Chord Hugo into Omega's

bjnz

Chord Hugo into Omega's
« on: 4 Mar 2015, 01:53 am »
What are peoples thoughts or experiences please of the Chord Hugo and its ability to drive speakers directly such as Omega XRS 6 from its RCA's. Hugo's designer Rob Watts has been driving Axjet horns successfully, and other Hugo owners driving 86db Harbeths at moderate volumes. The Chord only has just under 1 watt into 8 ohms.

RDavidson

Re: Chord Hugo into Omega's
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2015, 04:04 am »
Never thought of using a headphone amp (in a small DAC) to drive full size speakers before. Something tells me it'd do it, but would ultimately lack control. I don't think the Hugo likely has a gutsy enough amp in it to deal well with the speakers' resistance and impedance variance. Not knocking the Hugo, but I doubt the folks at Chord intended the Hugo to be used with anything more than headphones (probably not including ESL headphones). I may be completely wrong. These are just my thoughts. You'd probably get the best answers directly from Chord and/or Omega.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2015, 08:02 pm »
The issue isn't just wpc, you have to take into account current as well to get good dynamics.  I have a hard time with less than 1 wpc driving a speaker rated at 86dB  such as the Harbeths and it sounding good or being able to play at any reasonable level of loudness.

It's interesting that the Axjet's are 16ohm and 95db sensitivity.  Even so, the manufacturer recommends a minimum of 20wpc.  Can any one spare $66K so I can buy a pair?

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2015, 08:46 pm »
I can't find the link right now, but there was some discussion with the LH Labs folks about driving speakers off of the 1W version of their Geek Out headphone amplifier. Apparently it did a pretty good job with high sensitivity speakers, though I don't think anyone kept that setup for long.

edn4x4

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2015, 10:14 pm »

Here is the link to Rob Watts comments on going direct:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/2520#post_10496499

Larry - I think I will try this out tonight with my Omega Super 3i

The problem I see is getting up every time I want to change the volume...

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2015, 11:32 pm »
Eric, I have no problems with the Hugo driving 95dB speakers but I am skeptical that the Hugo can do justice to a speaker like a B&W 805 rated at 88dB which is still not that difficult load to drive.  I just can't believe that you would get good dynamics at reasonably moderate sound levels.  I guess it is all relative on what you consider good dynamics and sound.  B&W recommends a minimum of 50wpc.  And I realize that even with my Magnepans I am using less than 10wpc but during dynamic bass heavy passages my Pass amp delivers a river of current and the sound just explodes from the speaker.

Eric, check your email about the DAC shoot out.

Larry

edn4x4

« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2015, 01:21 am »
Larry - I got your point and I understand what you are saying on the sensitivity of the speakers.  You guys just gave me an idea to try out something I haven't yet.  Problem is with all my adapters and gender benders - I don't have a banana to RCA if there is such a thing...

I also saw the email - I need to check with the boss. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2015, 12:28 pm »
Impedance matching and damping factors might be issues to consider.

Years ago I was running 90 dB/w/m, 8 ohm, 30-20,000 Hz AlNiCo single driver speakers in a 12 ft x 19 ft x 8 ft room with a 7 wpc T-amp.  Results were perfectly acceptable, but moving up to 40 watt mono-blocks turned the speakers from polite dinner guests into NFL linebackers in tuxedos capable of hard hitting and greater control (improved imaging/detail).  Current Omega offerings would have roughly the same efficiency to dB of gain ratio (reaching about 96 dB at one meter).  Of course realize that 96 dB is really loud (continuous) but symphonic peaks are 105 dB and rock concerts average 110 dB, so these are best suited for late night/small ensembles.

Most Omega speakers, with F3 around 50 Hz, should benefit from low damping factor (typical of tube amps) to boost bass output.  On my same speakers I auditioned a 6 wpc Decware SE34I (version 1).  More powerful than the T-amp and can you say palpable?  But with those speakers it made lots of flabby bass.

BTW Chord is supposed to be releasing two home versions of the Hugo in April, a cheaper one (2Qute - $1800, no volume control) and a more serious one (Hugo TT - $4800).  TedB, Audio Circle member, is supposed to be working on a review for Computer Audiophile.

bjnz

« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2015, 08:58 pm »
Thank-you everyone for your replies. Until the Hugo is actually tried in this configuration, we can only speculate. I suspect it will sound gorgeous, but may have the limitation of control at higher spl's. I have Alinco XRS 6's and sub with a Perreaux Audiant 80i using the built in
sabre dac. The mosfet sound is smooth and 3d. Knowing how the Omega's respond to upstream improvements I am in the market for a dac.  In the mean time I will wait till the hugo is tried in this configuration. 

HenryK

« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2015, 12:31 am »
Hi,

I think iFi MicroiDSD USBDAC has Max. 4000mw output at 16 ohms in Turbo Mode.

It also has inbuilt battery, handy in blackout, if it will run a HE speaker.