soundscapes - a single thread on sonics from ss owners

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
having scanned through pages of posts looking for Soundscape reviews it would be helpful in addition to each new owner's arrival/impression thread to have a single evolving thread specifically from Soundscape users on the sonic qualities  of these speakers.

In particular - it would be nice to hear from those who upgraded from other Salk speakers

what have the Soundscapes meant to you?

jermmd

Re: soundscapes - a single thread on sonics from ss owners
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2011, 01:07 pm »
I'd like to read about a comparison between HT3's and Soundscapes from someone who has lived with both. I love my HT3's and have trouble imagining a significant improvement from the SS's.

Joe M.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2011, 01:31 pm »
I'd like to read about a comparison between HT3's and Soundscapes from someone who has lived with both. I love my HT3's and have trouble imagining a significant improvement from the SS's.

Joe M.

Joe,

The HT3's are a great speaker, but you know that there is better...in fact, you have heard better.   :eyebrows:

I haven't heard the Soundscapes, but based on the design and all the comments I have read, I am very confident that it would best the HT3's.  I think the right question to ask is:  "What would it cost to get a speaker that has a significant performance improvement over the HT3's and do I think it is worth it?"

I asked this question years ago and came up with my answer and have never looked back.

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2011, 01:36 pm »

Joe M.

The SS experience is quite different.  Extremely smooth and deceiving.  I always felt the HT3 was so power hungry that it was a black hole of sorts.  The SSes don't seem to act like never-ending power-suckers.  While they have all the dynamics you will need, they are so darn smooth at it that you become quite relaxed in the whole experience.  And the bass is immense and all-encompassing.  Way beyond what the HT3 does.  So yeah, a good idea to hear from SS owners in one thread.  I am on a mission to build a system capable of handling them and then hopefully be able to order them some time this year.  Fingers crossed. :smoke:

fsimms

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2011, 05:48 pm »
I was surprised at how well my old speakers compared to the SoundScapes.   The HT1’s can compete with all but a few of the more expensive speakers out there.  Even so, the new SS10’s are at least two levels better than all the Salk HT models.  The SoundScape’s holographic imaging and more natural and transparent presentation in the bass, midrange and treble makes them at least a level better.  The open baffle further improves the SoundScapes by another level, so how can the HT’s compete?  The HT’s are very clear and clean.  With close miked songs the image is built on a mixing board.  There is no real natural soundstage to portray.  The HT models image well and are up to the simpler task of just placing musicians in space.  The intimate sound of the voice with the HT’s is very compelling even when compared with a natural presentation.   The HT’s capture the excitement of the performance.  All of these factors allow both speakers to compete toe to toe on most typical songs.  They usually sound more similar than different.  Both sound terrific with music.  They are a real blessing to listen to.  Different songs will favor one speaker over the other.  The more the song includes ambiance the more the SoundScapes will dominate.

The battle changes with bigger ensembles.  With larger ensembles or real soundstages, the SoundScapes easily win.  The ability to showcase very realistic or massive soundstage allows the SoundScapes to shine.  With TV and movies, which also have a natural soundstage, the SoundScapes find the HT’s easy prey.  It is not even close.

I bought a calypso tube preamp.  The combination of the tubes and the SoundScapes touches the soul.  A friend came over Friday at lunch and we watched a Supernatural episode.  The classic song “Spirit in the Sky” came on as Dean was walking back to his car.  He and I were in awe that it sounded so good.  My friend said that he heard that song many times but never like that!  I told him it was the combo of the SoundScapes and the tubed preamp.   He said I should tell Jim about it. 

Another friend came over a couple of weeks ago and I played a Peter Paul and Mary LP for him.   He said that only once before had music touched his heart the way it did.  That other time was after a meditaion retreat when he heard live music.

I could go on forever but I had better stop.

Bob

Edit: I corrected the title of the song.
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2011, 11:19 pm by fsimms »

karl d

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2011, 07:38 pm »
fsimms, have you heard any of the other salk models with the RAAL tweeter besides SS?  I'm sure most of what you say still holds, I wonder if holographic presentation and transparency is closer to SS.

Never heard salk speakers myself, but ordered some HT1's so this will change soon.

MichiganMike

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2011, 02:19 pm »
fsimms, have you heard any of the other salk models with the RAAL tweeter besides SS?  I'm sure most of what you say still holds, I wonder if holographic presentation and transparency is closer to SS.

I am not fsimms but have listened to a variety of Salk speakers.  I recently ordered the SoundScape speakers, so you know my bias. 

In my opinion, the use of the RAAL tweeter and common philosophy in tuning of the crossover network delivers similarity in transparency and imaging between the SS and certain other Salk speakers.  Even my SongTower with the dome tweeter exhibits these qualities better than many competing speakers, although not to the extent of the Salk speakers with the RAAL tweeter.  However, IMHO the reduced diffraction area around the drivers in the tweeter/midrange module in the SS together with unique midrange driver and openable back on the midrange chamber takes the SS to a different level in recreation of the soundstage relative to other Salk speakers with the RAAL tweeter.

fsimms

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2011, 02:44 pm »

I haven’t heard any other speakers with the RAAL.  Jim would be the best person to ask.  I think the RAAL’s main point is the smoothness of the upper end and a broad flat dispersion.

Never heard salk speakers myself, but ordered some HT1's so this will change soon.

You will be in for a treat!  I haven’t heard the HT1’s with the RAAL but I am sure it will be a knockout!

Bob

fsimms

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2011, 05:51 pm »

My friend listening to the Peter Paul and Mary album.  Note the album cover on his chest.  That is his "sweet spot".  It is a good thing that the SoundScapes have great dispersion!  :lol:

Bob