Another New SS 8 Owner

SCompRacer

Re: Another New SS 8 Owner
« Reply #20 on: 14 Dec 2013, 04:59 pm »
I've had my eye on those WFS Mono's the last couple of months. Good to hear you're impressed.

It must sound incredible in that room.

Thanks! Such good sound and my wife loves the look!

So far I have yet to make them sound poorly. :thumb: Going into this, Jim and my friend Mike felt a tube pre would be a better pairing than all SS. Mike builds speakers and is very sharp. He was the one that nudged me into the SoundScapes. He felt that they would be closer to and better sounding than my dipole ESL's. It seems that amps that didn't work well with other box type speakers work great with the SS 8's. I'm into a dynamic, detailed, neutral with some warmth type sound.

The old Krell KSL I re-furbed is a warm sounding Class A SS pre. It has the KSL phono card that I also re-capped and added 1% NOS Siemens Styroflex polystyrenes to it. I have a Krell KRC HR pre here that can get fatiguing with some A/B type amps but sounds good with a warmer Class A amp. I should have that amp here to try in early January.

I grew up with vinyl but love the convenience of digital based music. I built a dual mono Twisted Pear Buffalo III DAC a couple years ago to get me closer to that less handled and filtered analog sound. I am closer than ever but folks still like my vinyl sound better. An LCD display with Arduino I2C serial controller running modified HiFiDuino code with Apple remote controls it.

I can do USB to I2S or S/PDIF in with my DAC. I2S is the serial communication used in your CD player where clock and data are separate. The clock is embedded in an S/PDIF signal and the DAC must sort it out.  While the ESS Sabre DAC chip does a great job with S/PDIF, I2S in sounds better.

I modded a Denon 3910 to export I2S (CD) and DSD (SACD) to my DAC. When I have music meets some folks bring their own discs to play. I also know some purists who refuse to embrace hard drive based digital.

My vinyl is handled by a heavy plinth heavy platter Lenco L75 idler drive. I cut the top plate and built a heavy plinth for it. Eventually I got tired of the high gloss all black finish and wrapped it with some maple accented with walnut corners. Originally the plinth was designed to use 9" to 12" arms and was near complete when a linear tracking air bearing arm popped up used. I stuck an arm board off the rear to mount it.

It is like I was preparing for my Salk moment in time...lol

SCompRacer

« Reply #21 on: 10 Jan 2014, 05:02 pm »
The old beast, a Krell KSA-250 amp, has arrived. Kind of like me, old, complicated, but still useful. :lol: Refurbed by Krell so it should last me a long time. As good as the other amps I had tried, this one sounds the best. A nasty head cold has interfered with my listening experience. Hope to recover by the weekend.

Ern Dog

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jan 2014, 05:30 pm »
Glad you found a good match to drive your SS8's.  I had a class A amp and loved the sound.  It was a Pass Labs xa30.5. I wonder how that amp would sound with those speakers.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jan 2014, 03:30 am »
Salivating over your turntable

Very nice

Enjoy you ss8s.

SCompRacer

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2014, 04:46 am »
Ernie, I would think they would sound great with that amp! Thanks audiotom!

For several years I was content being a hybrid ESL owner until the different bug bit. They were dipole flat panels with transmission line bass modules. Great bass but they had a small but wonderful sweet spot. Move out of the sweet spot and the treble falls off the cliff. My concern was losing the expansive soundstage and transparency an ESL system provides. Well, I didn't trade down with my SoundScape 8's.

My west wall setup has the speakers in a living room open to main level. The room measures 15' x 16' to a short corner chimney wall. The main level continues on for another 23' x 20'. Ceiling height is 14' on the main level. The SS8's are 21" off the back wall and 46" from the side wall and chimney corner wall. They are 7.5' apart and I sit the same distance away. This was arrived at by trial and error and doing room sweeps. Sub placement was done the same way. The subs just shore up the low frequencies. They don't come in for most music, but will with my Telarc Michael Murray Bach The Great Organ at Methuen album.

I have two stacked GIK Tri-Traps in the left corner, and one each in opposing corners. One GIK 244 panel is on wall behind and between speakers. At first I made the mistake of placing them with all room treatments in place from the previous speakers. This resulted in a disappointing sound as the mid range was minus 10-15dB in some frequencies, so I removed treatments from behind each speaker. At this time the SoundScapes are not toed in at all. I am using the open grill on rear of midrange with stuffing.

