Song 3 Encore - the wait might kill me.

mixsterdude

Re: Song 3 Encore - the wait might kill me.
« Reply #20 on: 21 Apr 2017, 10:16 pm »
Hi.  I've had my "version" of the Song3's since about Xmas.  They do use the AT mids and the beryllium tweeters.  Here a picture:

Oh my!!!  Those are gorgeous!!  I forgot that you got the beryllium tweeters.  I'm curious, what steered you towards the AT mid?  Is it warmer, more revealing,...?

johzel

« Reply #21 on: 21 Apr 2017, 10:38 pm »
Oh my!!!  Those are gorgeous!!  I forgot that you got the beryllium tweeters.  I'm curious, what steered you towards the AT mid?  Is it warmer, more revealing,...?

Correct. I was looking for speakers that would feature a warm detailed midrange.  I ran across this description from Jim referring to these AT drivers: 
"These Audio Technology drivers are among the nicest sounding mid-woofers being made today.  They are warm and engaging and the resulting sound is excellent."

I originally used them in a pair of Silks and liked them so much I asked to use them in the Song3's - and Jim made it happen.

mixsterdude

« Reply #22 on: 21 Apr 2017, 11:42 pm »
Very nice!!  I'm looking forward to hearing how these Eton mids sound!!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #23 on: 22 Apr 2017, 12:16 am »
Yes. Heard them. Very good.

jackmonster

« Reply #24 on: 22 Apr 2017, 01:43 am »
Just heard these at Axpona today with the Eton midrange driver.  Oh My!  Jim hit it out of the park again

Big Red Machine

« Reply #25 on: 22 Apr 2017, 01:02 pm »
I think the S3E sound fantastic!  The only reason I went to Axpona was to hear the S3-A and the S3E.

BRM, sorry I didn't get to meet you.  After you and your wife walked out of the State room this morning, I asked Mary if that was you since you are a big guy.  And Mary confirmed.

You should have chased me down!

And now you can confirm my rugged handsomeness!!

mixsterdude

« Reply #26 on: 23 Apr 2017, 05:39 pm »
I'm curious, for those of you that heard them at the show, how is the mid of the Song3 Accuton vs the mid of the Song3 Encore?

csmgolf

« Reply #27 on: 24 Apr 2017, 04:02 pm »
It is very difficult to compare the two. Completely different rooms with different electronics. Both performed well, but my preference based on inexact comparison would be the encores. They were outstanding, very open with great detail, but also excellent tone and imaging. I did not get to hear them compared to the Exoticas, which would have been an interesting comparison. I have heard many Salk speakers at multiple shows. Of all that I have heard, within my price range, the Encore would be at the top of the list.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #28 on: 24 Apr 2017, 04:58 pm »
I have the opposite opinion. Just my opinion. I much preferred the Accuton midrange over the Eton midrange. I would take the 3A any day over the Encore. The larger room may have given the impression of a wider more open soundstage. For me, having spent considerable time in both, I suggested a few things to Jim about the Eton midrange that he is going to look at crossover-wise.

bahorn1

« Reply #29 on: 24 Apr 2017, 08:03 pm »
I have the opposite opinion. Just my opinion. I much preferred the Accuton midrange over the Eton midrange. I would take the 3A any day over the Encore. The larger room may have given the impression of a wider more open soundstage. For me, having spent considerable time in both, I suggested a few things to Jim about the Eton midrange that he is going to look at crossover-wise.

Hmmm.  I much preferred the sound in the Encores room than the S3-A room.  However, the Encores were in a much larger room and had better components.  So it was harder for me to assess the Eton midrange vs. the Accuton midrange.  One thing I did note was that voices were more veiled in the S3-A room than the Encores room.

I'm tempted to get a version of the Song 3 but not sure which one.  The Encores are a little big for where I'd be putting them.  I'm already thinking I need to sell my HT3s due to an upcoming move and the HT3s are too big.  The size of the S3/S3-A works better.  I was thinking of asking Jim if he could do a version of the Encores with the 7.5 inch Satori woofer.  Based on your opinion, which I respect since you have much more experience listening across the Salk line, I'd probably be happy with the S3-A or S3 BEATS.

johzel

« Reply #30 on: 24 Apr 2017, 08:07 pm »

Would love to compare both with the version of the Song3's I own (BEATs) that used the Audio Technology midrange.  We may have to have a Song3 shootout!!  :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #31 on: 24 Apr 2017, 08:14 pm »
Limiting factor was the dac imo. It was not allowing the speakers to do their best.

mixsterdude

« Reply #32 on: 25 Apr 2017, 12:11 am »
Limiting factor was the dac imo. It was not allowing the speakers to do their best.

What dac was that?

jackmonster

« Reply #33 on: 25 Apr 2017, 12:43 am »
I heard both rooms at Axpona.  You really can't compare the two.  The Encores had much better electronics.  $15,000 Wells integrated amp and Exogal Dac and power supply.  The Song 3 Sa's had very inexpensive Schitt products to power them.  No comparison at all. The Encores were simply outstanding.  I much as I like the Exotica 3's, I think I got more emotionally attached to the Encores.  I'm seriously thinking of buying them.  I heard the Song 3's(regular ones) last year at Axpona with a less expensive Wells integrated.  Really, really good.  I knew Jim would sell a bunch of them ; especially at that prize.  I'm not here to bash anyone, but the Schitt products were not really good with the Song 3 -SA's.  A gentleman next to me commented that they sounded "thin".  I agree.  Again; it was Friday and maybe equipment was not broken in.
I know the Song 3- Sa's are good- they just didn't put their best foot forward when I was listening.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #34 on: 25 Apr 2017, 12:45 am »
Bifrost in room 408. The Exogal dac in the lower level was very good. But they were two different price point rooms on purpose.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #35 on: 25 Apr 2017, 02:33 am »

I'll jump in here since I did the crossover for both and could listen to them in the same room with the same electronics and program material.  Under those circumstances, they sounded very similar. I may have had a small preference for the Eton, but they're both superb midranges.   The main difference was in bass extension.  At the show, I much preferred the Encores.  I don't usually think electronics make much difference, but I think they did in this case.  "Thin" was also the adjective that came to my mind when I listened in room 408.  I think you're in in the minority on this one BRM.  And Jim--don't you dare change the crossover.   I'll run off with Mary if you do. 

Bubba12

« Reply #36 on: 25 Apr 2017, 02:42 am »
I went to Axpona and rest assured the Encore was soooooo good. I own the Song3 which are awesome in my smallish room. The Encore is fantastic though and you will be happy as Hell.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #37 on: 26 Apr 2017, 12:47 am »
I went to Axpona and rest assured the Encore was soooooo good. I own the Song3 which are awesome in my smallish room. The Encore is fantastic though and you will be happy as Hell.

Nice photo of the Encores here:
http://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/axpona-2017-salk-signature-sound-wells-audio-exogal-gingko-audio-danacable.1496/

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #38 on: 26 Apr 2017, 12:58 am »
It appears there was a typo on pricing for the Encores. In the link above, the Encore is listed as $3895.

I'll take two pairs at that price - one for Taiwan and one for domestic consumption.  8)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #39 on: 26 Apr 2017, 11:04 am »