Is anyone using a sub with their HT3's?

jermmd

« on: 31 Aug 2005, 01:48 pm »
I'm going to use my very excellent ACI Maestro sub with my new HT3's when they arrive.  This is for both 2-channel and movies. I think George is only using his sub for movies but I think it could help music as well.  Anyone else using a sub with your HT3's? What settings?

By the way, I can't wait for the new speakers to be finished.

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2005, 02:01 pm »
HT - Yes

2 channel - sometimes.

When they are on for 2 channel it is at 35hz, and the HT3's are run full range and the subs brought in beneath them.

For both 2 channel and HT (for me), a sub is not needed EXCEPT for the visceral feel of deep bass.  It is not needed for what I hear...it is needed for what I want to feel.

You might want to experiment with your sub to see if you really do want it for 2 channel.  Some of that may depend on your 2 channel amp as well though.

I do have a room suckout at 25hz and a mode at 20hz, so this impacts my listening expierence.  I suspect room modes will influence wether you end up using the subs for 2 channel or not.

For HT I think you will want the sub.

Bingenito

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2005, 02:28 pm »
Based on what I am hearing with my HT3s I would not bother with a sub for 2-channel. The bass is as close to perfect as I could hope for.

If I would going to use a sub the room would have to be much larger than 24x14x8 otherwise there is no need IMO. I have yet to hear a sub with bass this clean and tight. In room the bass is in the low 20's verified with test tones.

For home theater you might want a sub if the room is very large but again this would be personal preference. If I had HT gear and a large room I would probably use multiple 15"-18" subs in an IB. Other then that I am not sure that any sub would be more effective or accurate below 25Hz. Not enough to spend the money or take up the space.

In closing:
Music- don't screw up a good thing
Movies- Want boom add a monster sub or 2.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Is anyone using a sub with their HT3's?
« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2005, 02:45 pm »
Quote from: jermmd
I'm going to use my very excellent ACI Maestro sub with my new HT3's when they arrive.  This is for both 2-channel and movies. I think George is only using his sub for movies but I think it could help music as well.  Anyone else using a sub with your HT3's? What settings?

By the way, I can't wait for the new speakers to be finished.

I sold my subs.

While I had them, they never matched well with the HT3's for 2 channel.  The subs sounded slow and I couldn't get them to blend seemlessly.  They also had such a different sound that I didn't feel any benefit in using them for 2 channel.

For two channel I don't feel the need and the measurements I have taken with the TacT preamp show that things aren't rolling off until it gets into the 20's.   :thumb:

As already pointed out, the bass is fantastic with just the speakers.

I do think sub(s) would be good for HT since the 10" woofers can only move so much air by themselves.

Jim will be building me a pair of subs around the TC Sounds 15" driver that will be flat to 14Hz when I give him the go ahead.  

Overkill?  Absolutely!!

I will try them for two channel, but only because I am curious...not wanting.

George

Marbles

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2005, 03:12 pm »
I should note that my SVS Ultra subs use a 12" TC Sounds driver that has a similar sonic signature to the Salk's 10" woofers.  If not for that, the sometimes used on 2 channel would turn into a never used on 2 channel....

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2005, 05:22 pm »
Joe,  

Did you end up getting the DEQX?  If not, you might consider using the sub and the RDES, as then you could get rid of some humps/suckouts in your room response.  No matter how low the Salks go, they can't change room modes.

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2005, 05:32 pm »
Great point, but doesn't the RDES stop at 200hz?

If so, wouldn't you want one (eq) that could go up to 250 or so for the HT3?

That way you could do room correction and speaker correction at the same time...

jermmd

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2005, 06:17 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I guess most people (everyone) feels there is no need for a sub with 2 channel playback. I'll experiment and see.

As far as the HT3A (DEQX model), I was not impressed enough by Jim's review to justify the extra cost. I'm going with the standard HT3's with no extras. If I can get my system to sound like what I heard at George's house, I will b more than satisfied.

Bingenito

« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2005, 06:22 pm »
Nice room and system. I just checked out your system link and in a room that is 22x12x7.5 I really think you are making a good call. My room is a little larger and I have all the bass I could want or need.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2005, 06:49 pm »
Quote from: jermmd
Thanks for the replies. I guess most people (everyone) feels there is no need for a sub with 2 channel playback. I'll experiment and see.

As far as the HT3A (DEQX model), I was not impressed enough by Jim's review to justify the extra cost. I'm going with the standard HT3's with no extras. If I can get my system to sound like what I heard at George's house, I will b more than satisfied.

You are almost there Joe!

Of course you will need the TacT preamp to get what you hear at my place.

George

WG

« Reply #10 on: 2 Sep 2005, 12:26 am »
George,

The subs sound very interesting.  Can you share more info and specs on these?

Thanks,
Will