AVA Transcendence 9 or Vacuum Tube Audio SP14?

mike_p

• You Never Blow Your Trip Forever
AVA Transcendence 9 or Vacuum Tube Audio SP14?
« on: 19 Dec 2014, 06:21 pm »
Has anyone heard both?  Or either?  The winner will be driving an AVA Synergy 450 SS amp to a pair of MMGs.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: AVA Transcendence 9 or Vacuum Tube Audio SP14?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2014, 11:21 pm »
PM sent

The T-9 is a nice sounding preamp and would pair nicely with the Synergy and MMG's.  I have not heard the SP-14.  If you can swing it, go for the AVA CF preamp.  I own 2 sets of Maggies, the 1.6's and MMG's.

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2014, 09:13 am »
I'm with IGF, I think you'll get the best system synergy going with an AVA preamp.  Having taken a quick peek at the AVA website I also think that if you swing a CF over the T-9 it will be a performance increase and keep you from upgrading sooner than need be.  Can you try out the SP-14?  One possibility would be if you can try the SP-14 in your system then purchase the AVA preamp of your choice, test them side by side and return the lesser unit.

The SP-14 looks to be no slouch but I haven't read reviews on either unit, let alone have any experience with either brand.
Here's some info on the SP-14.  http://www.arcdb.ws/SP14/SP14.html

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2014, 09:00 pm »
I looked at some photos of the SP-14 and notice, oh horrors, that it has a captive power cord!!  I am talking about an ARC SP-14 of course.

Well that certainly disqualifies it from serious consideration as a true high fidelity product doesn't it?

I remember when we did not have IEC power sockets and removable power cords how many people here on AC told us that this was disqualifying.

So, your only remaining valid choice is the Transcendence Nine preamplifier.

:)

Merry Christmas

Frank

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2014, 11:33 pm »
Now, Frank. You don't want to talk him out of the idea of swinging for a CF preamp, do you? You gotta keep that window open.  :wink: He might go for it...

DustyC

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2014, 02:58 am »
I had an SP-14 for about 6 months. Loved the switching flexibility and variable gain. Wasn't moved much by the sound. Line stage is solid state, phono stage has one tube. Maybe it was the circuit layout but mine had a curious tendency to "bleed" one source to another. Playing a CD and switching to the tuner input, I could hear the CD signal at a low level. Phono input could take my ACE Benz moving coil in straight thru (.03mv).
ARC has good resale value. I sold it for $100 more than what I paid for it.  :| 

PSB Guy

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2014, 02:01 pm »
I'm confused. The OP is asking about the VTA SP-14, not the ARC SP-14, right? It is kind of funny how the ARC has a captive power cord, though, with all the grief Frank has gotten for that over the years...

Cornelis

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2014, 02:38 pm »
Not to be confused with the Tubes4Hifi SP-14, which might be another good match.

JakeJ

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2014, 06:23 pm »
Boy, was I out to lunch or what?  Yes, the OP is asking about the VTA SP-14 and not the Audio Research SP-14.

Here is the link for the correct SP-14:
http://www.tubes4hifi.com/pre11.htm#SP14

Sorry, my bad.

mike_p

• You Never Blow Your Trip Forever
« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2014, 09:22 pm »
Hey there Circular folks,  :D

I'm going to shelve this question for a while (probably for about a year).

I just got a pretty good deal from a retiring Quicksilver dealer on a new Quicksilver Line Preamp w/Telefunken tubes for $675 (the prior model - NOS stuff). Couldn't pass it up.

I'll come back for more of Frank's great artisanal audio later.

Best wishes to all: Happy Hannukah, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Mike