Treo's sound the best they ever have

ctsooner

Treo's sound the best they ever have
« on: 10 Oct 2016, 06:08 pm »
now that I have my new Ayre QX5 Twenty in the system and burning in.  I thought my old Empirical DAC was great and it was, but this new DAC only has 50 hours on it and it's blowing away any DAC I've had in here and I've had the Trinity and Berkley Ref 2.  I will try and get a Rossini with clock in here when this DAC is broken in, but honestly, it's going to be very close.  The Ayre is just musical as well as detailed.  Both micro and macro dynamics are amazing and will only get better with break in. I'm hearing bass on the Treo's that I haven't heard in the room yet.  Even smother on top now that I" past the 50 hour mark. 

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Re: Treo's sound the best they ever have
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2016, 08:38 pm »
That's good news about the Ayers, thanks for posting that. I was a bit confused reading your earlier Treo posts. One post seemed to suggest that you were buying the CTs, and yet another seemed to say that Vandersteen himself suggested that you buy the regular Treos instead, not the CTs.
Did you have a chance to hear the two Treos side-by-side and which do you prefer? Some seem to say that the upgrade to the CTs is defintely worth the coin, other ACers seem to suggest that the upgrade is not that much of an improvement. Thoughts?

Best,
Lester

ctsooner

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2016, 10:16 pm »
I'm actually selling the Treo's and upgrading to the Quatro as I want the active bass in my room.  I've heard the CT's and own the last generation of the original ones.  I've heard both in various rooms and systems ranging from ultra expensive electronics to entry level NAD integrateds.  Do I think there is a difference between the two?  Of course there is.  I got mine the week the CT's came out. I was given the opportunity to get the CT's, but was talked out of it to save money.  I have not problem with that either as there is a big difference with better electronics, but it's not huge if that make sense.  I'd be making the upgrade to the Quatro's regardless. 

I think the upgrade depends solely on what you are using with them and how much your budget allows.  I've had a bunch of inquiries on the speakers I'm selling and it's because they are so close in sound to the CT version and the savings on a used pair is huge.  I do look forward to having carbon tweeters as the sound is incredible, but I guess that takes nothing away the ceramic coated ones, that were a standard until a few years ago.  Everyone has their own option based on their own circumstances is the best way to put it I guess.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2016, 10:33 am »
So to your ears, the Quatros sound better than the Treo CTs which sound better than the Treo (standard). I've
been able to spend some time listening to the CTs and they are very impressive. If the Quatros surpass them, they must be very special.

ctsooner

« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2016, 03:06 pm »
Of course they surpass them, lol.  That powered sub is a huge difference maker in air moved as well as set up ease goes.  I don't find a huge difference between the CT's and the one's I have for sale.  There is a difference though, but like all high end, there is a diminishing point of return. Anyone looking at my used Treo's vs the CT's will probably go for mine since the price difference is so vast.  As you go up in the line, they get better and better obviously.  The Quatro to me, is the best value in the Vandersteen line.  It also costs over 14k and then you need the crossover.