New Salk StreamPlayer web site

jsalk

Re: New Salk StreamPlayer web site
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jul 2015, 05:37 pm »
Jim,

I have my stream player 2 for quite a while so I guess my streamer is V1 version? What is the different between two versions? Is there a way to upgrade my unit to V2 version if I want too?

Thanks,
Quan

Quan -

You have Rev 1 of the Generation II operating system.  We just finished work on Rev 2 using a Linux compilation we generated ourselves.  So your's is not upgrade-able to Rev 2 directly.  But you can remove the hard drive from your system and sent it do us.  We can transfer your music over to a new drive with the new OS on it and send it back to you.  Let me know if you want to do this.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jul 2015, 11:35 pm »
I noticed this in the PDF doc regarding setup:

"There are basically only three things you need to connect to get things going: 1) Power; 2) Ethernet; and, 3) a USB DAC (or S/PDIF if that option is ordered)."

Is an Ethernet connection still required if you order the player with the wifi option?  The requirement for an Ethernet connection one thing that kept me away from earlier versions.

(Ummmm.....why is Audiocircle showing someone else's avatar on my posts and profile!?  Hmmm...changing browsers fixed it (it's messed up with Safari)).

Ern Dog

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jul 2015, 02:44 am »
Jim,
Do notice any sonic differences between the USB input vs the Spidf input?

What are the benefits to the wifi upgrade?

Thanks,
Ernie

jsalk

« Reply #23 on: 25 Jul 2015, 12:54 pm »
I noticed this in the PDF doc regarding setup:

"There are basically only three things you need to connect to get things going: 1) Power; 2) Ethernet; and, 3) a USB DAC (or S/PDIF if that option is ordered)."

Is an Ethernet connection still required if you order the player with the wifi option?  The requirement for an Ethernet connection one thing that kept me away from earlier versions.

(Ummmm.....why is Audiocircle showing someone else's avatar on my posts and profile!?  Hmmm...changing browsers fixed it (it's messed up with Safari)).

I always prefer an Ethernet connection as it is more reliable.  If none is available, an Ethernet powerline adapter or wireless Ethernet bridge is an option.  But if you think about it, once music is installed on the StreamPlayer, the only external communications required in its operation are commands from and results to the remote control app you are using to control it.  No bandwidth is required for music since the music bitstream is not moving across the network as long as the music is stored on the StreamPlayer's internal drive.  So it should work just fine with wi-fi.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2015, 11:37 am by jsalk »

jsalk

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jul 2015, 12:56 pm »
Jim,
Do notice any sonic differences between the USB input vs the Spidf input?

What are the benefits to the wifi upgrade?

Thanks,
Ernie

There should be no difference between USB and S/DIF except that file resolutions may be limited with S/PDIF.  USB is preferred.

If you have an Ethernet connection (or can provide on via the methods in the previous post), there is no advantage to wi-fi.

- Jim

Ern Dog

« Reply #25 on: 25 Jul 2015, 03:06 pm »
I believe I have the generation 1 model and I'm considering upgrading to newest version, but I'm not sure how it would benefit me.  Would the new generation sound better or perform better?  My unit already has rock solid performance.

I'd like to use my Stream player to play pandora music.  To do this I would need to use the AirPlay feature on my Apple products and that would entail purchasing an Apple TV.  Is this correct?    Would the Streamplayer need to be configured to interface with the Apple TV or is it a simple a plug and play procedure?

Saturn94

« Reply #26 on: 25 Jul 2015, 04:19 pm »
I believe I have the generation 1 model and I'm considering upgrading to newest version, but I'm not sure how it would benefit me.  Would the new generation sound better or perform better?  My unit already has rock solid performance.

I'd like to use my Stream player to play pandora music.  To do this I would need to use the AirPlay feature on my Apple products and that would entail purchasing an Apple TV.  Is this correct?    Would the Streamplayer need to be configured to interface with the Apple TV or is it a simple a plug and play procedure?

Great question.  Reading about the gen 2 player I assumed you could stream directly to it via AirPlay (no Apple TV required).

