HT3a page posted

jsalk

HT3a page posted
« on: 4 Sep 2005, 12:27 am »
For those interested, I posted a page for the new Veracity HT3a's.  You can veiw it here.

- Jim

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
HT3a page posted
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2005, 12:42 pm »
Like the new site design Jim.

I look forward to meeting you in person and hearing the active setup out in Denver.

George

jsalk

HT3a page posted
« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2005, 02:00 pm »
George -

Quote from: zybar
Like the new site design Jim.

I look forward to meeting you in person and hearing the active setup out in Denver.

George

Thanks.

So you're headed to Denver.  Great.  I'm looking forward to meeting you in person and sharing a few tunes on the HT3a's.  Make sure to bring your best workout music.

- Jim

WG

HT3a page posted
« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2005, 07:16 pm »
Jim,

I'm surprised that 200 or 300 watts per driver would be recommended on a fully active design, especially the tweeter.  Several years ago I had purchased Newform ribbon hybrid and contemplated an active crossover.  The designer recommended consideration of a resistor prior to the ribbon as protection, especially on start-up.  Do you recommend such and would you leave the DEQX on all the time or make sure it is powered on sequentially before the amps?

Regards,
Will

jsalk

HT3a page posted
« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2005, 08:07 pm »
Will -

Quote from: WG
Jim,

I'm surprised that 200 or 300 watts per driver would be recommended on a fully active design, especially the tweeter.  Several years ago I had purchased Newform ribbon hybrid and contemplated an active crossover.  The designer recommended consideration of a resistor prior to the ribbon as protection, especially on start-up.  Do you recommend such and would you leave the DEQX on all the time or make sure it is powered on sequentially before the amps?

Regards,
Will

Well, you are certainly on the right track here.  The tweeter needs nowhere near this amount of power and will never use it.  The midrange probably not either.  But if you are a glutton for punishment, you can drive a 200 watt amp into clipping on the woofer circuit (I've done it, but would never play anything at those volumes for longer than necessary).

But these are the options for this particular line of 6-channel amps.  I do not know of any comparable amps with equal gain that have different power levels per amp as an option in a 6-channel format.  Given equal gain, you could always use three stereo amps from the same manufacturer - say 300, 150 and 50-watts respectively.

But the DEQX unit will not drive the tweeter (or midrange) at anwhere near the power levels of the woofer.  So it is really not an issue with good amps.

The ATI's have a "soft-on" feature that is very effective.  So I would power up the DEQX and then the amp.  You can also use a cap to protect the tweeter if you don't feel confident (I don't, but you could).

Keep in mind that the tweeter power level is much lower than the others.  Chances are you would blow the other drivers first.  But the nice thing is, if you do blow the tweeter (I never have, but I suppose it is possible), you can just install a new ribbon element ($10) and you're back in business.  It is the only moving part in the tweeter and is field replacable.

- Jim

ekovalsky

HT3a page posted
« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2005, 09:11 pm »
The active setup offers interesting possibilities in amp-matching... for instance a SET amp on the tweeters, a medium power push-pull tube amp or hybrid amp on the midrange, and a powerful solid state amp on the woofer.  

The different sensitivities of these amps can work to an advantage, since a low gain tube amp can be coupled with the high sensitivity tweeter.  Lower gain amps can be used with the midrange and woofer.  With the passive design I assume the tweeter is padded down significantly (8-10dB or so) to level match the other drivers.

With passive crossovers this mixed-amp approach typically isn't successful because there is so much overlap of driver responses, and different amps will interact different with the crossover elements.  With a DEQX, TacT, etc this is not an issue -- steep slopes can essentially eliminate overlap and the correction can compensate for varying sensitivities and response characteristics

That said, easiest set up will probably be with six identical channels.

WG

HT3a page posted
« Reply #6 on: 4 Sep 2005, 09:15 pm »
Jim,

Thanks for the clarification and oh so gentle correction of cap for resistor.

Regards,
Will

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
HT3a page posted
« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2005, 03:39 am »
jsalk :
    Make sure to bring your best workout music.
    [/list:u]
      Music to "my" ear's.... :rock: [/list:u]
        Good luck with the new system !!! :) [/list:u]