What amp are you using with your Songtowers

0425antgray

What amp are you using with your Songtowers
« on: 28 Sep 2016, 10:28 am »
I have a Yamaha integrated amp, the AS1000.  The song towers are an amazing set of speakers, anyone had any luck pairing them with a great amplifier?

Big Red Machine

Re: What amp are you using with your Songtowers
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2016, 11:47 am »
Yes!!!

But put into perspective the overall budget for your system and what your goals are. Are the ST's your final journey or a stop on the bandwagon? Depending on where you are headed will dictate how much you "invest" in amplifiers.

I am sure the Yamaha is decent, but I can guarantee you an upscale amp will really make them sing. And don't forget about tubed amps.

Don't sweat it, there's only a million choices out there! :duh: :thumb:

0425antgray

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2016, 12:01 pm »
Yes!!!

But put into perspective the overall budget for your system and what your goals are. Are the ST's your final journey or a stop on the bandwagon? Depending on where you are headed will dictate how much you "invest" in amplifiers.

I am sure the Yamaha is decent, but I can guarantee you an upscale amp will really make them sing. And don't forget about tubed amps.

Don't sweat it, there's only a million choices out there! :duh: :thumb:

0425antgray

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2016, 12:39 pm »
The more I listen to them the more I like them. At this point yes I believe the song towers are my final resting spot. Right now, I am eyeballing the wells audio Majestic and the Rogue audio Cronus Magnum 2.

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2016, 01:32 pm »
The more I listen to them the more I like them. At this point yes I believe the song towers are my final resting spot. Right now, I am eyeballing the wells audio Majestic and the Rogue audio Cronus Magnum 2.

I had Songtower's and now I have Dennis Murphy's big brother speaker, the Philharmonic 3. I still miss my Songtowers.

I will say, don't undervalue your Yamaha. I have an A-S801 in my 2nd system and I used it for a short time with the STs. It was a great match. In fact, the guy I sold my STs to liked it so much he bought an A-S801.

I've owned the Wells Majestic and it is a fantastic amp. But honestly, for that kind of budget I think you can do better. In the effort to make the Wells "tube like" I feel like it was pushed too far to the extreme and doesn't sound natural. It was just too polite for me. Even on my Phils which have RAAL Ribbon Tweets.

I ran my ST's for most of their tenure in my home with a Job 225 and Pre2 combo and always thought that it was an amazing combo. I know you are looking at integrated's... so perhaps take a look at the Job Integrated. Reviews are good and I have no doubt it would be a great pairing. Price is excellent for what you get as well.

I'm currently pushing the Phil's with Odyssey Kismet Monoblock's and a Modwright LS100 preamp. The combo is fabulous. If you are willing to go seperates, I would consider an Odyssey Amp and matching Candela Tube Pre. I think the Odyssey stuff and Salk is a great match.

I would also seriously consider looking at Prima Luna and Line Magnetic for tube integrateds. I would take either of them over the Rogue.

My 2 cents.

- Woody

0425antgray

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2016, 01:43 pm »
I have heard through the grapevine that tubes sound good with the song Towers. And also either way, integrated or separates I'd really prefer to keep it under 3500

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2016, 02:05 pm »
I have heard through the grapevine that tubes sound good with the song Towers.

That's a big 10-4 good buddy.  :thumb:  I drove my STs with an AVA Fetvalve 550 for 7 years, then swapped that out for the AVA Ultravalve @ 35 wpc. Whole different & to my ears, better, sound. While all the usual factors come in play - room size, treatments, type of music, and listening levels, I doubt you'd be disappointed with the change. As to how low you can go powerwise with tubes is probably better addressed by Jim or others with experience. I know for my experience while the hybrid was a viable backup, I wouldn't change back unless forced.

Maybe worth noting I was using an AVA Ultra EC pre most of the time with the STs, with some AVA T-8 time, and finally an AVA CF tube pre.

0425antgray

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2016, 02:13 pm »
I am very intrigued by Frank Van Alstyne products.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2016, 02:39 pm »
+1 for AVA. I have a tube preamp/ss power amp that used to run ST's. Now AVA runs my new Phil's 3 and ST's are powered by an old NAD.  NAD needs to be replaced for sure.

I think you can get a T10 tube preamp and Synergy 240 for $2100 plus shipping,  and save the rest for buying good recordings as you will need them!

0425antgray

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2016, 04:53 pm »
I really appreciate everyone's response. I did send Jim, the mastermind who built my speakers, a pm.

mick wolfe

« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2016, 06:11 pm »
The SongTowers have been an easy drive for every amp or integrated I've tried. Tube amps include Latino ST70, Latino ST120, VTL 50/50, Line Magnetic 218ia( integrated). Solid state includes Classdaudio SDS 254 and Music Hall A25.2 .( integrated ) The 4 ohm impedance rating was no issue whatsoever for any of the tube amps. All the amps mentioned aside from the integrateds were used with a tube pre-amp.

audiocrazy

« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2016, 07:07 pm »
When I had ST initially I used Outlaw multi-channel 770 and then upgraded to Parasound Halo A21.
Parasound made the Song Tower sing more beautifully.
I also used Parasound with SS8 but then i upgraded to ATI Signature Series Amp.