Gear wise I have been all tube and tube / SS mix. I prefer to remain all SS now. To me the Raal tweeter begs for no roll off of the highs. Amp wise I tried a Sanders ESL AB amp and the Wyred4Sound SX-1000 mono blocks. Both worked well, plenty of detail and dynamics, but perhaps too neutral. Some might say dry or sterile without a tubed pre. The old Class A Krell KSA-250 fixed that. I actually gained some bass and had to dial the subs down. It is an old and complex design, but still has a cult following. I have detail, dynamics, and musicality. Very involving. Just the right amount of warmth for me. I embrace both digital and vinyl here. My diy dual mono digital sounds very good, but the vinyl does edge it out.

I am all over in music genre. Just about anything but rap. One of my desert island choices and demo albums would be Talk Talk / Colour Of Spring. Hollis's nasally vocals have always set a hook in me. This album stepped away from the synthesized pop of their earlier albums.  One of my fav tracks is the first, Happiness Is Easy. This track features drums, a wicked snare, weird chord, three percussionists, a very closely miked accoustic bass, electric bass, guitar, piano, Steve Winwood on a Hammond organ and a children's choir. The acoustic guitar and piano seem to dance gracefully in and out. On a good system some of the notes from the eight supporting musicians can be surprising; on a great system they can be startling. For a one note system resolution measurement, I like Pink Floyd / The Wall; 'The Happiest Days Of Our Lives' The simultaneous kick drum/choked snare. Amazed at the details and decay I hear in that short moment in time.

Some of my other favorite demos are Jennifer Warnes / The Hunter, 'Way Down Deep.'  Patty Larkin / Regrooving the Dream; 'Hand Full of Water' features an acoustic guitar with notes that decay into tomorrow. 'When' has a blistering guitar and drum duel. 'Mink Coats,' haunting vocals and deep drum. Sergio Mendes / Brasileiro; 'Magalenha' starts out quietly with a ringing toca triangle, male then female vocals and then the drums come in! Drums with a beat that will get any woman in the room on her feet dancing (it has worked like that here on occasion anyway).

So I now I have an expansive soundstage, transparency, off the chart dynamics and slam. I mean chills and hairs up on the back of my neck. The SoundScape 8's seem to have no limitations; they excel at everything I play on them. They sound fantastic at both low and high volume. They look fantastic! This is one of the best systems I have ever put together. High marks to Jim and the Salk crew!

Some other fun demo tracks.

Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Pops Orchestra / Time Warp (flac) / Strauss: Introduction to Also Sprach Zarathustra

The Blue Nile / Hats (vinyl or my hi-res flac vinyl rip) / Seven A.M. (or any other track on that album)

Deadmau5 / 4x4=12 (flac) / Sofi Needs a Ladder

Steely Dan / Gaucho (Universal 200 gram vinyl Japanese pressing) / Babylon Sisters

Nirvana / Nevermind (Universal 200 gram vinyl Japanese pressing) / Smells Like teen Spirit or In Bloom at ~105dB

Austin08

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jan 2014, 06:20 am »
Nice review, I got the same feeling with bass trap behind each speaker. So I end up with diffuser behind each speaker and 2x4x4" bass trap in the middle in front of TV. Sound much better that way.

I also like to listen to Pink Floyd/the wall 180g vinyl. I felt the jet plane went right over my roof. The SS8 was realy shake my house. Talking a bout kick drum, oh my, did you try Eagle/Hotel California 180g vinyl? So real. But my most favorite are Eva Cassidy/Song bird/Over the rainbow/Xrcd24. Her voice and the acoustic guitar is still haunting me. The SS8, IMO, is the only few speakers that I have heard (regardless of price) that has ability of reproduce the most accurate human voice.

Happy listening!!!

fsimms

« Reply #26 on: 13 Jan 2014, 05:39 pm »
Thanks for the report!   :thumb:

When I saw that you were going from Sanders to SoundScapes I was a bit worried.  One other SoundScape owner sold his SoundScapes in favor of Sanders speakers.  I was always puzzled by that.  No speaker is right for everyone.  I guess that is especially true with one that may require some adjustments to sound their best.

Bob

SCompRacer

« Reply #27 on: 13 Jan 2014, 06:35 pm »
Thanks for the kind words!

When I was a young feller an old feller told me sometimes we chase different and call it better. Now that I am an old feller I believe that can be true. Aside from the small sweet spot, the InnerSound/Sanders speakers I had for several years are outstanding speakers. Roger also has great customer service, even in support of the older InnerSound products. I think the ESL's did better with acoustic, orchestra and blues than with rock or dubstep. (I'm old but not dead yet...lol. I like some Deadmau5 and Skrillex now and then). I think the Salk's do everything well, no limitations. Maybe I lost some of the dipole expansiveness, but gained in other areas.

I totally agree with you, no one size fits all with speakers and gear.

Rich