Hello from Edmonton, Alberta

richal257

Hello from Edmonton, Alberta
« on: 21 Apr 2018, 09:49 pm »
Greetings. I recently purchased a new integrated amp and looking for speaker info/suggestions.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from Edmonton, Alberta
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2018, 09:52 pm »
Welcome aboard Rich :thumb:
If small room try a single full range driver no xover.

dspringham

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2018, 10:30 pm »
Hey Edmonton,

Further to what FullRangeMan posted, you might want to check these out. As the previous owner (I sold to the current seller) I can certainly vouch for these if you want to go down that path.

You will need to provide more specific information about your room, current amplifier, musical tastes, listening levels etc. We'll all shootin' in the dark here.

Dave

dspringham

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2018, 10:42 pm »
I was born and raised in Edmonton, lived there for almost 35 years before moving to BC. 

Your choice of speakers will depend on a number of things, least of all impulse.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2018, 10:43 pm »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2018, 10:25 am »
Welcome!

Sorry to say, but you should always start system building with speakers that match your tastes and room.  An integrated amp only serves your sources and speakers. 

So please specify your room size, shape, and the materials used to build/cover it (a sketch/images would help).  Is it a shared space or private?  Is it dedicated to music, music plus A/V functions, or open to other functions (dining/food prep)?  Where would/could the speakers and listening position be set up for the best system performance?  IMO most sadly over buy gear for the given room.

Next what are your musical and audio tastes?  What are your favorite musical genres?  What aspects of sound reproduction do you most value (deep bass, detail, focused imaging, clear highs, etc.)?  To determine those values requires lots of fairly serious auditioning (use a variety of music you like, privately listen in a similar space to what you have, take your time and take notes (forces you to really listen and relieves you of trying to recall the sound of each speaker), and limit yourself to auditioning no more than 3 or 4 speakers per day to avoid listener fatigue.

Example: as an owner of single driver speakers I know they excel at 'little girl with an acoustic guitar' music in a smaller room, but tend to struggle in large spaces with loud passages, deep bass, or big ensembles.  OTOH dipole speakers throw out a big less defined soundstage.  Bottom line, there is no perfect speaker, so you're left with figuring out what fits your audio tastes best.

Take care.   :)

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2018, 01:07 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC richal257   :thumb:

Dimfer

« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2018, 02:39 pm »
Viva #97

JakeJ

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2018, 06:36 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, richal257.

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2018, 06:59 pm »
As usual, JLM puts it very well. We need a lot more specificity to be able to provide helpful responses to the original question. Welcome to the sweet spot though.