Now that you ask, I'm not so sure and also would like to know the answer since I don't have Apple TV nor plan to get it.  I would like to be able to stream things like Spotify, Amazon Music, etc. from my iPad to the player using AirPlay.

jsalk

« Reply #27 on: 25 Jul 2015, 04:19 pm »

As long as the original Generation I is performing well in your set-up, a new Generation II StreamPlayer would not sound any better than what you have.

The only advantage I can see is that the new unit would have AirPlay built in.  You would not need Apple TV as you can stream directly to the StreamPlayer from any device with Airplay capabilities.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #28 on: 25 Jul 2015, 05:20 pm »
...The only advantage I can see is that the new unit would have AirPlay built in.  You would not need Apple TV as you can stream directly to the StreamPlayer from any device with Airplay capabilities.

- Jim

Sweet! :)

Time to start saving for a new toy. :D

Ern Dog

« Reply #29 on: 25 Jul 2015, 05:34 pm »
As long as the original Generation I is performing well in your set-up, a new Generation II StreamPlayer would not sound any better than what you have.

The only advantage I can see is that the new unit would have AirPlay built in.  You would not need Apple TV as you can stream directly to the StreamPlayer from any device with Airplay capabilities.

- Jim

Excellent news!  Thanks Jim!

strat95

« Reply #30 on: 26 Jul 2015, 05:07 am »
How about DXD files?  Can the SalkStream play them?

jsalk

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jul 2015, 11:37 am »
How about DXD files?  Can the SalkStream play them?

Yes.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #32 on: 26 Jul 2015, 11:47 am »
Computers are not my forté, so forgive me if this is a silly question......

Since the player will be connected to my home network, is there any type of virus protection needed?  If not, why?

Thanks. :)

jsalk

« Reply #33 on: 28 Jul 2015, 02:12 pm »
Computers are not my forté, so forgive me if this is a silly question......

Since the player will be connected to my home network, is there any type of virus protection needed?  If not, why?

No.  Think of it this way.  If you have a DVR, there is likely no virus protection needed for it.  Devices like a DVR or the StreamPlayer are based on stripped-down versions of Linux.  This is a very unlikely target for viruses as there is really nothing of value to hack.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #34 on: 28 Jul 2015, 11:54 pm »
No.  Think of it this way.  If you have a DVR, there is likely no virus protection needed for it.  Devices like a DVR or the StreamPlayer are based on stripped-down versions of Linux.  This is a very unlikely target for viruses as there is really nothing of value to hack.

- Jim

HAITIMAN

« Reply #35 on: 29 Jul 2015, 03:49 pm »
Jim,

What is the turn-around time for a custom model, say, with wifi?

jsalk

« Reply #36 on: 29 Jul 2015, 04:56 pm »
Jim,

What is the turn-around time for a custom model, say, with wifi?

About 10 days.

- Jim

mritschdorff

« Reply #37 on: 27 Sep 2015, 04:56 pm »
I’ve had the pleasure of listening to the StreamPlayer for two months and I’m well pleased with it. Immediately I noticed low noise levels which revealed subtle nuances in music, which weren’t present before the StreamPlayer. 
One of the reasons I purchased the StreamPlayer is that I wanted a player that was easy and convenient to use. I have the version 2 StreamPlayer that allows you to switch seamlessly back and forth from the hard drive content to streaming services such as Tidal.  Jim is an absolute pleasure to deal with, as he was very patient with questions I asked.
The intricate machining on the aluminum faceplate is very aesthetically pleasing and the compact case design allows placement in almost every situation. 
The Stream Player represents a significant improvement in sound for the money – a great value!

Saturn94

« Reply #38 on: 21 Nov 2015, 05:29 pm »
Does the new Streamplayer support "Gapless audio playback"? ..... I hope I have that term right....where tracks blend seamlessly together when called for...  Or is that a function of the control app you're using?

Thanks.

PSB Guy

« Reply #39 on: 21 Nov 2015, 10:56 pm »
Does the new Streamplayer support "Gapless audio playback"? ..... I hope I have that term right....where tracks blend seamlessly together when called for...  Or is that a function of the control app you're using?

Thanks.
MPD (the music server software the Salkstreamer uses) supports gapless playback.

Cornelis