Considering a new amp, pre-amp and subwoofer for Songtower RT/center/surrounds

sfox7076

So I have had my SongTowers/SongCenter/SongSurrounds for a few months. I look forward to coming home and listening to them every night, though it is later and later these days (work is insane). I drive them with an Outlaw Audio 770 Amplifier and an Outlaw 990 Pre-Amp (actually the first unit they sold as it was from the show they did in NY where they introduced it). I use this setup about 50/50 Music/HT. The sources are a Tivo Series 3, an Oppo 971 (to be replaced the second Oppo releases a Blu Ray Player), an Arcam CD73t, and a Sony Elite 400 disc changer/SACD player for non-critical listening. The only other component worth mentioning is my a HSU VTF-2 subwoofer.

I am considering an upgrade of my subwoofer, my pre-amp and my amp. First, anyone have any comments on the Song series Sub? I have considered Rythmik and some of the other subs, but the wife factor really comes in to play here.  She really dislikes the look of the HSU.  She also hates its size  Not sure there is a good alternative, but she seems to want there to be...  I have looked for comments on the SongSub, but have not had much luck in finding any info. Not sure what my price range is now, but definitely around $2000 or less.

Next is my amp/pre-amp potential replacements.  Any suggestions on what amp pairs well when I plan to use it for playing HT and music?  I don't dislike Outlaw and will likely keep it.  But, you never know.  As for pre-amps, I am totally in the dark and see this as more of a priority to replace as the Outlaw 990 does not have the decoding capability for blu ray that is required.  Though I guess I may get the new Oppo which will likely decode these formats and output them over analog.  Sigh, so much to consider.  The new Outlaw preamp that is coming out (who knows when) does all the decoding I want and will run about $1300.  It's cheap, but wonder what else other people will recommend/use.  I want it to do HT, decode the litany of audio formats, but also let me pass the Arcam without processing the sound and need it to reproduce music as well.  Price range on these is around $2000 each, or $4000 for one if I keep the amp or the pre-amp.

Shawn

NYSportz

As far as subs go, the SongSub might be a good option, but there are no reviews or user feedback that I have seen.  Jim recently posted a picture of his SongSub and it is quite a looker, though.  Have you checked out the HSU ULS-15?  It's smaller and nicer looking (and more expensive) than their other subs and is said to have great sound quality.

For a pre-amp, I'd check out the Emotiva UMC-1.  It will be $699 and will decode all the formats and it has room EQ (though this is kind of an unknown).  It has a great looking GUI, too, which you can see screenshots of on Emotiva's forum.  Like the Outlaw 997, though, it's been a long time coming and still hasn't made it to market.  My guess is the UMC-1 will beat the 997 to market, but we'll see.

Alternatively, the Marantz AV8003, Integra DHC-9.9/Onkyo Pro PR-SC886, and NAD T-175/T-175HD have been pretty well received.  I'd check the threads at AVS Forum for more info on those.

Justin