OB Servo Sub Question

WC

OB Servo Sub Question
« on: 20 Jan 2018, 02:49 am »
I was thinking of trying out the OB Servo subs. I have a few questions.

I have a narrow room of about 9’ wide. I have 16 ft of depth so I have room to move them away from the front wall. I was going to try it out with Lx-mini speakers. Due to a combination of cost and a little cautiousness about OB subs (since I have not heard them), I was thinking of starting with a single 3 driver sub. I would lay it flat under my TV between the two LX-mini speakers. I could always add an additional driver and another amp to make a pair of duals. Is there anything that needs to done to the ampif it powering 2 or 3 drivers?

Early B.

Re: OB Servo Sub Question
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2018, 04:16 am »
Laying a servo sub underneath your TV won't work well. An OB sub needs plenty of room to breathe. You'll suffocate it and the sub will sound sub-par.

WC

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2018, 06:11 am »
Aren’t the sides of a Servo sub esentially a null? I will be giving it room in front and behind to breathe.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2018, 03:41 pm »
Aren’t the sides of a Servo sub esentially a null? I will be giving it room in front and behind to breathe.

So long as it has space behind it to breath then it will be fine.

And a triple on its side will work fine. You'll need three SW-12-16FR woofers and the A370PEQ amp.

This kit will do it for you: http://gr-research.com/servosubkit5.aspx

And yes, you can later add a fourth woofer and another amp to drive them as a pair of duals.

Be careful though. We'll spoil you, then you'll be ruined, and you won't be able to listen to another else.  :lol:

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2018, 07:50 pm »
I read this yesterday and started to post but got pulled away. I was going to say the same thing regarding the cabinet not being a problem because because of the nulls.

As long as the speaker is at least 3' from the front wall you'll get your breathing room. What I was thinking might be an issue is if the cabinet is deeper than the sub walls and close to them.

If the cabinet is deeper than the sub H frame of the sub walls wouldn't the cabinet and the floor act like wider side walls on the sub and change the response?

WC

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2018, 08:29 pm »
I would build the cabinet to support the TV. Since the TV is so thin, there is not really a need to make it wider than the subs. I figured it was better to put the TV on a cabinet instead of directly on the sub. There would most like be some vibrations, right?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2018, 08:32 pm »
Or use some vibration isolation material like Sorbothane between the sub and TV to reduce the TV vibration from the sub.  Just put it under the TV feet.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2018, 03:25 am »
I would build the cabinet to support the TV. Since the TV is so thin, there is not really a need to make it wider than the subs. I figured it was better to put the TV on a cabinet instead of directly on the sub. There would most like be some vibrations, right?

That should work pretty well if the width is the same. I would do what Hal said and use vibration control if you're going to put the TV on the sub.