Raspberry Pi3 and iFi low noise power module

HAL

Raspberry Pi3 and iFi low noise power module
« on: 8 Jun 2016, 05:46 pm »
Looked at the iFi power modules and they have one that does 5VDC@2.5Amps that will run a RPi3.  It also comes with the micro USB power connector.

Have tried Moode Audio with the RPi3 and it works, but has some volume control problems with the Meridian Explorer2.  I believe that has been solved with the latest 2.6 release, so going to give it a try.

Since the Amanero asynchronous USB to I2S Bus converter is here from another DAC project, bought one of the AK4490EQ DAC board from Ebay for $28 shipped.  I already have the 25.2VAC CT E-I core transformer and dual 9VAC Toroidal transformers, so just connected them up.

Working on the cable harness for the I2S Bus and DSD interfaces to see what it can do.  Supports up to DXD and DSD256 rates for incoming data.  Board has RCA outputs to run my iFi iCan headphone amp.  Should be an interesting setup for portable use.

In this case the entire music server/HiRez DAC setup is about $250. 

Odal3

Re: Raspberry Pi3 and iFi low noise power module
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2016, 03:41 am »
Hi Hal,

Curious to hear how you like the iFi ipower with the rpi and/or DACs. How does it compare to a linear supply?

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2016, 12:05 pm »
I use the iFi between my MS-2 and Meitner DAC in my main system. Made a nice difference in the blackness of the background and sharpening the focus. The iFi won't work with DACs that have the power on the internal USB chip like the Teac UD-501 I use with an MS-3 in a secondary system.

Odal3

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2016, 12:25 pm »
Thanks Phil,
Are you referring to the ifi iusb?

I'm looking at getting a 5V ifi ipower to power a raspberry pi with a mamboberry dac (connected via i2s). In other words, no USB connections. However, it looks like the power circuits in the iusb and the ipower are similar (less the USB), but can't tell for sure.
http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/

HAL

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2016, 12:27 pm »
Agree with Phil A's observations on the iFi  iUSB and iPower module and the DAC's I have tried it with.  Even the RPi3 version of the music server does well.

I have not tried it compared to a linear power supply.  I built one, but not had time to try it. 

To me, anything is better than the stock SMPS that they offer for the RPi3 for lower noise with a USB DAC.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2016, 01:46 pm »
Yes the USB. In the old days before I graduated to file playback (with initial help from HAL), I used an HDMI audio de-embedder to take 24/88.2 from an SACD in an Oppo player to a DAC, I replaced the 5V wall wart with a linear supply. I also had a Sqeezrbox Touch and the power supplies were interchangeable. Probably have a couple laying around. Channel Islands used to make one. I also had a modded Jerome power supply. I had to buy two Jeromes (I think the cost with shipping for both was around $30). I cut off the 5 pin DIN plug on the other one and put a proper plug on it and gave it to friend. I also considered assembling my own at one point from parts (from memory Sola makes a Hevi-Duty supply) where you can buy the supply (which comes with screw terminals for wiring) and case from places like Newark.com (and I've seen them cheaper on eBay). Using one of those, you can get by for less than $100 and the only major thing to be done is soldering the plug on one end.

HAL

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2017, 03:50 am »
Been experimenting with the RPi3 with Raspbian as a room measurement system with the dspMusikLCD.   Now that the 24bit/192KHz ADC is available the via USB port a simple method to use it and the HiRez DAC's for in-room response is possible.   

Have the RPi3 7" touch screen display running and trying a few things to see what works well.  The stock 5V/2.5A PS is having problems with the load of the system, so going back to my 5V/7A linear power supply. 

HAL

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2018, 03:05 am »
Came up with a hybrid method of powering the RPi3 running Raspbian and 7" display.  I use the Ifi iPower to run the RPi3 and the stock RPi3 power supply for the display and no more low voltage problems. 

Software for the measurements is now being tested with the RPi3 and dspMusikLCD starting 21 Jan.  This should be interesting.