the receiver with..  This allows you to define all or part of the speakers sytem are full range or you can apply hi pass filter to cut off LF from to the main or satellite speakers say 80hz and pass LF to the sub.  If you only concern the HT LF will damage your main, then any receiver that was out in the market in the past few years already have the hi pass filter ready.   However, for 2 channel music , it is where the hi pass filter shines !    :D

Joe_K

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2010, 12:54 am »
IIRC Mikes' filters are 6db/ and the Fmods are 12db/  May be better to stay with Mikes' if possible!
Joe

shuteye

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2010, 10:10 pm »
Just got back to town (Fresno) after a long weekend on California's central coast, temps in the 70's, awesome!

Thanks for the heads up on running the Sapphire's unfiltered, Mike.  Fortunately, I have the option of keeping the borrowed 65Hz in place until I find another pair.  I won't risk it unfiltered.  It sounds like 85Hz would be preferable.  The audio sound we are getting is beautiful - detailed and smooth, that's what I really care about.  Movies are just occasional entertainment.

Thanks to all you for your input also.  I'm on the hunt now for an XLR set of ACI highpass filters, 85 or 65Hz.  If anyone has a set, I'll fork out $100.00 if they are in good condition.  If anyone has used any other option with good results, I am all ears (eyes?).  I won't be setting up a HT receiver, as I am content to view movies run through my two channel system, so filtering in that manner is not an option.