Porcupine Tree...Great Stuff!

JDoyle

Re: Porcupine Tree...Great Stuff!
« Reply #20 on: 1 Nov 2016, 12:50 am »
I came to the PT/SW party late.  In the past, The local newspaper rock critic (Jeff Miers, Bflo News) often raved about PT, but I never made the effort to check them out. Then when SW released the Raven, he was blown away, so I decided to see if I agreed.  I (a prog fan before it was called prog) was equally impressed.  When SW released "Hand cannot erase", I didn't think it could come close and was ready to be disappointed. Boy, was I wrong!!  :roll: I now think it's actually better! :D

I'm so looking forward to going backwards and discovering the PT catalog :thumb:

JD

Wind Chaser

« Reply #21 on: 4 Dec 2016, 04:59 am »
HOLY SHIT - my first exposure to the band. I'm only 30 minutes or so into this...

These guys are incredible and the song writing is off the charts.

Thank you for starting this thread!

qdrone

« Reply #22 on: 14 Dec 2016, 11:47 pm »
Octane Twisted is different than their earlier works. If you like their harder sound then get Deadwing and The Incident. I prefer their earlier catalog starting with Up the Down Staircase to Deadwing. They are a phenomenal band and Wilson has been re mixing prog and other albums for artists with astounding results. The consensus is he has the midas touch. Benefit by Tull and In the Land of Grey and Pink  by Caravan were a few he's done with amazing results. Benefit by Tull sounds so clear and crisp. I had hoped he would do Stand Up but they don't know where the master is. I also believe he re mixed Aqualung which recieved accolades from the Audiophile community.

rbbert

« Reply #23 on: 15 Dec 2016, 01:21 am »
Steven Wilson's remix and 5.1 of Stand Up came out in November

https://www.amazon.com/Stand-Up-Elevated-2CD-DVD/dp/B01L68Q53K/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1481764925&sr=1-1&keywords=jethro+tull+stand+up+elevated+edition

Also Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play.  Songs from The Wood is scheduled for 2017

milford3

« Reply #24 on: 15 Dec 2016, 01:54 am »
HOLY SHIT - my first exposure to the band. I'm only 30 minutes or so into this...

These guys are incredible and the song writing is off the charts.

Thank you for starting this thread!

This band is very good.  Can't help to think that Pink Floyd has an influence on them.  A good thing indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3lsqUqGTzM

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 15 Dec 2016, 02:04 am »
Octane Twisted is different than their earlier works. If you like their harder sound then get Deadwing and The Incident. I prefer their earlier catalog starting with Up the Down Staircase to Deadwing. They are a phenomenal band and Wilson has been re mixing prog and other albums for artists with astounding results. The consensus is he has the midas touch. Benefit by Tull and In the Land of Grey and Pink  by Caravan were a few he's done with amazing results. Benefit by Tull sounds so clear and crisp. I had hoped he would do Stand Up but they don't know where the master is. I also believe he re mixed Aqualung which recieved accolades from the Audiophile community.

In addition to Octane Twisted, I picked up Lightbulb Sun, Fear of a Blank Planet and In Absentania. Haven't listened to those yet, but I do plan on picking up the rest of the catalogue.

I also just discovered Closer to the Edge by Yes. Wow, I can't believe how I overlooked that one. I bought Fragile and Tormato as a kid, but didn't think too much of those two efforts, so I never journeyed on any further with them.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #26 on: 15 Dec 2016, 02:11 am »
Wilson has been re mixing prog and other albums for artists with astounding results.

Yeah, apparently he had a hand in Welcome to my DNA by Blackfield, which is okay. I was told if I like SW & PT to try Explosions in the Sky, so I picked up Take One, Take One, Take One - which is also very good.

qdrone

« Reply #27 on: 15 Dec 2016, 12:12 pm »
Blackfield is Steven Wilson's other band,I have three of their recordings. You should pick up anything you can find from a band from Poland called RIVERSIDE,heavy Porcupine Tree influence and a band that is starting to find its own signature sound.

krustykat

« Reply #28 on: 15 Dec 2016, 02:34 pm »
If you are into classic progressive rock, check out "Warrior on the Edge of Time (expanded edition)" by Hawkwind.  This was remastered by Steven Wilson several years ago and includes Hi Rez and 5.1 versions of the album.  Good stuff.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #29 on: 15 Dec 2016, 03:44 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations, I appreciate it. Like Yes, I may have to take a second look at King Crimson and others that may have been prematurely dismissed in my youth.

qdrone

« Reply #30 on: 15 Dec 2016, 05:21 pm »
Funny you should mention King Crimson,Wilson re mixed the entire  catalog. They sound excellent. As far as Riverside by them used on Discogs or Amazon and because everything they have done is really superb get the cheapest mint copies first.

qdrone

« Reply #31 on: 15 Dec 2016, 05:23 pm »
Steven Wilson's remix and 5.1 of Stand Up came out in November

https://www.amazon.com/Stand-Up-Elevated-2CD-DVD/dp/B01L68Q53K/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1481764925&sr=1-1&keywords=jethro+tull+stand+up+elevated+edition

Also Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play.  Songs from The Wood is scheduled for 2017
Thank you for the heads up on Stand Up. Bought it last night.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #32 on: 18 Dec 2016, 04:04 am »
What an awesome band! Can't believe they aren't more widely known

Just heard Fear of a Blank Planet for the first time... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: